Headphones for the Girlfriend Conundrum
Jan 2, 2017 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gidgiddonihah

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for some headphones for my girlfriend for her upcoming birthday (all she has is a pair of earbuds that don't work well). I have been out of the game for some time so I am trying to refresh myself on the options out there. I have looked at everything from new Audio Technica ATH-M50's (can't find any good used listings) to used NAD HP50's. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Requirements:

1. Easy to drive (she will be driving from her 2015 MacBook Pro Retina or LG G3 phone)
2. Non fatiguing response
3. Tight, controlled bass - she is not a fan of a lot of bass and very critical of flabbiness.

She likes:

Both of my headphones - HE-400's and Sennheiser HD25-II's but doesn't have much experience outside of them.

She Listens To:

1. Rock
2. Country
3. Classical
4. Rap (*shudder*)
wink_face.gif

Maximum Budget: $150ish (Used or new - I actually buy most of my audio gear used)

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 12
  I am looking for some headphones for my girlfriend for her upcoming birthday (all she has is a pair of earbuds that don't work well). I have been out of the game for some time so I am trying to refresh myself on the options out there. I have looked at everything from new Audio Technica ATH-M50's (can't find any good used listings) to used NAD HP50's. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Requirements:

1. Easy to drive (she will be driving from her 2015 MacBook Pro Retina or LG G3 phone)
2. Non fatiguing response
3. Tight, controlled bass - she is not a fan of a lot of bass and very critical of flabbiness.

She likes:

Both of my headphones - HE-400's and Sennheiser HD25-II's but doesn't have much experience outside of them.

She Listens To:

1. Rock
2. Country
3. Classical
4. Rap (*shudder*)
wink_face.gif

Maximum Budget: $150ish (Used or new - I actually buy most of my audio gear used)

Open or closed?

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 12
Let her get her own HP.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 12
  Open or closed?

Closed would be best for her.

Let her get her own HP.

There are no physical stores nearby for her to listen to and she wouldn't really know where to begin looking. If she doesn't like what I get her she can return or resell for something different.

Do they need to be portable? If not, then the akg k553 may work. But when I tried them they were definitely not portable cans.

Portability isn't super high on the priority list.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 12
She's better off with another earbuds instead of headphones IMO. Airpods should fit the bill and are available in many electronics brick and mortar store.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 12
Rap (*shudder*)

HAha

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 12
  I would look at a used P7 or a used HP50.

Didn't think of B&W. I tried one of their P series cans in an airport and wasn't a huge fan. Will look into it though.

She's better off with another earbuds instead of headphones IMO. Airpods should fit the bill and are available in many electronics brick and mortar store.

I would probably be very single very fast if I bought her Airpods
tongue.gif
. I should clarify: the earbuds are actually Xiaomi Piston IEM's I bought her that fell apart very quickly. I have ruined her for audio - she has become very picky. We did long distance for a few months and she went crazy without my speaker system or headphones (one might think she was more happy to see my Adcom speaker amp than me
gs1000.gif
). Now that I am back she is constantly stealing my headphones.

Jan 3, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #11 of 12
What about IEMs? Probably more luck there in that price range.
One more triple drivers
RHA ma750
Dunu dn1000
And countless others that I've heard so much about.
Only ones I have right now are the ma750, but by the end of the day I'll have my hands (and ears) on the meze 11 neo as well.
And like Weatherlight said, maybe consider buying new. :D

Jan 3, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 12

Didn't think of B&W. I tried one of their P series cans in an airport and wasn't a huge fan. Will look into it though.

I would probably be very single very fast if I bought her Airpods
tongue.gif
. I should clarify: the earbuds are actually Xiaomi Piston IEM's I bought her that fell apart very quickly. I have ruined her for audio - she has become very picky. We did long distance for a few months and she went crazy without my speaker system or headphones (one might think she was more happy to see my Adcom speaker amp than me
gs1000.gif
). Now that I am back she is constantly stealing my headphones.

Your GF is a rare breed lol. Most don't care about SQ and prefer simple solutions or fashion before function first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back