Headphones that are similar to Etymotic ER-4Ps
Mar 23, 2010 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

The_Blood_Raven

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I've been researching a lot online, many will recognize me from my frantic pleas for help on here, and have talked about it to my friend who owns ER-4Ps, we got into the higher end IEMs together back with the ER-6s and then onto the ER-4Ps for him and Super.fi 5 Pros for me.

He asked me a question, but I don't know the answer. What full sized headphones are similar to the ER-4Ps for a decent price?

The best I can come up with the is Audio Technica A700s. The AD700s are touted as being very similar to the ER-6s with slightly less harsh highs and a much larger soundstage, but with the same general sound signature(IE very detail and neutral with no bass at all). Since the A700s should have more bass, not exaggerated just actually there, and a smaller soundstage I thought they would be close. This is because, at least to me, the ER-4Ps have very punchy, deep, and accurate bass without exaggeration or bloat at all while remaining as detailed an neutral as the ER-6s. This sounds pretty close to the descriptions of the A700s.

Am I close at all?

Thanks for your help.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 14
I think Ad700 and K701 sound similar to Er4p..

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 14
I haven't heard the er4·p, have the Phonak PFE (which is said to sound very similar), and IMO the Koss ESP-950 sounds very similar to the latter.

EDIT: The precide Ergo 2 sounds also very similar, just more neutral and with better bass response. (If I recall correctly, plus take my comments with a grain of salt
wink.gif
)

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioHi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Ad700 and K701 sound similar to Er4p..

So the A700s with their more present bass would be real close right? Are the AD700s truly as bass shy as the ER-6s?

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 14
Oops, just found something out. Apparently the ER6is have twice the bass of the original ER6s which is pretty close to the ER4Ps. I am talking about the original ER-6s, how do the AD700/A700s compare to them? Are they similar to the ER6is or ER6s when it comes to bass?

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K501, right down to having similar faults to the ER-4P though nowhere near as exaggerated. You will need an amp for these though.

That is a bit out of his price range, he said $150, and I'm not sure how flexible that is. I know he does not have an amp, he uses a Cowon D2 which pushes the ER4Ps pretty well I imagine.

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 14
A used Koss A/250 if you can find one

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 14
Well since I can't find half these recommendations and the ones I can are over the budget I'll stick with the ADs for now.

So since he listens to a lot of rock, classic, alternative, and some metal I'm guessing the A700s less airy sound and better bass response are the way to go over the AD700s?

Thanks for your help, I'm enjoying looking up these headphones even if they aren't in the budget, it was my fault for not posting it.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #10 of 14
Alright I've been reading some more, and since my friend tells me he is tending towards metal more I've looked up some more mellow cans than what I was looking at.

Now I see hundreds of posts online about Grado being the master of metal.

From what I gather they have no soundstage to speak of, are very in your face, but are pretty neutral from what I have read. How do these stack up? Maybe a bit more metal oriented but still very detailed like the ER4Ps and AD700s? I'm looking at the SR225i to be specific, I might find a deal.

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blood_Raven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is a bit out of his price range, he said $150, and I'm not sure how flexible that is. I know he does not have an amp, he uses a Cowon D2 which pushes the ER4Ps pretty well I imagine.

Sure. Except for the part where the K501 was $150, and is now probably a lot less on the used market. You're probably thinking of the K701 instead.

But if he doesn't have an amp, get the Koss A250, if you can find one. They do come up for sale now and again, you just have to be patient.

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure. Except for the part where the K501 was $150, and is now probably a lot less on the used market. You're probably thinking of the K701 instead.

But if he doesn't have an amp, get the Koss A250, if you can find one. They do come up for sale now and again, you just have to be patient.

The K501s are discontinued and this is the best price I can find:
AKG K 501 from zZounds.com

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 14
k501's have gotten a lot of "hype" and head-fi'er promotion since they were discontinued, I think the last few pairs sold in the FS forum were in the $150 range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back