Headphones recommendation
Sep 3, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #16 of 29
I tried to get the massdrop hd58x and hd6xx , they wont ship to me in Japan
But akg and some others were able to ship
I thought there was a way Massdrop can send the headphones to a company that can then reship the product to outside the USA?

Sep 4, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #17 of 29
I dunno about HD600's... but I love my Hifiman HE400i's. Just make sure you get a warranty if you pick 'em, as they are fragile. You can EQ down the 9khz region and bring up the 1-3khz region (by about 3-5dB each), and they'll sound more neutral and intimate, with all the joys of planar. I've never heard th HD6x0's, but have heard HD558's, and prefer the 400i by a landslide.

Actually, I prefer the 400i to a lot of things by a landslide.

I suggest you try TrueFi by Sonarworks if you get a compatible can. It's a bit pricey, but man, is it ever worth it for indie and other vocal music. There's not really another way to get vocals to sound this convincing. For tracks that get a bit crowded (e.g. metal), EQing the 3-20khz region ^ 2-3dB helps bring some resolution.
The HE-400i is similar to 4xx? I read few reviews on massdrop's edition and everyone are praising them, but it also says that planars leak a bit more...
I'm still thinking between 58x and 598cs but I'll probably go for 58x since the owners say the leak is not a big problem and they don't need an amp right away... Plus they are cheaper than 598cs :)
And I'll check out TrueFi. Thanks!

I tried to get the massdrop hd58x and hd6xx , they wont ship to me in Japan
But akg and some others were able to ship
As mentioned in the post above, you could probably use some company as mediator. Massdrop ships the package to the US address and then that company sends it to you.. Something like this https://www.shippn.com/shop-from/un...MIpc-Ez_Sg3QIVQsYYCh1jzwB6EAAYASAAEgKl-_D_BwE
This is the first one that came on search, there are more companies like that... I've never used one though, but I assume it would work... You should just check carefully their pricing, they might charge a lot...

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #18 of 29
The HE-400i is similar to 4xx? I read few reviews on massdrop's edition and everyone are praising them, but it also says that planars leak a bit more...
I'm still thinking between 58x and 598cs but I'll probably go for 58x since the owners say the leak is not a big problem and they don't need an amp right away... Plus they are cheaper than 598cs :)
And I'll check out TrueFi. Thanks!

As mentioned in the post above, you could probably use some company as mediator. Massdrop ships the package to the US address and then that company sends it to you.. Something like this https://www.shippn.com/shop-from/un...MIpc-Ez_Sg3QIVQsYYCh1jzwB6EAAYASAAEgKl-_D_BwE
This is the first one that came on search, there are more companies like that... I've never used one though, but I assume it would work... You should just check carefully their pricing, they might charge a lot...

In terms of leak, Hifiman tends to make their planars VERY open, so yeah, they'll leak a ton, but sound great (IMO) while doing it.

About TrueFi, definitely try the free trial first. I've actually gone back on my endorsement, at leas for those of us who like detailed treble. It really cuts the detail there, and sorta flattens the sound. Neutral, sure, but neutral isn't even analytical lol. It's probably good if you like a laid-back, flat sound with realistic mid-mids and present bass.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #19 of 29
Why not look for a pair of used hd595 at 50ohms very easy to drive , easier than the 150 of the 58x
I have the 558 and 595 and prefer the 595
I tried out hd600 and hd800 but it was with a Senn amp

The 595 are very similar to its bigger brothers , maybe 90%
I use both my hd595 and Akg k712

I am waiting to get a better headphone amp and then will upgrade to either the 600 or 650 but I will keep the k712

Sep 5, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #20 of 29
In terms of leak, Hifiman tends to make their planars VERY open, so yeah, they'll leak a ton, but sound great (IMO) while doing it.
Ah then Hifiman is a no for me. They do look nice though. :)

Why not look for a pair of used hd595 at 50ohms very easy to drive , easier than the 150 of the 58x
I have the 558 and 595 and prefer the 595
I tried out hd600 and hd800 but it was with a Senn amp

The 595 are very similar to its bigger brothers , maybe 90%
I use both my hd595 and Akg k712

I am waiting to get a better headphone amp and then will upgrade to either the 600 or 650 but I will keep the k712
I don't want to buy used headphones and I don't plan on doing the upgrade any time soon because purchase is complicated for me... Here where I live there are not a lot of models to choose from... I just want to get one quality hp that will serve me well for a few years... And I'll probably get dac/amp later to pair them with.
According to the owners of HD 58x, they don't leak a lot on normal listening volume, they don't really need an amp and they are good all-rounders especially for folk, classic etc...

Sep 5, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #21 of 29
What about IEMs? It might be a good compromise if you are worried about bothering somebody else, and they will be more comfortable for long periods than a lot of normal headphones.

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #26 of 29
I want to thank all of you for your suggestions! I looked at all headphones that you mentioned, some of them were a little bit over my budget, some weren't, but in the end I decided to go for HD 58x after all. I had to take into the consideration the price, the shipping, etc. I liked them the best, the price was acceptable and I managed to squeeze in brainwavz hooka as well. :) I hope I'll be satisfied with this cans. :)

Sep 9, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #27 of 29
Gz and enjoy!

Sep 9, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #28 of 29
I want to thank all of you for your suggestions! I looked at all headphones that you mentioned, some of them were a little bit over my budget, some weren't, but in the end I decided to go for HD 58x after all. I had to take into the consideration the price, the shipping, etc. I liked them the best, the price was acceptable and I managed to squeeze in brainwavz hooka as well. :) I hope I'll be satisfied with this cans. :)
I hope you will be also.

May 31, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #29 of 29
Hi Guys,

I'm new here. I had the same question, I'm looking for recommendation. I had Akg 271 MKII for several years. So I'm use to this kind of sound. I'm a big listener of classical music, soundtracks, EDM, and Trance. I sold my akg for 150 canadian dollar. I'm looking for replacing this AKG with something around this price. I want a wireless headphone with a noise cancelling option. If the headphone have multi device connection it will be a plus.

I saw Taotronic, Edifier, Bludio, soundcore and a lot of others. I'm looking for recommendatons please.

Thank you

Justin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back