Headphones or not?
Aug 27, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #16 of 22
Heya,

At your budget, a pair of speakers would be hard pressed, because you have to factor in cost to power them (do you have an AV receiver, home stereo amplifier, etc already?). You can get a set of speakers that would be great and cover your needs, but the cost would be a problem. There are actually great options that you could do, like Polk Audio M30's with a Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer. That's less than $200 USD, so cheaper than your budget, and they sound really great for such a low entry cost and really slam out everything you could want. For someone looking for just a nice little stereo setup, that would cover you very well. You can find alternative equivalents too, but that's just to give you an idea. Again you do have to power them though, so a basic stereo amplifier or an AV receiver would be needed.

Example, try and find perhaps equivalents in your country of: Sony SS-B3000 or Polk Audio M30's, and something like a Polk Audio PSW10 or Yamaha YST-SW216BL. Those subs are self-powered. But the speakers would need a little power from a basic stereo amplifier, or a basic AV receiver. You can get an inexpensive stereo amplifier for $40~60 that would do your needs here. I know these are USD prices, but the idea is to give you something to look for that is an equivalent perhaps in your country.

The same budget with headphones, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a single headphone that really just covers your needs and meets your tastes. A speaker setup is simply going to be better over all unless you need privacy at night or can't turn up the volume, etc. Speakers, you can tune, balance, take the bass up or down on the subwoofer, to meet your tastes. It's a lot harder to do this with a headphone with equalization as they can't all perform everything with equalization as well, each is different, some respond well to equalization, some don't.

I'd get speakers if you could, with a small subwoofer. Otherwise, I would look into getting a used Denon D2000 or AudioTechnica A900X or Ultrasone PRO 750.

Very best,

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #17 of 22
First of all...

Quote:
BTW:  A friend told me I should look for "AKG K240 Monitor". They are around 100€ and got a lot of good reviews too. Should I look for them and do they fit to my requirements?

NO...  Don't get me wrong, I like AKG's house sound.  And I like my K240 Studio personally.  But that would not be right for the genres you're into.

Quote:
If you can find a cheap Denon AH-D2000, that is also a great option as well. Although getting one of the HFI models off Amazon.com, like HFI-780 from Ultrasone is the best for electronica for that price. If you can find a good deal on Ultrasone Pro 900, then that would be it. All of these models are great with bass.  

Quote:
I would look into getting a used Denon D2000 or AudioTechnica A900X or Ultrasone PRO 750.

+1  I would say that both Zoom25 and MalVeauX have given excellent recommendations there.  Just a side note, do NOT get one of the newer Denon models.  Without going into too many details here (there's a super long awesome thread on the new Denons somewhere), if I had to give a one word review of the new Denons, it would simply be this:

"No."

Or alternatively,

"Wrong."

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:
(do you have an AV receiver, home stereo amplifier, etc already?)

Sadly not. My problem is also that I don't know which speakers need some additional stuff. And how good receiver, amplifier etc. have to be.
It's somehow pretty hard to find some useful informations about that. Or at least non contradicting.

After 2 days still not sure, since speakers seem to be an option again (Sony ones seem to be interesting but are only available for US) =S
Anyways, good night and thanks a lot for today :)

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #19 of 22
Yea the Ultrasone HFI model are cheap on Amazon for electronica. Although for both hip hop, rap as well as electronica, I would go for the D2000 instead over the Ultrasone. The voicing for rap and hip hop with D2000 is one of the best I've heard. Nice sub-bass rumble. If you find one for cheap and have money leftover, may I suggest picking up a Fiio E10. Great dac and amp for the money under $100. Plus in the future you can then use the E10's line out for speakers. Win win.

Aug 27, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:
Sadly not. My problem is also that I don't know which speakers need some additional stuff. And how good receiver, amplifier etc. have to be.
It's somehow pretty hard to find some useful informations about that. Or at least non contradicting.

After 2 days still not sure, since speakers seem to be an option again (Sony ones seem to be interesting but are only available for US) =S
Anyways, good night and thanks a lot for today :)

Heya,

Can you post a few websites where you're located that you can buy from (or store websites)? It would help since I don't know where exactly you are or what prices are where you are. Give us something to look through. Some countries have cheaper electronics (here in USA, it's very inexpensive honestly for electronics).

I can't stress enough though that a basic pair of bookshelf monitors with a small powered subwoofer will give you a lot more sound for your buck. It's not audiophile grade, but for casual listening a headphone simply won't give you the same room filling fullfillment. Headphones unfortunately are so hit or miss with getting the kind of bass that you might prefer. That's a hard thing about headphones, finding a bass that fits your bill. Speakers on the other hand are much more easy in that department. Headphones are going to get higher audiophile quality reproduction for you for your dollar, but it comes down to whether you want hi-fi or just a great sounding set of speakers for casually enjoying all music.

Very best,

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Heya,

Can you post a few websites where you're located that you can buy from (or store websites)? It would help since I don't know where exactly you are or what prices are where you are. Give us something to look through. Some countries have cheaper electronics (here in USA, it's very inexpensive honestly for electronics).

I can't stress enough though that a basic pair of bookshelf monitors with a small powered subwoofer will give you a lot more sound for your buck. It's not audiophile grade, but for casual listening a headphone simply won't give you the same room filling fullfillment. Headphones unfortunately are so hit or miss with getting the kind of bass that you might prefer. That's a hard thing about headphones, finding a bass that fits your bill. Speakers on the other hand are much more easy in that department. Headphones are going to get higher audiophile quality reproduction for you for your dollar, but it comes down to whether you want hi-fi or just a great sounding set of speakers for casually enjoying all music.

Very best,

Living in germany and actually the only "good" websites for audio equipment I know are http://www.amazon.de/ and maybe http://www.ebay.de/ .
A pair of bookshelf speakers + sub was what I was looking for in the first place, before even thinking about getting headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back