Headphones similar to Sennheiser HD 205 II
Jul 29, 2022 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DrNefarious97

New Head-Fier
Can anyone recommend headphones that have a cable as long if not longer? I want them connected from my computer speakers' headphone jack.

I know contemporarily purely wired headphones are outmoded and probably obsolete to most. But given that my speakers do not have software that facilitates Bluetooth connection via it and my headphones, if I were to buy wireless headphones, I'm relying on my computer and headphones to be loud enough on their own unless I'm ignorant of a solution to that that incorporates my speakers.

The 'workaround' that I'd settled for was to connect the aforementioned Sennheiser headphones to my computer speakers but now I cannot find those or comparable headphones online or in person. Help is appreciated.

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #2 of 8
The consensus here is that wired is better. actually. Your attached cable is 9 feet long? If so, most headphones above the low end have detachable cables (with exceptions) and you can get varying lengths in included or aftermarket cables.

Where are you in relation to your computer that you need this cable length? And how do you control music if you're far? What's your budget, music choice, and use case?

Jul 30, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 8
Audio-Technica ATH-R70X has a nine-foot cable, is featherweight comfortable, sounds analytically clear and is just great all around.

Don't take my word for it; most reviews are extremely positive. (Most of them also think the long cable is an annoyance.)

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17535412/audio-technica-r70x-review-professional-headphones

They are open-back, unlike the HD205, so of course they do leak sound and have little isolation, if either of those are a consideration. They also improve with an amp because they are high-impedance, but running them straight out of a MacBook is fine.

The ATX-R70X are pretty much price fixed at $350 in the US. See if the price from Thomann.de is lower in the UK, as it is in the US.

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 8
The consensus here is that wired is better. actually. Your attached cable is 9 feet long? If so, most headphones above the low end have detachable cables (with exceptions) and you can get varying lengths in included or aftermarket cables.

Where are you in relation to your computer that you need this cable length? And how do you control music if you're far? What's your budget, music choice, and use case?
Yeah according to Sennheiser it's 9.8 metres. I was worried about headphones with the detachable ones in case the provided cable would be too short and longer ones being incompatible. But I think if I avoid obscure brands I should be able to find some.

I would use it for weightlifting and general exercise. It's not a far distance but I don't want to risk yanking the cable out with the speakers coming with it with a shorter one.

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 8
Audio-Technica ATH-R70X has a nine-foot cable, is featherweight comfortable, sounds analytically clear and is just great all around.

Don't take my word for it; most reviews are extremely positive. (Most of them also think the long cable is an annoyance.)

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17535412/audio-technica-r70x-review-professional-headphones

They are open-back, unlike the HD205, so of course they do leak sound and have little isolation, if either of those are a consideration. They also improve with an amp because they are high-impedance, but running them straight out of a MacBook is fine.

The ATX-R70X are pretty much price fixed at $350 in the US. See if the price from Thomann.de is lower in the UK, as it is in the US.

Thank you for this recommendation.

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #6 of 8
Yeah according to Sennheiser it's 9.8 metres. I was worried about headphones with the detachable ones in case the provided cable would be too short and longer ones being incompatible. But I think if I avoid obscure brands I should be able to find some.

I would use it for weightlifting and general exercise. It's not a far distance but I don't want to risk yanking the cable out with the speakers coming with it with a shorter one.
For this use case, I really would recommend Bluetooth iems. But if you get headphones with a single cable entry, that could work too. Some have locking mechanisms for the connectors, so you might want to avoid those...

Jul 31, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 8
@msing539 is right; You can get a very inexpensive Bluetooth transmitter -- connected to your computer or speaker headphone jack -- and Bluetooth IEMs that give you a lot more freedom of movement.
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-bluetooth-transmitters/

Jabra generally gets good reviews and designs its Bluetooths to fit for exercise use, and if you're working out you are busy huffing and puffing; you are not in a quiet space listening to the most pristine reproduction. So you can get previous (and well-reviewed) models of worthwhile BT buds for under $100.
https://www.jabra.com/bluetooth-headsets/jabra-elite-65t##100-99000000-02
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/jabra-elite-active-65t-review/

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 8
Can anyone recommend headphones that have a cable as long if not longer? I want them connected from my computer speakers' headphone jack.

I know contemporarily purely wired headphones are outmoded and probably obsolete to most. But given that my speakers do not have software that facilitates Bluetooth connection via it and my headphones, if I were to buy wireless headphones, I'm relying on my computer and headphones to be loud enough on their own unless I'm ignorant of a solution to that that incorporates my speakers.

The 'workaround' that I'd settled for was to connect the aforementioned Sennheiser headphones to my computer speakers but now I cannot find those or comparable headphones online or in person. Help is appreciated.

Many Sennheisers have long cables. But for physical activity, a wire is dangerous and a bad idea, as the guys said. Bluetooth and other wireless audio will never be as good as headphones with a cable. But, bluetooth won't put you in the hospital or have you shopping for new teeth after a trip over a cable or send you to the gallows pole. Don't do it buddy, life is worth more than that :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back