Headphones Recommendation for College Student
Apr 14, 2014 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

malibuboats91

Head-Fier
Hey everyone - I am a senior in college and thus far I've been using either my iPhone headphones or my Skullcandy Skullcrushers. Recently I've been noticing that my Skullcrushers are getting really worn out so it's time to upgrade. Everyone has the Beats at my college, but from what I've read they aren't very good. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for someone who listens to mostly Hip-Hop and Rap?  I was looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50 which are rated really well and are on amazon for $119 now. Would any other headphones be a better alternative? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the noob question. 

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 38
M50s are a decent choice.  What's your budget?  If you want something a little more balanced and expensive, I'd recommend the SoundMAGIC HP100s (with Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro earpads, for more comfort).

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 38
If you could spend the extra cash, I would definitely go for the new Vmoda XS for 199 on amazon, or if you don't need the folding, the m80 for just 150$ (on their website). These things have really nailed it itn terms of style, durability, sound, and portability. Really, these would last you a long time. They also come with tons of accessories , like a really nice case and multiple cables with remote and mic. Look up some reviews on amazon, these are perfect for bass heavy music. M50s may be too flat and bulky for what you're looking for.

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 38
If you have small ears, then the over-ear Momentums are a good investment since they are pretty portable, light, and durable. I did have the Soundmagics, but I did not enjoy lugging them around campus just because they are a little bulky.

Apr 16, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 38
So is the general consensus that ATH-M50 vs M80 you'd go with the M80? Portability is not a big deal for me as I only wear headphones to school once and awhile. I'm more concerned about what will sound better. It's so hard to decide without being able to listen to them in person. At least if I order them on amazon I can return them. Thanks!

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:
  So is the general consensus that ATH-M50 vs M80 you'd go with the M80? Portability is not a big deal for me as I only wear headphones to school once and awhile. I'm more concerned about what will sound better. It's so hard to decide without being able to listen to them in person. At least if I order them on amazon I can return them. Thanks!

The fit will have to be according to the sound. The M80's are on ear headphones that have extended and punchy bass, somewhat recessed mids and smooth highs. They are very comfortable for on the go use.

The ATH-M50's are more all-rounders with well extended bass, good mids and good highs. They are comfortable sit-around headphones.

If you plan to sit around a lot, I would recommend the M50's. The M80's were meant to go loud and proud, plus they have vents on the earcups so they might leak a bit in the library.

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

The fit will have to be according to the sound. The M80's are on ear headphones that have extended and punchy bass, somewhat recessed mids and smooth highs. They are very comfortable for on the go use.

The ATH-M50's are more all-rounders with well extended bass, good mids and good highs. They are comfortable sit-around headphones.

If you plan to sit around a lot, I would recommend the M50's. The M80's were meant to go loud and proud, plus they have vents on the earcups so they might leak a bit in the library.

Thanks for the reply! I think I'm going to go with the M50 coiled version. I can always return them if I don't like them. I feel like either option will be way better than my skullcrushers.

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 38
So I just stopped at a music store in my city and they have the ATH-M50! They are really nice but seem too treble focused for me. The bass awesome but the treble is almost overbearing for my personal taste. The m80 is not available for me to listen to as well as your other suggestions. Hmm now I'm back to not knowing what to do.

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 38
One thing about the m50s is that they really benefit from decent quality source files... Both in bit rate and gain. Using Mp3 gain and 190k and up help them sound great. Any lower and they start to bring out the imperfections and such, since they were designed for studio use.
Ive had mine for a few years, and use them for everything, incl hip hop, punk, jazz... Their sound is awesome with all of them if you take the time to get the source files in order. No need to upgrade to an amp or whatever nonsense either.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #15 of 38
  M50s are a decent choice.  What's your budget?  If you want something a little more balanced and expensive, I'd recommend the SoundMAGIC HP100s (with Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro earpads, for more comfort).

What about the Philips Uptown and how do they compare to the Soundmagic? Uptowns's are good value and cheap, have great bass along with clear warm mids and sparkly treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back