Headphones/headset to get the most from Asus Xonar Essence STX Card
Aug 7, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #16 of 39
Dalamar wrote:

And yet that site doesn't prove it actually affects sound cards.

Verifiable noise suppression and you need proof.  All of a sudden, "garbage in equals garbage out" doesn't apply here.  My recommendation regarding purchasing and installing a decent power supply stands, even without your permission.

You do like trying to pick internet fights, don't you.

A suggestion, you don't like decent power supplies, that's fine, leave me out of your need to get in a fight.  In the meantime, find somebody else to satisfy your need to get in internet fights with.  There does seems to be a lot of fighters and bullies who like to pick fights on this forum.

???

I guess, I'll just have to make it a point not to respond to you as the rules are; "Do not feed the trolls."
beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #17 of 39
He has a good power supply, I have a good power supply. Your point? You're trying to push products that aren't necessary.

If he had too much power supply noise, the card would audibly have a problem and the problem would explicitly show up in RMAA. But since the card does its job properly, no evident problems in RMAA, no special supply is needed.

What will you do next, start telling people to wear tin hats so that stray radio waves etc can't interfere with your brain? It's the same crap. And honestly maybe a tin hat might fix your paranoia and placebo problem. Rofl.

Aug 7, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #18 of 39

Quote:

..and yet you just proved that it does affect the sound.
The ST/STX has a "massive" amount of power noise rejection.  That is how it measures so well.  -Your words.
That being said, if it didn't have the "massive" clean up circuitry it would affect the measurements.
So you have just proven and stated that power does affect the soundcard.
It is nice to see you are starting to figure out some of the basic principles behind audio electronics.

Any properly designed card, dac, etc won't need these fruity tin-hat tweaks. I understand the principals fine: but you're talking about ridiculous tweaks that don't make an audible difference. Just like audiophools always do.

Aug 7, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #19 of 39
So does anyone have any advice on what set of headphones would work the best with the STX and its dedicated headlhone amp? and wud be worth investing in to get the best possible sound? Anything under a grand wud be ideal.

Thx

Aug 7, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #20 of 39
Go audition headphones under a grand, or go randomly buy a pair under a grand. There's really nothing we can tell you besides subjective opinions which tend to be wrong.

Until speaker manufacturers are forced to use a standardized quality measurement so you can compare that way, it's a crapshoot.

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:
So does anyone have any advice on what set of headphones would work the best with the STX and its dedicated headlhone amp? and wud be worth investing in to get the best possible sound? Anything under a grand wud be ideal.

Thx

You would be better off to ask in the headphone forums.  What sets have you been considering?

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #24 of 39
well i heard people have problems with hd 650s with the highest gain etc, id suggest some hd 595s on lowest gain

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #25 of 39
What problems exactly? Cause i own that setup (ST & HD650) and i'm using extra high gain with absolutely no problems.
It's a very nice combo and i never heard a bad thing about it on all the months i read the forums.
And from some measures that have been done, highest gain (with high impedance cans) gives better result than with lower in that sound card.
Just look for other headphones if you mostly listen to rock music cause you don't get that "in your face" sound.

Quote:
well i heard people have problems with hd 650s with the highest gain etc, id suggest some hd 595s on lowest gain

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #27 of 39
I ran HD650s out of an Asus Essence STX, and with extra high gain, and the hi-fi setting (flat EQ, essentially), they sounded fantastic. Very clear and detailed, huge soundstage, good bass, great mids...

There is a huge thread on here specifically about the HD650 and the STX, not sure which subforum it's in, but it has a wealth of information, find it and read it...I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of people like the combo, it performs above it's price point, in my opinion...I think it's a very safe choice for you, good luck!

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #28 of 39
@USF09  -> thats great to know, I've been thinking on a pair of Senns and I'll def be digging around a bit more for that thread.  When I threw out the question I was hoping for some straight up suggestions/answers just like what you posted.  Appreciate it! Thx for the input. 

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #29 of 39

Quote:
@USF09  -> thats great to know, I've been thinking on a pair of Senns and I'll def be digging around a bit more for that thread.  When I threw out the question I was hoping for some straight up suggestions/answers just like what you posted.  Appreciate it! Thx for the input. 

Hey, actually just read the STX impressions/tweaking thread, right now it's the first thread in the computer audio forum...a lot of people are talking about the HD650 in there, and it gives information about different opamp configurations and the like to get the best sound...it's a very capable intro to head-fi, you'll be happy with it

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #30 of 39
Sludog, why don't you try Denon D2000 to start with? Especially if your are going to use it for games and movies too. It works quite well with ST.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back