Headphones recommendation for <$200 (more details inside)
Dec 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

WhipeeDip

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a closed, circumaural set of headphones for <$200. I would use these on the go and at home, so some portability would be nice.
I prefer something with the sound signature of the TripleFi 10 with a litte less treble. I also find the UE 900 fine as the way they are. (hopefully that gives somewhat of a good idea of what I like?). I listen to all kinds of music, but I dislike dubstep and music like that.
It really doesn't matter if it needs an amp or not (I'd probably buy a FiiO E6 or E11), but no need is still preferred. Collapsible is a must and removable cables would be nice, in case I need to replace them. Comfort is also pretty important. 
I've looked at the SRH840 and the ATH-M50s so far and can't make up my mind. I'm also open to other recommendations.

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 5
M50 has very good deep bass and metallic highs. electronic music sounds heavenly on them though the soundstage is narrow while the 840 has more accuracy and detail. they are very clean sounding headphones leaning more towards the bright side and they have a very good soundstage.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 5
  M50 has very good deep bass and metallic highs. electronic music sounds heavenly on them though the soundstage is narrow while the 840 has more accuracy and detail. they are very clean sounding headphones leaning more towards the bright side and they have a very good soundstage.

Hm, 840 seems to be more for me then. How's the comfort? I've heard it can be quite heavy and uncomfortable.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 5
yes, sadly, they are not comfortable enough. i would rate them 5/10 in comfort. they are kinda loose and heavy. they are mainly designed for studio monitoring.

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 5
xoriac is right about the differences between SRH840 and M50.

I returned the M50 that I had bought. The thin "metallic treble" doesn't work for some of my music, and the earcups are shallow so my ears were touching the felt in front of the drivers, which I find distracting.

SRH840 is my choice between the two for a closed model. Its weight is in the headband, which can be modded into something much more comfortable:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/484116/my-shure-840-mod-warning-lots-of-pictures
http://www.head-fi.org/t/485381/shure-840-frankstein-headband-mod-mission-complete 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back