Headphones that sound like grados but look nice and feel good?
Aug 30, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by killer_deep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those would be my pair of Goldring DR150's selling on ebay
wink.gif

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=290154784070

I'm a big Grado/Alessandro fan, and I'd be keeping them if I wasn't so bloody broke.

S

In the end ultimately it is about the sound, but my god for a $150 headphone those look so cheap. I am wondering though, what are the pads made of? From the angle photographed they look almost identical to the HD580/600/650 pads.

Aug 30, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #18 of 33
If you love the Grado sound so much.

Ummm, I'd buy a Grado then.

Someone must know some great mods for Grados to improve comfort.

Personally, I love reading the mods people use on their phones. Fun to read what someone might suggest for you

Aug 30, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #19 of 33
Of course, some of us here have owned Grados and moved on. Former RS-2 and also HD-650 owner here, for one. Why do you ask? True even with the lightweight woodied RS series there is still ear contact, which can be something you get use to, but even then it's a constant reminder. I personally thought they were hyper sexy looking both in use and on display.

The sonic presentation IS most unique with its "on stage" aside the musicians peerspective, simply lovely to experience that with one of the best amps for the Grados, my MAD! However, I evolved to find soundstage is something in their presentation I did miss, and my other cans provide that in spades esspecially with the Opera. There is no right or wrong in all of this, but hyper personal preferance ... They should definatly be experienced at one time or another in ones phone journey, and I may even pick up another pair in the future, they are that much fun
wink.gif

I don't think you'll find anything that sounds alot like these Grados, really.

Aug 30, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
grado has its own signature that doesn't compare to any other brand. i find that the lower end grados such as the SR60 and MS1 tend to be the most comfortable. on the other end, the RS1 with the bowls are also comfortable as they're so light.

I have been pleasantly surprised with how comfortable my new RS-1's have been -- I like them much better than my old SR325, and way better than the SR60's I had.

Lightweight, and very little clamping force.

Sound great, too, of course!
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #25 of 33
what is your budget?

For a mere 500$, you can get an AT ath-ad2000, which I believe sounds a bit like a grado (I listened to grados only a few times, so take it with a grain of salt) : tight bass, liquid midrange, a bit bright highs (however less than grados), upfront soundstage, very open presentation.

Aug 31, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #27 of 33
Have you tried DT880, they do sound somewhat Gradoish? At least they replaced my MS2i because of the comfort issues and inferior quality, and I've been more than happy with the substitute.

Aug 31, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 325i that Headphile Larry mounted in a HD580 housing that I've been trying to sell. Sennheisers look dorky though.

Can you be more specific on your meaning of "dorky"?
HD650 is one of the best looking phones that I've known. If you are talking about getting out with them on, then it's a completely different issue, as any more or less serious headphones will look dorky on a guy wearing them on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back