Headphones (full-size only) advice for purely for using with iPod/iPhone
Jan 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

EversmannGT

New Head-Fier
Dear experts,

I'm trying to get some advice exactly for what the title says :) just because I'm not comfortable with reviews elsewhere before making a big purchase. This is a lower domain (if I may say so) for Head-Fi experts, that is why I want you guys to come down a little – forget concepts like – “no no to wireless”, “no no to commercial brands” and advice just for this specific request. Many Thanks in advance!

-          My budget is up to £350
-          Purely to use with basic music player (iPhone primarily – maybe with iMac)
-          Typically listen to House/Trance music (Armin van buuren’s State of trance) at 320 kbps MP3, I do listen to many other genres but never more than 320 kbps (I can send some sample tracks if required)
-          Need noise cancellation

I’m primarily looking at the Parrot Zik (£279 with offer – retail £350) versus Bose QC 15 (£299).

The Bose was rated very highly within head-fi itself, and I remember reading many comments saying – it’s as good as it gets with noise cancellation. And I’ve been listening to Trance music on my friends Bose QC3 and extremely happy with the sound I got. Which actually got me in the mood for a new set – So I guess, even without trying I’d say the QC15 is a good benchmark for what exactly I want!

Now the Zik – I am a bit of an exclusive and fashion freak and have definitely fallen for Carla Bruni posing with this cool thing, which to be fair is a premium device... I just don’t know about the sound – so... if the WIRELESS Zik can get close to the benchmark, or does a good job for what I need... I’ll probably reach for that over a Bose you see everywhere! I won’t wear Beats! :)

I currently use a Shure SE215, which is great, but wearing the IEM’s for too long is getting a bit uncomfortable. especially in the office, if i have to take it off and put it back everytime someone talks to me... And if I noticed correctly, the Bose QC3 sound was better than my 215.

So that’s my case. Any advice is much appreciated. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #2 of 5
The QC 15's noise cancelling serves me well. As far as active NC goes Bose is still hard to beat.

You can also take a look at the Logitech UE9000 or Harman/Kardon NC, both within your price range. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks! Got it! 

Been on it for a day and more now... everything's perfect except it seems to recognise minor movements and pauses!!! I've managed to convince myself to keep it from all other aspects, but this is seriously annoying now. Any thoughts anyone? 

prior to buying, most of my readings at least suggested it was pretty smart in recognising taking headset off the head and pause accordingly. although generally it faired well, when it seem to happen... it seem to be on a roll (pretty much pausing every 30 seconds) and i'm pretty sure sometimes I hardly moved my head or even look in a different direction...
This really is a deal breaker... and I am thinking of returning it half heartedly... Any thoughts/advice much appreciated!

Many Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back