Headphones Recommendation for College Student
Apr 17, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #16 of 38
You could always join the Martin Logan Mikros 90 Hype Train
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #17 of 38
I'm not sure burn in matters so much, though your ears may adjust to more treble presence over time. Not sure about iTunes defaults, but if you have the option of flac alac or other lossless or higher quality mp3/aac/ogg etc you'll hear some difference as you up the bit rates. It's also possible the m50s might be showing the compression from your eq... They are definitely more revealing in that way than most mainstream headphones.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #19 of 38
I am a happy owner of the V-MODA M80 headphones. I've read reviews that said they are better sounding than the ATH M50s, but I don't know from personal use. They're actually cheaper than what a previous poster said. They are 129.99 before S&H on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-On-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B005HSDLCO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0EKBB9RRJJ1RHGDR5C62

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #20 of 38
I am a happy owner of the V-MODA M80 headphones. I've read reviews that said they are better sounding than the ATH M50s, but I don't know from personal use. They're actually cheaper than what a previous poster said. They are 129.99 before S&H on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-On-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B005HSDLCO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0EKBB9RRJJ1RHGDR5C62

Do you ever feel like the treble is too much on those? I hear the bass is good. I might order both then compare them

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #21 of 38
M50s seem like a great recommendation especially for portability.

If you're interested into open headphones though, that's different.

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #22 of 38
I suggest trying out the Sennheiser Momentums if you can find a good deal. Sounds great with rap and hip hop too.

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #23 of 38
1.Creative Aurvana live
2.m50
3.Superlux 681 evo                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #24 of 38
1.Creative Aurvana live
2.m50
3.Superlux 681 evo                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Aurvana Live seems like a good bet.

If you want neutral closed headphones that can still do nice bass without overpowering everything else, check our the Shure SRH440. You can also try to find a nearby SamAsh, I literally pulled off 10 pairs or so at a local store and tried them all through my phone, and settled on the 440s after that. Yes I tried the M50s there too and their recessed mids, boost bass, and overly emphasized highs are way off for my taste. The 440 is way more precise. Give it a shot especially if you can either easily return it or you can try a pair at a local music store. Good luck.

PS I'm an engineering grad student so I know what kind of price range you're looking for :)

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #25 of 38
I would say for college or any environment where you are moving around a lot, build quality is a top priority.  I have used the M50s for two years in college, and they have stood up to the beating.  They have been dropped, flung around in my backpack, and even sat on, without the smallest signs of damage.  On top of the fact that they are superbly built, the sound quality is more than enough for iTunes music.  Lastly, these headphones can be driven easily by any portable music player.  If headphones is what you want (as opposed to IEMs), I would go for the M50s.  

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #29 of 38
The treble definitely isn't too much on the M80's, I've only auditioned the M80's for a week. Although my ears have grown a better liking to the M100's.

I'd have to say the v-modas are a bit genre specific, and do those genres very well (EDM/rap/jazz/folk/pop/rock/metal). Although some other genres requiring more mids, treble and soundstage, the m50's do better by a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back