Headphones Noob. Need advice for NC for $200
Dec 28, 2012 at 12:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rebelx

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a Sony Playstation Pulse wireless headset on a whim (paid about $130 after tax) and I regret my decision now that I've realized that 7.1 only works with a PS3 (I sold my PS3) and that I really should be getting something for noise cancelling.

I have about $200 to spend and was thinking about the Bose QC15.

I was planning on buying a used pair of QC2 headphones and trading them in for the QC15s. I believe I can get the 15s for $99.99 and a used pair of the QC2 (condition does not matter, I was told) for $100ish) for a total purchase price of $200.

Are there other headphones with superior noise cancelling for $200? I ride BART daily (public transportation - trains) and would like to block the noise. I may also start to use them for gaming assuming I can sell my Pulse headset for a halfway decent price.

Would using a rechargeable AAA battery with the Bose NC reduce it's effectiveness? Or do I need to use standard alkaline batteries for optimal performance?

Thanks!

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Heya,

The QC15's have some of the best noise canceling // sound quality ratio in the noise canceling headphone arena.

Here's more options:

Logitech UE 6000
Polk Audio UltrasFocus 8000
Parrot Zik
Monster Inspiration

Very best,

Hi, thanks for your suggestions! I looked up the reviews for each and it seems as if Bose wins on the ANC front (although people have a more varied opinion about their actual music playback sound). So far Bose is leading the way. Any thing to detract me from going ahead and completing my Bose transaction?

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Hi, thanks for your suggestions! I looked up the reviews for each and it seems as if Bose wins on the ANC front (although people have a more varied opinion about their actual music playback sound). So far Bose is leading the way. Any thing to detract me from going ahead and completing my Bose transaction?

Well beyond bose, and active noise canceling, there's always passive noise canceling. Now if you are dead set on headphones, I love the SRH 840 for its passive canceling. But for potability's sake...maybe not the best option. If you really want to block out noise i recommend IEM's (canal phones) to be more precise the GR04 Pro Flagship Edition ( 50 ohms) they are fairly balanced and do well to block out sound, easily transportable too.

oh, and i saw you were in north Carolina, well there's a headphone meet in Charlotte, are you interested in coming?

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 8
The etymotic IEM's block out noice really well... The comfort is not the best though...

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 8
Well beyond bose, and active noise canceling, there's always passive noise canceling. Now if you are dead set on headphones, I love the SRH 840 for its passive canceling. But for potability's sake...maybe not the best option. If you really want to block out noise i recommend IEM's (canal phones) to be more precise the GR04 Pro Flagship Edition ( 50 ohms) they are fairly balanced and do well to block out sound, easily transportable too.

oh, and i saw you were in north Carolina, well there's a headphone meet in Charlotte, are you interested in coming?

I'll look into that, thank you!

And nope, I'm in CA. Not sure why it pegged me at the east coast.

Dec 31, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 8
I was also curious to what I would need in order to get the microphone on the cable to work with my computer. I have a mic and a 3.5 jack on the computer but how do I get it to recognize that the Bose has microphonic capabilities?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back