Headphones suck! :p
Feb 13, 2012 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ZeNmAc

100+ Head-Fier
Just installed my first real sub in my car a few weeks ago.  Now all my headphones/iems/earbuds feel like they're missing at least an octave of sub-bass
frown.gif
.  It's 11:30pm and I'm craving that visceral punch of good bass. :/

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
How much is the stereo system for your car in total? 

I haven't checked.  Somewhere around $1k.  That was my planned budget of course i probably went over it
tongue.gif

Sub is an acoustic elegance ib15a
very_evil_smiley.gif
.  I didn't neglect the fronts though.  7" usher midbasses in the doors and seas tweeters in the sail panels.  It's still in progress but I miss the low bass anyway
frown.gif

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 9
Headphones and speakers both deliever something different to their situations which are very satisfying in their own way. With technology being what it is now headphones are not only masters of detail but they're starting to deliever more and more balanced enjoyable bass to those willing to search for something besides bass monsters and treble focused gear.

Right now am enjoying my V-moda Crossfade LP which is for me the closest thing to being in my room listening to great stereo speaker sound. Round out things with some KRK KNS 8400 headphones and i dont think i'll buy another headphone ever again. Of course the hunger for some speakers comes up on a regular basis too and thats when i enjoy the nearfield joys of my JBL Control One and Insignia Bass Reflex bookshelf speakers.

Still for a while there i could relate to the headphones suck statement due to buying one brand after another and seeing them break on me before the month was over. Thank goodness i found Head-fi.org which showed me the light to quality durable great sounding merchandise :)

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 9
Just to clarify, this thread wasn't meant too seriously.  I was just craving the good sub-bass my hp's lack.  I don't mean to start a heated debate, just meant it lightheartedly
biggrin.gif

...now I'll reply
biggrin.gif

Don't get me wrong, I'm no basshead.  My sub is a 15" SQ sub that happens to be able to put out a decent amount of power if I had it installed and amped properly (which I don't yet).  I'm all about getting clean accurate deep bass over boom.  Installed properly, the sub disappears and I get nice deep tight bass that sounds like it's coming from my fronts
cool.gif
.  I haven't had a chance to hear it this way for long (I have to pop the trunk to get it to sound like this, which isn't exactly possibly cruising down the freeway lol...as much as I'd like to do it.
eek.gif
), but it sounded like it's coming from inside the middle of my dashboard.  The sub is behind the back seat.

Most ppl consider my ATH-M50's to emphasize bass, but there are low notes I'm hearing now I never knew were there, or at least that are difficult to hear on anything else I own.

Besides I think we all agree headphone bass has it's limit.  i.e. you cant feel it in your chest.  Sorry to say it's just physics.  Not to mention it seems all the headphones with the best mids and highs roll off even higher up than my m50's do.

And yea, car audio has a boatload of problems.  It'll take me a long time to finish working the problems out I'm sure.  I can't even imagine how good all this stuff would sound in a decent sized, sound treated room (instead of a car).  Ah well, I never use speakers at home anyway
frown.gif
My system might have messed up freqency response and terrible resonance and cancellation problems, but distortion wise, the mids and highs are sooo clean and beautiful.  The bass will be too once I get time to work on it more
biggrin.gif

I'm lucky enough to have bought my m50's as my first real headphones and im still using them after 2-3 years.  Now iem's I've had many problems with.

...I know I took myself too seriously.  Hey I'm tired and I'm too lazy to re-write this post
redface.gif
.  All that rambling basically means, I'm tired, and I love music
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #8 of 9
headphones are meant to be listening tools. they're not suppose to sound like speakers. you just have to admit to yourself that you are a basshead and only appreciate your trunk farting,nothing else. nothing will be a fart cannon like your trunk is. your trunk is being the best it can be.

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Just to clarify, this thread wasn't meant too seriously.  I was just craving the good sub-bass my hp's lack.  I don't mean to start a heated debate, just meant it lightheartedly
biggrin.gif

...now I'll reply
biggrin.gif

Don't get me wrong, I'm no basshead.  My sub is a 15" SQ sub that happens to be able to put out a decent amount of power if I had it installed and amped properly (which I don't yet).  I'm all about getting clean accurate deep bass over boom.  Installed properly, the sub disappears and I get nice deep tight bass that sounds like it's coming from my fronts
cool.gif
.  I haven't had a chance to hear it this way for long (I have to pop the trunk to get it to sound like this, which isn't exactly possibly cruising down the freeway lol...as much as I'd like to do it.
eek.gif
), but it sounded like it's coming from inside the middle of my dashboard.  The sub is behind the back seat.

Most ppl consider my ATH-M50's to emphasize bass, but there are low notes I'm hearing now I never knew were there, or at least that are difficult to hear on anything else I own.

Besides I think we all agree headphone bass has it's limit.  i.e. you cant feel it in your chest.  Sorry to say it's just physics.  Not to mention it seems all the headphones with the best mids and highs roll off even higher up than my m50's do.

And yea, car audio has a boatload of problems.  It'll take me a long time to finish working the problems out I'm sure.  I can't even imagine how good all this stuff would sound in a decent sized, sound treated room (instead of a car).  Ah well, I never use speakers at home anyway
frown.gif
My system might have messed up freqency response and terrible resonance and cancellation problems, but distortion wise, the mids and highs are sooo clean and beautiful.  The bass will be too once I get time to work on it more
biggrin.gif

I'm lucky enough to have bought my m50's as my first real headphones and im still using them after 2-3 years.  Now iem's I've had many problems with.

...I know I took myself too seriously.  Hey I'm tired and I'm too lazy to re-write this post
redface.gif
.  All that rambling basically means, I'm tired, and I love music
biggrin.gif

Yea balanced bass is a buetiful thing indeed. I just picked up some V-moda Crossfade LP headphones last month and i couldnt believe how much they sounded like floor standing speakers with a very full quality and impressive soundstage while still being closed headphones. At one point i turned up the bass and volume after breaking them in for a few days i was truly astounded as i felt the most powerful subwoofer like sensation on my head. The V-moda Crossfade LPs actually sent subwoofer level vibrations to my entire head and i thought they were going to fall off. All the while they still sounded great. Am no bass head but after hearing these it definitly gave me some appreciation for a certain level of bass to contrast my treble base collection of headphones such as the KRK-KNS8400 and Audio Technica Ath AD700 etc.

I havent played the bass at that high level since because am no bass head and am enjoying the very warm balanced sound of the V-moda Crossfade LP which still sound insane with their speaker level soundstage without any lack of bass.

I can understand your not listening to speakers at home. I have thin walls and a elderly neighbor who suffers from dementia. So i've had to learn to adjust after a life time of never having complaints. Fortunately for me i found head-fi.org which guided me to the sweet bliss of nearfield bookshelf listening. Now i can keep on enjoying speakers with crystal clear clarity at very low volumes without annoying the neighbors or at least not feel guilty about it :D

Yea am not a fan of iem's either. They're always slipping out or start to give me an ear infection after a few days use. Luckily i found out the ones that come with a foam tip are very comfortable and can give me near ear plug isolation when am traveling outside. For home its the headphones and bookshelf speakers.

As for your car sounding bad with loads of resonance if its what you enjoy then enjoy it. To me its just another sound to indulge in just like i still get a HP Lovecraft kind of thrill listening to those old portable AM Radios from the 1970s with leathery cow hide type of slip cover over it and extendable antenna :D I still remember the first time i heard "The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia" on one of them as a little child.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back