Headphones sound "leaning"
Sep 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Merkus

New Head-Fier
So I just got a new pair of headphones (Shure SE535) they sound amazing. The only problem is that they sound kinda left-shifted, specifically the bass. I am getting bass on both sides but I can feel the left side of my head shake more than the right.What would be the best way to test this?

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 14
Sep 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 14
But how would I fix an improper seal on one ear? It just seems like it unlikely that my ear canals are different sizes. I pushed the headphones in all the way. Could one of the drivers be dead? 

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 14
Could be...

Put your player in mono, adjust the volume, and listen to each ear piece.

Good Luck, Jim
Quote:
But how would I fix an improper seal on one ear? It just seems like it unlikely that my ear canals are different sizes. I pushed the headphones in all the way. Could one of the drivers be dead? 

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 14
could also be a slightly clogged filter or tip. maybe you need to clean the earwax out of that side, it can clog tips and/or filters if you dont keep your ears clean enough. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 14
You can also try Left and Right channel sound independently in Audacity.

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 14
I tried it left and right in Audacity, witha 5hz-100hz track and the left is much more prominent. I am not sure how to interpret this. I have both buds pushed as far as I can into my ear canal, they are new and have now was on them. I don't see why the sleeves would work with one ear canal and not the other.

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
I tried it left and right in Audacity, witha 5hz-100hz track and the left is much more prominent. I am not sure how to interpret this. I have both buds pushed as far as I can into my ear canal, they are new and have now was on them. I don't see why the sleeves would work with one ear canal and not the other.

do you get the feel of the ear canal actually sealing? you may shove it as far as you want, but that doesn't mean it will seal well enough. try different insertion depths and different sized sleeves. also, as others already said - make sure your ears and the filters are clean. 

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 14
do you get the feel of the ear canal actually sealing? you may shove it as far as you want, but that doesn't mean it will seal well enough. try different insertion depths and different sized sleeves. also, as others already said - make sure your ears and the filters are clean. 

How would I feel it seal, they are clean, I used a Q-tip on my ears and the cleaning tool on my earphones. I will try different sleeves, but the large sleeves seem way too big, I am using the mediums.?

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 14
1. First try setting the audio file to mono in Audacity by going to this menu:
Tracks -> Stereo Track to Mono

2. Now check the L and R channel by sliding the slider to either extremes while the music is playing.

The difference can be due to varied seal in both ears. Otherwise check with another pair of earphones you have for reference.

Sep 18, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
How would I feel it seal, they are clean, I used a Q-tip on my ears and the cleaning tool on my earphones. I will try different sleeves, but the large sleeves seem way too big, I am using the mediums.?

it's hard to explain - when they are sealed, it's like a vacuum when you try to remove them from the ears, or at least, you don't hear outside noises as much as you would do with the phones in...

also, try using mono sound - that way you'll be absolutely sure what is the reason behind the uneven sounding...

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #14 of 14
In both ears I hear far less sound than I otherwise would if the headphones were out. I tried the mono settings in Audacity and the bass sounds lower in my right ear. In my left ear I can sort of feel my head shake, but I can't in my right ear, even if I heard differently in my ears The booming should still move me. I can't get the tips off for some reason, I don't want to pull to hard, or something might snap. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back