Headphones for use with an iPhone
May 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rubbakubkub

New Head-Fier
Hello, I would like some advice and some recommendations please. okay this is what I have at the moment.. (setting scene)... 
happy_face1.gif

i own an iPad2 and an iPhone4S, I currently use the etymotic ER6i and I customised it using a guide online. I took the normal iPhone jack and microphone and stuck the ER6i heads on and its awesome. Its so much better than the iPhone earphones but theres a problem with the iPhone cable quality and needs replacement every 6months ish. I find the ER6i really good and it has been my first set of earphones and I'm not sure of quality of others but the noise cancellation is amazing and when I'm using them on the move, they don't fall out of your ear due to the tight fit.
oh and another thing, the remote actually works on MacBooks! i can control the volume and play/pause!

okay, now Im considering getting a pair of headsets and I'm unsure on what to get. I have budget of about £350 and wanting to get something that will last. i have looked at the beats wireless and beats pro but i have seen the cons of them (usually price and the outrageous bass enhancement). I have also seen the audio tecnica ath m50 which has really good reviews on amazon.

im not really sure on what to get. any ideas on whats coming out soon or what you boys/girls have? i listen to generally mainstream music incl. r&b and dub step stuff. i am also thinking of using the headsets only on train journeys/working at the desk (i.e. activities where I'm not really moving.)

Thanks for reading, any comment will be appreciated.

Kubi 
smile.gif

May 6, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 7
They aren't for sale yet, but B&W has a new model headphone called the P3 that sounds like it might be interesting. It has iPhone controls, too. In the mean time they have their P5 which is lauded by some yet hated by others. You can listen to those in combination with an (or even your) iPhone at any random Apple store, where I'm sure the P3s will show up in due time, too.

I'd skip the Beats if I were you. You'd be grossly overpaying. 

By the way I have a beyerdynamic dtx300p that I modded in the same way. I seriously wonder why more companies don't ship their portable cans with iPhone remotes.

May 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 7
thanks for the advice.

earlier this year i looked at the p5 and can't really remember how they sounded! but then at that time i wasn't actively looking for anything new. i also looked and b&o ones which were really comfortable (no idea of model)

i really want to try out wireless headsets, friend says there is annoying hissing noise on his bluetooth ones but that is easily drowned out by music!

beats are more fashion items, they do look good but i would surely targeted and mugged... maybe beats pro at about £250 worth it?

manufacturers could even supply or sell a connector with the mic and remote, im sure a lot of people would find that useful.

Thanks

May 6, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 7
The ATH-ES10, Pro900, Sony Z1000 are recommended and they sound detailed out of most DAPs.

May 7, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 7
thanks for info.

just looked online, currys doing beats pro for £225.

ATH-ANC9: not really sure where i can test these out, not really seen any tecnica on the high street.
The Sony Z1000: at £300... i could get beats and another pair of in ears... 

choice choices... :frowning2:

May 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #7 of 7
I owned the P5s and I can tell you I loved them. Though, as you may have heard from other reviews, the bass was really messed up in my opinion.
I switched from the Sony XB500 to the P5s to gain clarity, which I got a lot of straight from my iPhone but the bass on the P5s was pretty boomy and not as impactful and I noticed it straight out of the box. So in all it really depends on what you want. I ended up selling my P5s and picking up a pair of T5ps for portable use with my iPhone but the T5p needs a bit more power than the iPhone can provide so I'm going to get an amp for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back