Headphones/headset to get the most from Asus Xonar Essence STX Card
Aug 12, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #31 of 39

Quote:
beeman is full of BS and placebo, your power supply won't affect sound quality.

Um, yes it does via it's ability to power condition. i.e. it's ripple.  Less ripple means less distortion in the signal meaning better sound. In PC soundcard setups, the PSU plays a key role.
It's basic electrical engineering. Really. Anyway, Corsair's are very good quality PSUs with quite low ripple indeed so the PSU is fine. Also opamps have a huge effect on how a peice of sound equipment sounds like. Not to mention an underrated thing called software / firmware.

Either stop trolling or go learn some basic electrical engineering.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #32 of 39

Quote:
Go audition headphones under a grand, or go randomly buy a pair under a grand. There's really nothing we can tell you besides subjective opinions which tend to be wrong.

Until speaker manufacturers are forced to use a standardized quality measurement so you can compare that way, it's a crapshoot.

What's this?

http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php

You think speaker manufacturer just do R&D by putting random parts together...
Ignorant or a troll. I'd go the former.

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #33 of 39
Even if it makes minimal sound difference, recommending to buy PSU that pretty much equals in price with the card itself is simply ridiculous.

Making a claim on internet is easy. I would like to see those experts doing blind tests trying to determine the real difference.
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #34 of 39

Quote:
Even if it makes minimal sound difference, recommending to buy PSU that pretty much equals in price with the card itself is simply ridiculous.

Making a claim on internet is easy. I would like to see those experts doing blind tests trying to determine the real difference.
biggrin.gif

If power was not an issue for soundcards, the ST(X) would not have power clean up circuitry. 
Power is a major concern in audio design.
Anybody can make ridiculous claims, backing up your claims is the hard part.

Most modern PSU's are more then enough for a soudncard, unless it is malfunctioning or very,very cheap.  If that was the case your system would probably be unstable also.

Aug 12, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #36 of 39

Quote:
Also, all PSU's don't have a filter stage for nothing.....

Anyway, basics of a PSU:

http://www.play-hookey.com/ac_theory/ps_elements.html

Corsair's have very good filter stages (and are very good computer PSU's in general) so really, they really don't need to upgrade their PSU.

Not to mention all the soundcards that come with power conditioning circuitry right on the card.  Most will have some degree of ripple surpression and noise filtering circuitry.

Aug 14, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #38 of 39
If you are primarily a gamer, I think the STX is overkill.  In BFBC2, I can hardly tell the difference between this and my old x-fi platinum (as far as sound quality).  The only two things I notice are; 1. the x-fi highs were harsher, and could even be painful at loud volumes.  2. cmss-3d is noticeably better in this game for positioning over dolby headphone.

Don't get me wrong, the I love my STX, but if you game 90% of the time I might spend my $ elsewhere.

Aug 14, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #39 of 39

Users who are viewing this thread

Back