Headphones for voice recommendation
Sep 21, 2020 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

hifinoob005

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Been doing some research for some headphones for work. Listening to phone calls. I know this is a bit off the beaten path of what is usually asked.
I understand there are limitation due to technology, but I would like to get the most of it.

Biggest trouble I'm having is with higher frequency ranges, 2-6K.

From what I own, the Ultrasone PRO580i seems to do the best here. They are a little harsh and have a dip in the mid range, which is also necessary.
For human voice something between 300Hz and 6KHz?
Got a pair of Superlux 668B, which don't do well in the upper range, not clear.
Can't use an EQ.
Budget no more than necessary.

Initially I was looking at models that are
circumaural
compatible with thicker pads (over 28mm in the back)
open/semi open so ears don't sweat
don't require amplification

But priority is sound performance in the required task.

There are a lot of models out there and not sure where to start. Looking at the frequency response graphs it seems a lot of them dip at around 5K.
I'm still researching, and I'll try to listen to some live if I can find them.
On the list there's Grado, AKG, Shure (not open except for a more expensive model), same with Sony, Sennheiser HD500/600, ATH 500/700/900, HIFIman.

For pads I was looking at brainwavz, either velour or perforated. These would dampen the bass and highs and elevate the mids (?).
If I should be looking at other manufacturers please advise.

Not sure about compatibility with the software, so either analog or USB. If the headset does not require amplification but requires USB I was thinking at Sabrent USB External adapter or Behringer umc22. Perhaps something else if the headphones require more amplification or if the amp/dac can improve the sound features to what I'm interested in.

I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 16
I use a Sennheiser PC 8 el-cheapo headset for calls at work. The standard issue Jabras (don't remember which model(s)) are also fine. YMMV.

Sep 24, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 16
The Sennheiser headset does not have any volume control as far as I know. You have to set your PC on 100% and then the volume knob on the cable just allows you to attenuate or not. I think every USB headset is the same way.

Sep 24, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 16
Sadly, my ears are not as good as they used to be and I'm losing some hearing in the high frequencies. I wish I could offer some insight, but I'm no longer feeling like an audiophile and just starting to feel old.

What was that? Can you speak up?

Sep 24, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 16
Chin up, some judicious equipment selection and maybe a bit of EQ here and there and you'll be back in good old 1955 again :)

Sep 27, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #7 of 16
The Sennheiser headset does not have any volume control as far as I know. You have to set your PC on 100% and then the volume knob on the cable just allows you to attenuate or not. I think every USB headset is the same way.

I do have access to volume control, but don't have access to an EQ.

If the headset is not loud enough I could get an amplifier. But for EQ I don't even know how that would go about. And I'd like to keep the cost and complexity low.

Sep 27, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #8 of 16
@hifinoob005,

Just my humble 2 cents,

I would suggest if you're looking for a headset mainly for communications, not music, just get the Plantronics Voyager Legend with case.
I have been using this for years with no issue, considering how many other wireless headphones & TWS IEMs I have, this is still my main for communications.
There is also a USB dongle you can get for using it on PC/MAC.

Feel free to ask more if you need.

Hope you have a great day !

Sep 27, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 16
@hifinoob005,

Just my humble 2 cents,

I would suggest if you're looking for a headset mainly for communications, not music, just get the Plantronics Voyager Legend with case.
I have been using this for years with no issue, considering how many other wireless headphones & TWS IEMs I have, this is still my main for communications.
There is also a USB dongle you can get for using it on PC/MAC.

Feel free to ask more if you need.

Hope you have a great day !

To be honest I'm surprised I can't get a recommendation for headphones that will improve on what a pair of Jabra's can do.
As I said in the beginning, my Ultrasone provide an improvement in the 3-5Khz region.

I have to wear them 8 hours a day, I'm avoiding IEM's for a reason. They have to be comfortable. And would want both ears, to shield from some ambient noise and to hear better.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #10 of 16
Aviation or broadcast headsets are probably available with relatively hot treble and a curve suitable to speech recognition rather than the generic headsets.

Dec 27, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 16
Aviation or broadcast headsets are probably available with relatively hot treble and a curve suitable to speech recognition rather than the generic headsets.

Yes but those are closed, I'm looking for open.

In the meantime I got Philips SHP9500 because it's flat frequency response with no dips in 4-6Khz. These are less clear/muddled with more soundstage.
Next would be some AKG, but I don't know if going by frequency response is necessarily the way to go.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #14 of 16
Hello,

Been doing some research for some headphones for work. Listening to phone calls. I know this is a bit off the beaten path of what is usually asked.
I understand there are limitation due to technology, but I would like to get the most of it.

Biggest trouble I'm having is with higher frequency ranges, 2-6K.

From what I own, the Ultrasone PRO580i seems to do the best here. They are a little harsh and have a dip in the mid range, which is also necessary.
For human voice something between 300Hz and 6KHz?
Got a pair of Superlux 668B, which don't do well in the upper range, not clear.
Can't use an EQ.
Budget no more than necessary.

Initially I was looking at models that are
circumaural
compatible with thicker pads (over 28mm in the back)
open/semi open so ears don't sweat
don't require amplification

But priority is sound performance in the required task.

There are a lot of models out there and not sure where to start. Looking at the frequency response graphs it seems a lot of them dip at around 5K.
I'm still researching, and I'll try to listen to some live if I can find them.
On the list there's Grado, AKG, Shure (not open except for a more expensive model), same with Sony, Sennheiser HD500/600, ATH 500/700/900, HIFIman.

For pads I was looking at brainwavz, either velour or perforated. These would dampen the bass and highs and elevate the mids (?).
If I should be looking at other manufacturers please advise.

Not sure about compatibility with the software, so either analog or USB. If the headset does not require amplification but requires USB I was thinking at Sabrent USB External adapter or Behringer umc22. Perhaps something else if the headphones require more amplification or if the amp/dac can improve the sound features to what I'm interested in.

I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great.
Grado's are extremely mids focused like AKG K701 and 702. Sennheiser HD6-- series are milder mids focused. 6XX/650/600 are mids focused.

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #15 of 16
Grado's are extremely mids focused like AKG K701 and 702. Sennheiser HD6-- series are milder mids focused. 6XX/650/600 are mids focused.

There are a few other considerations. I was trying to avoid adding any amps.

Another one is comfort, as in the pads should be over 28mm at the back of the ear. And not made of velour, which draw sweat. If they are, must be easily removed for cleaning.
So replaceable pads. I've only had experience with Brainwaivz pads, which are 30mm in height.

What about DT990 /1990 pro?

One pair which performs great at higher frequency is a Ultrasone. Maybe I'll check out the PRO 1480i as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back