Headphones suck for movies
Feb 24, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke309 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Geez, movies like saving private ryan on that system must be mindblowing.

Hehe, yeah. You can stand at the back of my back yard and you can hear the house shaking
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
. It's most fun with games though. Halo 3 and CoD4 sound crazy!!!

Feb 24, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #17 of 31
I don't think "suck" is the right word for it. A home theater is nice, but I usually watch movies on the laptop. I might pick up a TV in the next year or two, but I don't know if it's worth sinking money into something I won't use much. I gave up on TV in 1999, don't game and generally prefer audio to video.

Also, the type of movie is important. Most of what I watch is dialog-heavy and something like a K-501 makes that wonderful.

Feb 24, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #18 of 31
/me think headphones are great for watching movies.

Feb 24, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #20 of 31
I like headphones for movies as well. Not necessarily better/worse than speakers just a different flavor for me. Then again I'm not a big fan of subs and only have a small passive sub in the theater to compensate for limited range satellites. I don't need the windows to rattle when there's an explosion on the screen to really get immersed in the film.

Ant

Feb 25, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #22 of 31
I use my HD650 for movies as well and I will be adding a Corda Headsix soon. It's not the best setup but it's better than the audio from my laptop's speakers.
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #23 of 31
650 is excellent for movies, games, listening to lectures, and overall great windows sound experience.

Feb 25, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #24 of 31
If you use the right player it helps because certain software like VLC can select 5.1 vs standard 2.0/2.1 and downmix the signal into stereo. It sort of gives movies a bigger soundstage and more accurately places sound effects from a positional point of view.

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I watched "Children of Men" on HD-DVD the other night with a 5.1 DD Plus high end system and tonight (babies sleeping) I had to watch it with my modded 580s and it lost everything except for the fact that you could hear every word of dialog. Bottom line: headphones suck for movies.

this is a very ignorant opinion.

you tried one set of phones, with one movie, and didn't like it... now ALL headphones suck for movies.
confused.gif

WOW
eek.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OTOH try playing FPS games with any headphones (and guess which direction the charging enemy is coming from). The experience sucks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

youre kidding right????

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #27 of 31
I LOVE watching movies with my HD555 headphones!
Zoom Player-> Nvidia Audio Decoder(Dolby Headphone)-> FFDSHOW Audio Decoder.
I use FFDSHOW to lower the high freq. by 6db and keep 20hz at 0db. Gives it a nice little boost to the low end.
Dolby Headphone is amazing, it really does simulate 5.1 channels very well...

Mar 7, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #28 of 31
I figured I'd post here rather than start a new thread... I just moved into a condo, from an apartment that was over a garage with no neighbors, so now watching movies at night with the volume turned up to where I like it is out of the question
frown.gif
Just looking for a good set of headphones I can plug into my Denon 888 for movies later at night. I see a few people here like Sennheiser so maybe I'll start there.

I have a pair of Shure E500's for my iPod, I suppose I could start with them actually, but I think I'd rather have some over ear headphones that don't necessarily block out all other noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back