Headphones most like speakers
Mar 16, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 59
That has to do with your personal definition of speakers. Speakers have different colorations, just as headphones do.

Now, if you were asking what headphones have a good sound stage (as people often claim to be an advantage over headphones) that might be a better question.

My question for you is, can you be more specific as to what exacts your looking for?

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by hurryup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones that sound full. Like $500 four-way speakers, not some $10 computer speakers. HD580s/600 sound like the latter.

Not below $150.
wink.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 59
Quote:

The AKG K1000 has no competitors below $150?

The AKG K1000 is a whole lot more than $150. Why would anything compete with it at that price range?
biggrin.gif

If you think the HD600 sounds like a cheap pair of speakers, I think you'd best stay with speakers. You must like the imaging and soundstage too much. Soundstage is where headphones will falter. It's detail they excel at.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AKG K1000 is a whole lot more than $150. Why would anything compete with it at that price range?
biggrin.gif

If you think the HD600 sounds like a cheap pair of speakers, I think you'd best stay with speakers. You must like the imaging and soundstage too much. Soundstage is where headphones will falter. It's detail they excel at.

Speakers sound fuller and better SQ all around. My four-way speakers destroy the HD600s, but headphones are more accessible than speakers. I'm pretty sure the K1000 sounds very much like speakers, but they cost way too much.
angry_face.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 59
For $150, you should go DIY. There have been a handful made by members. If you can find some lightweight fullrange drivers, there's no reason you can't put together a K-1000 style headphone. But there aren't any commercial models with earspeakers that fold out like the K-1000. That's the real secret of the K-1000 and why it presents like speakers.

If you want the same voicing and tonal value as the K-1000, you can find a K-501 around $150. But the K-501 doesn't have the same soundstage or bass extension as the K-1000.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #11 of 59
I don't know about the AD700. I was about to recommend it until he said he wanted a full sound. I take that to mean thick, warm bass. Usually the Sennheiser would do a fine job of that, with a good soundstage to boot. He'll probably find the AD700 even tinnier.

I think he's just a speaker guy.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #12 of 59
Quote:

Headphones that sound full. Like $500 four-way speakers, not some $10 computer speakers. HD580s/600 sound like the latter.

You're asking for way too much. If the HD600 isn't keeping you happy though maybe soundstage isn't what you're after, maybe, what you need is big, fat bass.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #15 of 59
Quote:

Speakers sound fuller and better SQ all around. My four-way speakers destroy the HD600s, but headphones are more accessible than speakers. I'm pretty sure the K1000 sounds very much like speakers, but they cost way too much.
angry_face.gif

Do you mean full as in bass and a filling kind of sound? Lots of headphones are lite in the bass (including the K1000). I consider the HD580/HD600 to be a little lite in the bass as well (it doesn't fill the bass like speakers do or do the low stuff the way speakers do). So is it the bass? There's more to bass than just the hip hop boom boom club kind of bass sound. Good solid filling bass is nice and is what I think of as a fuller sound for a headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back