headphones makes ears ring?
Oct 2, 2007 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

kpizzel

New Head-Fier
i dont know if its just me, but whenever i put on some headphones (whether music is playing or not) my ears start playing this really high frequency. it really isnt a ring but just a constant high pitched sound. is this normal? am i cursed? im scared... i use IEMs and my ears are fine but whenever i wear a headphone that totally covers my ear, they just go crazy and mess with my music and possibly my hearing. whats wrong with me?!

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 33
Well what do you know... you have tinnitus. Reducing caffeine intake, going easy on stress, keeping a healthy immune system to fight out the nasal clogging virii and maintaining sub 80 dB volume for your music listening and you're all good to go.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 33
strange... i dont use much caffine (maybe a cup of tea every other day) im not too stressed out with work/school or anything, and i eat healthy and am quite healthy (almost health nut), so i hope its just this cloggage. may i learn more about this virii? and how else to fight it? ive had this condition for as long as i can remember... also i clean my ears often (maybe every 3 days or so and not with Q-tips!)

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also my ears keep playing the sound for a long time after i use my headphones

I used to have that problem when I had the Shure E4G. To be fair, it only happened at louder volumes, but my ears would ring for hours afterwards. It was quite disconcerting. My experience was that they got overly 'bright' when the volume was turned up, and it was the brightness that caused the ringing.

Anyway, it was such a weird feeling I ended up selling them. I'd had them for months and I really liked them, especially with acoustic (not with rock!). I tried turning the volume down, but there were always some songs that needed/demanded turning up - and my ears were suffering as a result.

I've never experienced the ringing with any other headphone, so I must have been extra sensitive to them
confused.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well what do you know... you have tinnitus. Reducing caffeine intake, going easy on stress, keeping a healthy immune system to fight out the nasal clogging virii and maintaining sub 80 dB volume for your music listening and you're all good to go.

Oh crap my entire life would need to be turned around.

I get ear ringing too.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to have that problem when I had the Shure E4G. To be fair, it only happened at louder volumes, but my ears would ring for hours afterwards. It was quite disconcerting. My experience was that they got overly 'bright' when the volume was turned up, and it was the brightness that caused the ringing.

its not a volume issue i listen to my music quietly or at a very tolerable level

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #9 of 33
You probably have tinnitus. I have it too, sometimes it's really loud, but most of the time I don't hear it. IEM's will cause you to hear it becasue it blocks out outside noises.

If it is happening only after you listen to music, or is more apparent, then you are listening too loud. The ringing means there has been damage.

Tinnitus isn't always caused by damage to hearing by loud noises though.

I also listen to my music pretty quietly I think, becasue when most people listen to my equipment, they turn it painfully loud.

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

its not a volume issue i listen to my music quietly or at a very tolerable level

Are you sure about that? 3 hours of 71 dB (considered safe) causes tinnitus for me on occasion, let alone 5 minutes of muted viola playing.

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #11 of 33
im pretty sure because i can hear everything around me with my headphones on as if they werent on. i did some acupressure massages around my neck and they helped a little. im going to set up an appointment with my local sonus hearing center tomorrow to get a checkup... thanks for bringing this issue into the light.

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #12 of 33
I had ear surgery and for the first week after I would sometimes hear a very muted high pitch for 30min straight.
Apparently, it was just my ear healing.
Anything longer than 30min more than once every two weeks or so is something that you need to see a doc about.

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had ear surgery and for the first week after I would sometimes hear a very muted high pitch for 30min straight.
Apparently, it was just my ear healing.
Anything longer than 30min more than once every two weeks or so is something that you need to see a doc about.

was that after you listened to music?

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

i use IEMs and my ears are fine but whenever i wear a headphone that totally covers my ear, they just go crazy and mess with my music and possibly my hearing.

Interesting.
Does this happen even if you don't play music through the headphones? Does that happen with all types of music? with binaural? with mono?
Maybe what you're hearing is stressing you because it contains contradictory information, information that conflicts with your other senses or something. It might also be brightness... try EQ.

In any case, don't obsess over it but by all means see a physician if the symptoms persist and you can afford it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back