Headphones for: wide variety of use, comfort, stock performance
Apr 27, 2013 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

flabbergaster

New Head-Fier
Hi again,

I put aside purchasing a set of headphones for a while, but now I am definitely sure to get some. I am looking for something that can accommodate my needs:
-Comfort. These will be worn for 5hr+ periods at work, so I need to make sure I won't get any head pains. 
-Quality. I listen to dubstep, house, dance, rock, alternative, hip hop, literally everything bar country music. So I think this calls for an EQ since I would like headphones that are good for bass?
-Stock performance. I don't want to dive into all the mods, upgrades, etc. so something that can work well by itself.
-Price vs. Quality. I have $150 to spend, so I want the most I can make out of it.

I've narrowed it down to the Sennheiser HD280's or the ATH M50's, although I've heard numerous reviews of the M50's being uncomfortable because of the pressure. Any other ideas?

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 24
You might have the 280s and the m50s mixed up. The 280s have a ton of clamp, and are unbelievably uncomfortable. The m50s would be good, also look into shure 840s and 750s.
I am guessing you need closed headphones, and given your budget you don't have a lot of options, but the m50s should be fine.

I'm sure other people will have more suggestions

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:
Those are over his price limit.

Prices are flexible. I've seen the 2400 going for $165 a couple months ago. Even going at $200 at Amazon right now, I would say it's worth increasing the budget by $50. Of course, this assumes he can use openback headphones at work... which is not likely.

And the HFI-2200 sounds exactly the same as the HFI-2400, though it has a weird brown color scheme.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:
I assume the m50s would be the more comfortable compared to 750s

Marginally, yes. But neither is going to live up to OP's lofty 5hr+ goal. I think sound-wise the srh750dj trumps the M50 especially for someone who appreciates his bass.

Quote:
$150<$165
wink.gif

I do recommend he stretches his budget, could stretch for a dt770. but then you have to start looking at amps

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasone-S-logic-HFI-2200-Over-the-Head-Headphones-L-k-/170897204101?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item27ca446385

Gotcha!
tongue.gif

Well, I don't recommend anyone to buy this b/c it's from some random seller (despite his positive feedback) and won't come with warranty.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 24
Maybe the beyerdynamic custom one pro would be something to look into.

Your really not going to find much at your price point that you can wear for 5 hours straight. I had the old Bose AE2's, and I spent 9 hours with them on (however long it is from seattle-honolulu) and those are some really comfy headphones. The sound quality might leave a little to be desired.

Again, considering what you are looking for and what you are willing to spend, you will have to compromise. From the headphones I have used/demoed, the AE2's would easily be the most comfortable out of anything.

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 24
$150<$165 :wink:

I do recommend he stretches his budget, could stretch for a dt770. but then you have to start looking at amps

Agreed. I think the M50 is a decent headphone for under a $120, but the DT770 has better SQ. Worth the extra money if you can afford it, but you would probably need a headphone amp. Only downside to the DT770 over the M50 is that it's not very portable.

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #10 of 24
I'm willing to stretch my budget to $200 if options are rocky below $150. 

Yes, I do need a closed headset because it gets loud at work. And after some reading I assume open back earphones leak noise? that'll piss off everyone at work...

My main priority is that they are able to stay comfortable after 5+ hours of use. I expect to wear them for two 5 hr periods, one/two hour break in between.

What is the need for an amp? I read a little and I'm guessing it's so that quality loss from increasing my music source's volume is prevented?

No: M50's (too many friends hate them) HD280's, HFI2200/2400 (open)
Maybe: Shure 840's, DT770 (these look really comfortable)

Apr 28, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #11 of 24
The DT770s are some of the most comfortable headphones you can get. The Beyerdyanamic DT series is known for that.

The 770s in your price range are also 250 ohm headphones. If you are driving them with portable devices or a computer, you will get some SQ benefit increase from a headphone amp that can handle higher impedance phones. Plus, the 770s just need more power to reach the same volume as many other headphones. You could try and see if they are loud enough for you. There's no risk ordering from Amazon if you get a product sold by Amazon or Fulfilled by Amazon (not 3rd party sellers who do their own shipping). Amazon has a really good RMA policy. Keep the packing and the headphones in perfect condition, and you can return them if you don't like them. The cost of return shipping is probably no more than $10.

Apr 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #12 of 24
Since you have already stretched your budget, you could look into getting a cheaper amp. a Fiio e6 will drive them better than an iPod or computer sound card I would think. Also you could look into the for sale forums on here to get the best amp.
If you were to buy a used dt770 and a cheap used amp you might end up only spending around $150. Probably a little over, but not too bad.

Purple angel has posted in a couple of threads that the e6 can drive the 250ohm version.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621187/fiio-e6-beyerdynamic-dt-770-pros

Sony mdr1r might also be worth looking into.

Apr 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #13 of 24
The DT770's are only $175 from Amazon right now so I just placed the order for a set. I'll definitely keep your advice in mind, cel4145.

I'll think about getting an amp after I get the headphones. It's generally quiet where I am so I THINK I should be okay...

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be sure to post back my exp with the DT770's

May 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:
With the dt770 the amp isn't purely for loudness, the sound is affected when underdriven

Yeah, that makes sense. The set sounds good but not as good as my friend's M50's. I have to put the volume on max and it's still not loud enough, so definitely need an amp...

Any suggestion guys? Looking at the Fiio E6 right now, looks good. If I have an amp will I need a good soundcard or music player? I mainly use it with my iPhone 4 and my laptop, sound card is a Realtek HD Audio? I actually don't know what it is or how to find out what I have ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back