Headphones or Speakers?
Jul 28, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #31 of 39
I have a decent set of B&W speaker which I don't use too often because my wife and kids won't let me use listen to them at loud levels. My headphones are just ideal for that, and my IEM's sing me lullabies at night. Take that big speakers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #32 of 39
I'm a seasoned audiophile but new to head systems. I'm in this more out of circumstances then preference for head systems. While I can easily evaluate soundstaging on a spk rig, doing the same on a headphone rig is a lot more complicated, or at least something I'm still coming to terms with.

Jul 28, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #33 of 39
Jumping into this thread, I sometimes prefer just sitting near my Stax headphones and listening to the sound that leaks out from it. Sometimes it's just so troubling to have to be careful about the cord, and feel the headphones around your head.

But hey, headphones can be used as headphones and limited speakers. Speakers can only be used as speakers.
wink.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #34 of 39
I got some AudioEngine AE2 speakers for my computer a few months ago and while they aren't in the same league as a dedicated speaker setup or my K701s, they are so good that I find myself listening to them more often than headphones for the simple reason of how easy it is to lay back or move around the room, use Front Row to select some tunes and relax or keep working.

Now, I pretty much only use the headphones when I'm really in the mood to do a detailed listen or when I'm on the go with the iPod or iPhones.

--Chris

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like both they each have advantages.

A smart man on this forum said something to the effect of.
With good headphones "you are there", with good speakers "they are here".

Not even close. The closest I've ever heard of a recorded drum set in the room was at Mark Levinson's Cello place in New York with his own recording.

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #36 of 39
I think I get better bang for my audiophile buck with headphones, and there is a simple reason for this. I don't think it has to do with sources, construction quality or anything like that, but rather the fundamental nature of speakers vs. headphones.

Speakers are much more dependent on the acoustical nature of the space they are placed in, whereas headphones are not. Also, headphones generally do not fall victim to poorly designed crossovers and multi-driver imaging problems like speakers do (See "Orb Audio," or "Totem Acoustic's" philosophy on the single driver speaker!).

Trust me, if I could afford speakers that were nice enough to trump the comparatively cheap cans I own, I'd buy em... but for now it's headphones!

Here's a novel idea: using speakers AND open backed headphones together: great sound quality and the kidney-punch bodily effects of speakers to boot!

Jul 29, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #37 of 39
Not really novel. Folks have used that but also subs forever. Especially with the K1000.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not even close. The closest I've ever heard of a recorded drum set in the room was at Mark Levinson's Cello place in New York with his own recording.

I also had the pleasure of hearing Mark Levinson's big Cello Music & Film audio system in 1995. It was by far the most realistic audio reproduction system that I had heard since I became an audio addict in the early 1970's. I was so impressed with the Cello system, I bought one!

I have also owned an HE90 / ES-1. As good as that system is, it cannot begin to compete with a well designed audio system in a room with proper acoustic treatment. But then for 10 times the cost of an HE90 / ES-1 it had better sound far superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back