Headphones in combination with a Cowon J3...... but which ones ????
Mar 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

BE COWON USER

New Head-Fier
Hej all of you experts in this,

I'm a rookey, trying to assemble a "good" portable audio set-up

base will be a Cowon J3 device, possible extended with a portable amp (if necessary)

I have some airmiles to spend and have the choice between these headphones:

1. AKG K350
  2. B&O A8
  3. BEYERDYNAMIC MMX 101 IE
  4. BOSE IE2
  5. B&W C5
  6. SENNHEISER 300II

1. AKG K451
  2. B&W P5
  3. SENNHEISER PXC 250 II

are there headphones of which somebody says, hej, in combination with the J3 I should take them immediatly,

or is the general opinion, none of them will do at all, spend your miles on something else and buy another pair of headphones :)

all suggestions are welcome, as this is my first post

thanks !!!!!
M

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 33
I already expected an answer like this :)

than I have to look for a good pair in combination with the cowon J3

I already learned 32ohm headphones aren't that suitable, I have to stick to 16Ohm headphones

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 33

Quote:

I already learned 32ohm headphones aren't that suitable, I have to stick to 16Ohm headphones

Who said 32ohm headphones aren't suitable and why? This is wrong. 

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 33
The J3 has plenty of power, esp when using the BBE/EQ settings, so unless you are talking about some headphones that are 300 ohm, you won't have a problem with nearly any IEM.

As far as the list you have available thru your air miles, you would do way better getting those points converted to cash (if you have that option), or buying something else, and spending your money on whatever headphones you want.

You haven't said what type of sound you are wanting in phones, nor a price range, but I would suggest your look at the following IEMs to get started:
Etymotic HF5 or Ultimate Ears UE600.

Mar 15, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 33
Forget all the ones you list
I'd suggest take a look at the V-Moda M-80/V-80

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #9 of 33
I'm looking for in ears to wear on the move
and some on or over ears to wear at home
I expect a warm sound, I don't play boomy music like house or things
more 80s music, U2, bit of nirvana, all that kind of stuff
somebody at the Iaudio forum adviced the bose IE2 ....
but I will have a look at the prososals you made
price range for a start, maximum 100 euro to start with
I also still have to buy the J3 that I will do directly in Korea this weekend

I'm living in Belgium

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #10 of 33
€100 is not a lot to start with, but for over the ear headphones, you could look at Creative Aurvana Live. I'm not a big fan of them, but they are cheap and for the price the sound quality is okay. Then there are superlux headphones, samson, and so on if you really want to have both an IEM and a headphone for that price.

My suggestion though, is to get a pair of IEMs for €100 and then save up for a better over the ear headphone later. It's easier to use IEMs both at home and on the go.

To find IEMs that you think would suit your tastes, have a look at ClieOS's and |joker|'s IEM threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-229-iems-compared-altec-lansing-uhp336-ue-superfi3-hippo-10eb-added-03-11-12

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-atomic-floyd-superdarts-remote-added-march-1st-2012

as well as the deals thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/518656/the-iem-portable-headphones-deal-alerts-thread-no-affiliate-links-permitted/4350

€100 should land you somewhere around VSonic GR07 and the likes.

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #11 of 33
I will do it that way first buy a good pair of IEM's between 150usd-200usd and after that, I will take a look at a good pair of headphones.

thanks for the links I will take a look at it before buying anything :)

I need to be honest, although a music fan, I was wondered of the various range of headphones, portable amps, .....

I didn't realise until I started to look for "something" on the internet, neither did I know COWON....

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #12 of 33
For that kind of money you will find a very good set of IEMs. Just research this site for IEMs and ask as many questions as you like.. :)

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #13 of 33
Thanks !!! I will !!!

first taking a very close look at the forum to determine the right brand for my "warm" music feeling and than I can have a look at type and budget

keeping you all informed

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 33
Be sure to check on the For Sale forum often, you're likely to find some good deals there.
It's how I put together my J3/Turbine Copper pairing that I've been fawning over since the summer for cheap.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #15 of 33

Quote:

Whoever told you this is an idiot. I use 75ohm HD25s - pro audio engineer portable monitors - with my J3. They're an ideal match. The J3 has a beast of an amp as portable devices go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back