Headphones that have more 'BASS' than the Sony XB500?
Mar 31, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 22
if price isn't a factor, Ultrasone PRO900. King of all bass, and nothing else.

the XB1000 doesn't even compare to the PRO900.

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 22
The Pro 900's have better quality bass, with more detail and texture. The XB500's have more quantity relative to the other frequencies, though. The XB500's are already ridiculously far from neutral, so if you want more bass you'll have to use equalization. Find a headphone that does bass well like the Pro 900's and turn down the mids and treble (instead of turning up the bass).

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 22
The xb500 has more slam, but I say get the xb700 if you are looking for sub bass w/ vibration. Also grab one of the fiio amp with bass boost like the E7 or E17. Should get you that sub bass. I heard the q40 bass strong bass also night want to do research on that as well.

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 22
nop get new phones instead. Phones change things the most . The xb500 has been tested not to do well with an amp. 

That last sentence defies everything I have ever heard about amping the xb's... including my own experience.

do you have reason for saying goes phones change change the most? you say it quite bluntly. I think that is pretty variable dependent.

Also, he said he just wanted more bass. I would consider that equally as amp dependent as headphone dependent overall. it all depends on how the headphone responds to amping, which brings me back to my point that the xb gains more with a good amp than any other headphone I've used. if you look around the forum I doubt anyone that actually owns them would agree with you.

Mar 31, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
That last sentence defies everything I have ever heard about amping the xb's... including my own experience.

do you have reason for saying goes phones change change the most? you say it quite bluntly. I think that is pretty variable dependent.

Also, he said he just wanted more bass. I would consider that equally as amp dependent as headphone dependent overall. it all depends on how the headphone responds to amping, which brings me back to my point that the xb gains more with a good amp than any other headphone I've used. if you look around the forum I doubt anyone that actually owns them would agree with you.

Sorry if it'd such and seem like I was shooting you down. It wasn't my intention. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/538785/sony-mdr-xb500-vs-sony-mdr-xb700

You're correct in that amps can give more controlled bass/punch in instances, but they won't go as far as making them a lot more bassy.  Compared to what a phone can do with the sound signature and what the amp can do, a phone will change it much more.  A k701 won't get as big as a k1000 or get a v-moda won't become as refined as a grado. An amp will change a sig in some cases, but it won't make a huge difference when it comes to the quantity of something. But I just searched the zo2, and it has the bass boost, which would be the exception since it's essentially an EQ and amp. 

Again, I'm sorry if it seemed like I was attacking you. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 22
No worries.

But that's exactly what my amp does to my xb500, increases the bass. doesn't make it sound any better, just adds a ton of bass. I do agree that the sound signature is more phone dependent. Also, you just proved yourself wrong by bringing up the z02.

i think we are looking at this from different points of view. you're looking at an amp as something to help drive a power hungry headphone, which is probably more of what it is, and I see it as a way to change the sound and, for example, increase bass. I think that happens to me because I'm new to this hobby, and don't own a true amp. Just a speaker amp that absolutely makes my xb500s unlistenable because the bass hurts my ears.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 22
Why don't you get Pro900s AND a ZO2??? :D

Jun 12, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 22
pro 900's are poo they are not a basshead headphone they are a bass headphone the bass quantity of these is no where near xb's standards

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #13 of 22
These Sony XB500 headphones are really worth buying? I see I can buy them on amamzon.ca for just $65.00. I listen to all kinds of music and a lot of electronic so these might be fun but turned off by the pleather ear muffs. I rarely use my Shure 840 because pleather makes my ears sweat and I hate that, velour is so much more comfy.

If you want more bass play around with EQ.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 22
pro 900's are poo they are not a basshead headphone they are a bass headphone the bass quantity of these is no where near xb's standards

Dead wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back