Headphones or not?
Aug 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Horo

New Head-Fier
I am confused right now and would appreciate some help by you guys.
This week I got my new 5.1 System for ~200€ but noticed, that I should send it back and get something else since I almost only listen to music. I don't really care about perfect sound for movies, games etc. but for music.
Till now I've been searching for stereo speakers to get but also think about buying headphones now. Unfortunately, I have no idea how good they perform compared to stereo speakers. My limit to pay is around ~200€ (the money I get in return for sending back my speakers) and I mostly listen to "chillstep", dnb, hip hop and some other "more calm" electro genres. Since I don't need music for a whole room but only for me, is it a good idea to buy headphones instead of stereo speakers (200€ limit for them too.).
If yes, which would you recommend? They should have clear sound and not lack in bass (I don't really need that much bass, but some is necessary for the genre). For speakers it seems to be too less money to find something great, for headphones too?

Thank you <3

Aug 25, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 22
I think that 200€ headphones would definitely sound better than 200€ speakers.  Lemme give this one a little thought.  In the meantime, I'm sure someone will jump in with a recommendation soon.

Aug 25, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 22
Horo, are these only to be used at home - or will you wind up taking them outside with you?

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #6 of 22
Aug 26, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 22
I read this article, an interview actually with Alan Parsons, who was the sound engineer for Pink Floyds, Dark Side of The Moon. Anyway the piece was titled, Beatles, Pink Floyd Engineer Alan Parsons Rips Audiophiles.. The great thing about headphones is it takes room acoustics out of the equation, let's you listen without infringing on anyone else's space, and provides you with a portability option. Hard to stuff a speaker system in your pocket and go. I'd vote headphones, but Alan definitely seems to be saying a budget system will work fine if you get the room acoustics right.

Edit: btw what's up Chris, and what's up with that avatar?

Aug 26, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
I read this article, an interview actually with Alan Parsons, who was the sound engineer for Pink Floyds, Dark Side of The Moon. Anyway the piece was titled, Beatles, Pink Floyd Engineer Alan Parsons Rips Audiophiles.. The great thing about headphones is it takes room acoustics out of the equation, let's you listen without infringing on anyone else's space, and provides you with a portability option. Hard to stuff a speaker system in your pocket and go. I'd vote headphones, but Alan definitely seems to be saying a budget system will work fine if you get the room acoustics right.

Edit: btw what's up Chris, and what's up with that avatar?

It's all about room acoustics, unfortunately. 

I.. don't know. I got excited on skype and it resulted in that picture.

Aug 26, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 22
Just keep in mind that with headphones, you're going to be limited by the cable.  There's a lot to be said for having music playing freely while you're, say, cleaning up around your place or playing music while you have company.  Or heck if you just like to get down and boogie when no one's around.
It's also just not very comfortable to lay down with headphones, and it's awkward trying to rest your head on your hand when there's a headphone band in the way.

That said, you'll get a lot more value out of the headphones.  If you're set on headphones, I'd consider something that doesn't require an amp, so at least you can plug it into a DAP and move around your place a little more freely if you don't want to be tied down to your bedroom with 6 feet of cable, for the above reasons.

Aug 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:
There's a lot to be said for having music playing freely while you're, say, cleaning up around your place or playing music while you have company.

I threw together a cheap speaker system from buying used on Craigslist for this reason. When I'm doing things like cleaning or if I can't be tethered to the computer I'll use my speakers. In cases like that I kind of put audio quality in the backseat. When I want the full experience, I listen with headphones. My recommendation would be to get a cheap speaker setup and nicer headphones.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:
99% used at home. Maybe 100%.
I don't have to carry them arround.

Okay cool, and one more question, does it absolutely positively have to be good for Hip-Hop?  Or is that point negotiable? 
smile.gif

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 22
I listen to ton of electronic music as well. Definitely headphones over speakers at that price range, no debate whatsoever. If price was no concern and neither was interference with other people as well as room acoustics, I would pick speaker every time - At the top of the line however, speakers beat headphone every time. Not even HD-800, Stax, Audeze or Hifiman can touch quality speakers. I have listened to the Funktion One rigs many time up close on stage and in the studio, and the experience is so much better. However that doesn't happen until you drop a minimum of $2000 per speaker, some more for amplifier and upto another $1000 for treatment like bass traps, pads, stand, minimizing particular resonant surface etc.  

For your music tastes at that price range, definitely go for Ultrasone. If you can find a cheap Denon AH-D2000, that is also a great option as well. Although getting one of the HFI models off Amazon.com, like HFI-780 from Ultrasone is the best for electronica for that price. If you can find a good deal on Ultrasone Pro 900, then that would be it. All of these models are great with bass.  

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 22
I listen to a lot of rap and songs with bass. I prefer speakers over headphones. Id play through my speakers all day and night but there are other people livin in my house so i gotta have headphones too. Imo get headphones, you cant go wrong with it. If you dont have any one to bother, get speakers.

Aug 27, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Okay cool, and one more question, does it absolutely positively have to be good for Hip-Hop?  Or is that point negotiable? 
smile.gif

I would say audio quality is much more important for Electro than for Hip-Hop and Rap. Especially since I mainly focus on lyrics.

Quote:
I listen to ton of electronic music as well. Definitely headphones over speakers at that price range, no debate whatsoever. If price was no concern and neither was interference with other people as well as room acoustics, I would pick speaker every time - At the top of the line however, speakers beat headphone every time. Not even HD-800, Stax, Audeze or Hifiman can touch quality speakers. I have listened to the Funktion One rigs many time up close on stage and in the studio, and the experience is so much better. However that doesn't happen until you drop a minimum of $2000 per speaker, some more for amplifier and upto another $1000 for treatment like bass traps, pads, stand, minimizing particular resonant surface etc.  

For your music tastes at that price range, definitely go for Ultrasone. If you can find a cheap Denon AH-D2000, that is also a great option as well. Although getting one of the HFI models off Amazon.com, like HFI-780 from Ultrasone is the best for electronica for that price. If you can find a good deal on Ultrasone Pro 900, then that would be it. All of these models are great with bass.  

Thank you a lot :)

@A Ham Sandwich:
I am aware of that. But since I will probably use them at PC in most cases, this should be no problem.
If I need speakers, I also got some 80-90€ Logitech speakers which are good enough to play some music in the background.

BTW:
A friend told me I should look for "AKG K240 Monitor". They are around 100€ and got a lot of good reviews too. Should I look for them and do they fit to my requirements?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back