Headphones for winter (fog, frost, snow)
Oct 16, 2007 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

niko-time

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I am in the mood to get some fairly nice, open cans which have got nice soundstage etc. I want it to make me feel warm inside and be nice and airy (I'm not explaining this well at all). Budget is around the K701 price as that was the can I was thinking of before.

Music I primarily listen to is post-rock and I'd like these to be best for the more ambient side of the post-rock spectrum, but still sound good when more rocky stuff kicks in.

What do you think?

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 16
Up
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 16
I think you're right to move away from the K701 for your music. I was about to suggest a DT990 just now, but then I thought of a headphone I was just writing about in another thread: I bet you haven't considered going for a Stax SR-5. You should, it would be a great fit both for the music you're listening to and the signature you want. You can get a pair on ebay.de for about 100 euros (a little more for great condition, a little less for well-used) including an SRD-6 or 7 transformer box to hook up to your Arcam Delta 290. Of course ask first to make sure the seller will ship to England, but I bet it won't be an issue. For me this would easily beat a DT990 or K701 at this role, and would cost less to boot.

Oct 18, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 16
Wow, I didn't think of that at all. That will actually be really good I think.

Actually, I would need it to be fairly portable, I want to do the odd walk whilst wearing it. Or is there a more conventional one which would work portably?

Oct 18, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 16
DT880 05 fits perfect in your description. Very airy, bit soundstage with a warm tone. Or if you want to get sweaty, a pair of HD650.

EDIT: DT880 is probably better for rock than HD650. Have not done a head to head of those two though. I use dt880 for rock and really really likes it.

DT990 is also warm, but I think you need a very good rig to do them just. A meier opera or something similar. My head5 is not enough to make them shine.

Oct 18, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 16
I was thinking for these can's to be for more ambient stuff, or less rocky, then picking up some grado's or something eventually.

Oct 18, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 16
I'm afraid they look just a bit too geeky for my walks
wink.gif
Are there any non-electrostatic alternatives?

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 16
ER4P/S. They won't get damaged by the cold wet weather like open cans could, and they sound somewhat similar to the K701s. And I think that the K701s are excellent for the kind of music you described listening to.

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 16
I have my E500 for my IEM needs
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 16
Maybe a DR150? Cheaper than the K701 area but favourable comparisons from a great many people to the K701/HD600 arena. Cheaper, easy to get ahold of in the UK and more suited by their cord and size to portable use.

Oct 18, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 16
Ooo, they look good. Very good in fact. And cheap! I've been looking through the impressions thread (on page 7) and most people seem to like it.

I think I have found my new set of cans
smily_headphones1.gif
I need to wait to send the payment for the custom pc case I have currently building, but after...
smily_headphones1.gif

What amp should I get to partner with them for my sig setup?

Oct 18, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe a DR150? Cheaper than the K701 area but favourable comparisons from a great many people to the K701/HD600 arena. Cheaper, easy to get ahold of in the UK and more suited by their cord and size to portable use.

good idea for a conventional alternative, and probably a good fit for the op's needs.

Oct 18, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 16
After more reading I have been finding the DR150's to just keep getting better for my tastes.

Now, which amp has synergy with it? I haven't gotten up to the amp's bit in the DR150 impressions thread (if they have anything on them)

EDIT: A non portable amp.

EDIT 2: Forget about amp now, I've just looked at them woodied. Wow they look great. I can't not get them woodied now, I'm going to have to spend more on them and get them made
smily_headphones1.gif

docs1.jpg

Gawp...

Oct 18, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #15 of 16
just one little question, you´re gonna use these outside ? like in the snow or rain ? becuase for that, i would take a pair of PX100 or Koss 75´s to use under a pair of ear muffs, its a shame to expose quality headphones (expencive quality headphones) to harsh weather conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back