Headphones that don't muss up hair?
Apr 21, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #16 of 27
Don`t worry about your hair.
Good headphones will attract the opposite sex also. Yep cute girls, loves my sexy cans.

Good headphones have panache
cool.gif
......damn I hate that word.

Apr 21, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
On that note, having no hair would improve the seal of the pads with the head, and improve the bass response!

So shave for sound!

Even the smilies have shaved heads.
eggosmile.gif

Apr 21, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
On that note, having no hair would improve the seal of the pads with the head, and improve the bass response!

So shave for sound!

ya, when i have a hat on the bass on my 280's goes to hell in a hand basket. but when i take it off and listen again the super deep bass is back. I for one hate having long hair, i cant even grow it past 4 inches because its so damn shaggy. I found that the px100 didnt mess up my hair much because they're so small, light, and the band is very thin.

Apr 21, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #20 of 27
Sony G74-SL's are suprisingly good with great bass for the price/portability, although while I haven't actually gotten to hear one of the 60ohm Koss line, from descriptions it seems that they may sound similar.

Apr 21, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #21 of 27
The upper end Sennheisers (HD580,HD600, HD650) have soft padded headbands that seem to be perfect if your worried about messing up your hair. I wear them with dry hair gel and it doesnt flake at all...

Apr 21, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeeaddict
Sony G74-SL's are suprisingly good with great bass for the price/portability, although while I haven't actually gotten to hear one of the 60ohm Koss line, from descriptions it seems that they may sound similar.

I own the street style MDR-G72s, which I'm guessing is the predecessor to the G74 you mention. I also recently acquired a set of Koss KSC-35s, the most well regarded of the Koss 60 Ohm driver series.

There is no competition.
smily_headphones1.gif

Using my personal reference CD, "The String Quartet Tribute to Coldplay" (hehe yeah I know, embarassing, but it's the closest thing to classical I have, but it sounds good and isn't butchered by the production process, it has a very live sound) the KSC35s blow the G72s away. Listening to the 35s is a pleasurable experience, you're able to hear each instrument individually -- the melodious resonance and vibratto. In contrast, listening to the G72s is like listening to all of that with several layers of foam wrapped around your head. It's aweful, everything is dulled and muted.

I'm open to the possibility though that the G74s feature a new driver -- does anyone know for sure? I'll try digging up the specs for both.

I keep the G72s around primarily for convinience, they are my "throw away" headphones that I use while walking to class and such.

edit: Based on the data:
MDR-G72
MDR-G74
It looks like the drivers are the same or very similar -- 30mm Neodymium drivers with an impedance of 24 Ohms and Sensitibity of 106 dB/mW

Apr 22, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #23 of 27
I used to have a lot of problem with "headphone hair", but a few months ago I discovered a solution which works very well for me -- I wear the headband forward so that it rests on my forehead. (I only do this at home or in familiar company because it does look a bit weird.)

I think this method may not work so well with those headphones where the cups are too oval, and those which have specially angled driver placements. Or those with very light pressure headbands, or very heavy headbands. Or for those whose hair cover their foreheads....

Oh, btw, in case anyone is visualising something like ET, my friends unanimously agree that I have a normal shaped head.

Apr 22, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #24 of 27
How about the high end Audio Technica clip ons like the ATH-EM9d, EM9r or EW9? Some may debate whether they are actually better than the KSC-35 and worth the big bucks, but in my opinion they have a much more refined sound (at least the EW9, I haven't tried the others).

Apr 22, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #25 of 27
i hate how my hd650s create this compressed ring of hair around my ears. in all fairness though, i do have these things on for hours and hours... but it sux bc my hair wont go back to normal for a while unless i really go wet it and fluff it out or something.
600smile.gif

Apr 22, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by geforcewong
The upper end Sennheisers (HD580,HD600, HD650) have soft padded headbands that seem to be perfect if your worried about messing up your hair. I wear them with dry hair gel and it doesnt flake at all...

I am afraid those are as bad for my appearance.
icon10.gif

It took people around here months to have the heart to tell me I looked like a complete idiot all the time, thanks to had been wearing the HD595
eek.gif
I started to use the HD650 instead but I liked the 595 better with on-board sound on that particular PC. My hair did not improve either. Just to make people have something to talk about, I started to wear the 595's up side down instead. You know, with the head band resting on the neck, which BTW also gives a tighter soundstage
rolleyes.gif
. But then people started to look strangely at me and I understood I had taken it too far
600smile.gif

Edit: Dear Doctor, should I shave the critical areas on top, like most of the men at my age here around seem to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back