Headphones for use on a digital piano...mostly
Oct 24, 2010 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

drunkenmarauder

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi,
I was originally checking out JUST headphones for a DP I'm looking to buy (Clavia Nord 88 or Kurz PC3x, haven't figured out which yet) for practice at night and for portability - headphones that replicated exactly what was being played, nothing more, nothing less. If it weren't for the whole "neighbors have normal hours" thing, I'd just stick to an acoustic. So I've been doing some research...then a little more...then HOLY crap there's an overwhelming amount of information I've spent the last 4 hours reading these forums about things I'm barely starting to get a grasp of. I think I've basically whittled my choices down to either the Sennheiser 600s or the Beyerdynamic BTs (unless these two aren't compatible someho? And I'm still open for suggestions around the 2-300 range), but then all of this stuff about sound sources, DACs, amps - the whole shebang - flew out of the bag and plopped uncomfortably onto the floor. 

As a classical musician, I was probably very susceptible to this so-called 'audiophile bug'. Going to awesome live performances will do you in for that, if you're not careful, and then computers, mp3 players, cd players, etcetc just won't cut it - or so I thought until coming here.
So now I'm looking at all of this, and I'm not too certain what to make of it.

#1, If I were to just use the headphones for the piano, will I need to buy a powersource?
#2, if so, how much would a decent and not at all excessive one run me?
#3, if I were to want to improve the quality of listening to recordings on my laptop with the headfonos, I'm probably going to want a DAC (looking for something 100-250), but will I need an amp AND powersource for that, for sure?
#4 (optional), what's a good setup for listening to mostly classical and jazz?
#N, Anything else, advice, recommendations, reviews, backhanded compliments, veiled insults, all welcomed here.
Thanks everybody!!

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 6
interesting way to expeience different headphones. I found them quite compatent, directly out of TRS, I think in the manual there were some older electrostatic headphones were suggested, Iv tried all my headphones and they all sound pretty good B&W sound rather natural in the sense of ambiance I notice this with recorded music as well.

Oct 25, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 6
A music store nearby my place uses the Audio Technica M40fs as their headphones with digital piano, and IMO they sound really good for that use.  And as someone who has a pianist sister and being around with the piano sound all my life (sometimes more than I care for!) I thought they sound pretty accurate to the real thing.  And the further plus with this is that it's very cheap and comfortable to wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back