Headphones suggestions for classical music
Jan 24, 2008 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Oistrakh

Headphoneus Supremus
I am currently using the Sennheiser HD-280 and the Shure E2c as my phones headphones. I did the kramer washer mod to the E2c.

I want to change my headphones. I listen to a lot/mainly classical, but not a lot of opera. The Sennheiser HD-280 is kind of bulky for me, and it sounds pretty flat and boring (not interactice). The Shure E2C, I don't think, is a good of an in-ear headphone anymore. Do you guys recommend something like Audio technica for my headphone? what would you recommend for my in ear headphone? (preferably in the 100-200 dollar range)... Also, some enya/beach boys, etc) Also, the shure line got updated recently (I just found out), any opinions of those for classical music?

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 41
The HD-555 and HD-595 are known for being great with classical music, because of how the veil blends sounds together and because of the great soundstage.

Jan 24, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 41
I haven't tried in-ear solutions for classical music myself but there has been few reviews for classical music in this forum (if you use the search function) I currently have K701s mated to BADA PH-12 tube amp and it does wonders.
From several reviews, HD600s, and K501s are amazing for classical music. I'm dying to try K501s as they provide fantastic soundstage ideal for classical music.
As for IEMs they don't provide much seperations of instruments and soundstage - if any - and you would look for good balance across midrange and and highs with tight, controlled bass that is not overpowering.
I have yet to try ANY IEMs so I was hoping to look into this as well.
Any ideas?

Jan 24, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #7 of 41
1. get the im716's for ~$55 right away
2. get a set of used k400/500/401/501

Stay away from the HD580/600 if you like fast German stuff. They just can't keep up without an amazing amp behind them.

Jan 24, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. get the im716's for ~$55 right away
2. get a set of used k400/500/401/501

Stay away from the HD580/600 if you like fast German stuff. They just can't keep up without an amazing amp behind them.

I know this is in wrong forum but what amp is good for HD600s that will be fast enough? I have BADA PH-12... would that be fast enough?
I can't really spend 700, 800 bucks on an amp :S I eat less to save money for headphones because I'm a poor student
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #9 of 41
I have a 500W dac/amp - and though it pputs out well on the headphone port - it was just not even close enough for it. I have heard them from a zana deux with stock and it was better, but balanced and it is a whole other headphone! If I had a balaced rig - it would have been a non-issue.

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #10 of 41
I listen to 80% classical music and I actually think the HD580 sound better than the K501's even without an amp. However, you've expressed dislike towards the Sennheiser sound signature so maybe you ought to stay away for a while. But so far, HD600 with amp is my favorite full size setup for classical.

As for IEMs, er-4's are definitely good for classical, although I would also highly recommend the Triple.fi 10, which have amazing dynamic range and details among universal IEMs. A step lower, you can still get amazing sound for a great value with the super.fi 5 pros. Shure e4c (i think it's now the SE3xx) isn't bad but loses when compared directly to the er-4s. There have been many good reviews of the IM716s, but I have not heard it and thus cannot comment about it.

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

I have a 500W dac/amp - and though it pputs out well on the headphone port - it was just not even close enough for it. I have heard them from a zana deux with stock and it was better, but balanced and it is a whole other headphone! If I had a balaced rig - it would have been a non-issue.

I don't think I'm just ready to step over to the balanced rig side just yet
biggrin.gif

I think I'll pursue K501s when I have some money
Thanks!!

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 41
Well,

i do listen a lot of classic and jazz too.

As headphones I would vividly recomend the K701! They are the ones for classical!

i do like HD580 too, but I prefer the natural and neutral K701

(i dont know what is your price tag for headphones, but you can find them around here quite cheap)

if you are looking to smaller or closed HP, I would say that you wont get the best answer to your needs... you would need to go through some high end denons or some nice AT. Even my ES7 (which I love) do not fulfil my need in classical! - it's another kind of listening! and as they are closed, all that bass needs to be well distributed around the HP chamber, which is quite dificult in smaller HP.

(I dont use IEM, so I wont talk about those)

CONCLUSION:

grab some K701 and start thinking about a decent DAC / AMP
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

Jan 24, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #13 of 41
Personally I like my AKG sextetts with one of my home recievers for classical, quite delightful to listen to much better IMO than my HD 580's for classical.

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

.....Stay away from the HD580/600 if you like fast German stuff. They just can't keep up without an amazing amp behind them.

Curious....what qualifies as "fast German stuff"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guarneri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to 80% classical music and I actually think the HD580 sound better than the K501's even without an amp. However, you've expressed dislike towards the Sennheiser sound signature so maybe you ought to stay away for a while. But so far, HD600 with amp is my favorite full size setup for classical.

x2. There's a reason that HD600's are a favorite can of classical recording engineers. The balance is more neutral than the HD650.

For me, the mix is about 75% classical, balance classic rock/jazz. I had K601's for a while and simply couldn't tolerate their cold/sterile nature, even though they had a wider soundstage. Drove them with a Millett, maxed desktop PIMETA, and a CK2III.......nothing seemed to make them work for me.

Concerning a "Senn house sound", as far as I'm concerned, the HD280's have little in common with the HD580/600/650's other than the name on the headband. Compare the frequency response plots on the HeadRoom site between the HD580/600/650 and you see a common shape, but then compare the HD600's versus the HD280's and you'll see how thoroughly different they are.

The only reason I own HD280's is that they are great to take on the road with a notebook to watch DVD's in a motel. My notebook can drive them well directly from the onboard jack, and their isolation is more than adequate to muffle noisy ventilation units.

I'll admit that the HD280's also a popular headphone for live session recording engineers, but I think it has more to do with isolation and "at least decent sound" than any other concern.

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this is in wrong forum but what amp is good for HD600s that will be fast enough? I have BADA PH-12... would that be fast enough?

Lots of amps out there drive the HD600's quite well. Your BADA should be just fine. Remember that it's "cans first, source second, amp third" when it comes to the sound of a system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back