Headphones for Studio Production/Mixing and Engineering
Nov 8, 2008 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

nakata

New Head-Fier
Dear Head-fi,
I am a long time reader, first time poster!

I am looking for a transparent, non-colored, neutral sound for mixing and engineering music and i though i ask you guys because you seem to know your headphones in and out
k701smile.gif

I wont be using these headphones to lean back and enjoy classical or rock music but studying sound, clarity and stereo image.

I am about to buy AKG k702, but i wanted to know if there are any better alternatives in that pricerange.
I heard of the HD650/600 but i read in many reviews and threads that it sounds more bassy/round? I want as much detail and neutrality as possible.
Also, i chose the k702 over 701 because of the cable. Whats your guys opinion on this?

As for the AMP; which one do you guys recomend for the k701/702?
Anything between 200$~300$ would do.
if any of you out there has a k701/702 amp setup, please share your experiences
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 47
Don't have 702 just 701 but I actually like the long flexible 701 cable. Let's me move around pretty good without taking them off. Obviously I also have an amp for them but it cost double your price range. Mapletree Ear+HD.

Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - View Poll Results

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/mix...ng-cans-74787/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bes...9/#post1588257

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/adv...67/index2.html

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/loo...3/#post4143551

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/amp...studio-147052/

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 47
IMO HD600 are awesome for reference ....very detailed, neutral and their resolution is simply mindblowing..

HD650 had that bump in bass but HD600 were very neutral and yet musical.

mine are coming in December hopefully

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 47
though cans like 701/702 or HD600/650 are called reference headphones but they are dedicated more to HIFI listening. all of them have strond characters, I couldn't agree that they are non-colored.

For monitoring maybe Beyers are good choice.

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 47
For studio monitoring and mixing, go Beyer.
For best performance, DT-48 E, for 'bang for buck' DT-150.

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 47
hey how about SA5000?

i heard they are very detailed and sound analytical instead of musical

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #9 of 47
personally i don't think there's anything such as "neutral" phones. all phones/amp combos have their own unique color. for mixing, production, etc. my approach is to have a variety of equipment - listen to beyers to hear minute details in the highs - little clicks and imperfections - but to get the same sound that most consumers/listeners will get in the end it's a good idea to switch to senn's - maybe the mix is too dull then so adjust accorsingly, and then back to the beyers to make sure the new adjustments make sense. it's also a good idea to listen to comparative records to get used to the sound on a particular can...SO, i would say k601 and up in the akg line, senn hd595 and up, or beyer dt880 would all be good - the akg is a good choice as a first from what i've read about it, but i'd suggest acquiring another set of phones with a different signature in future.
i think this is very good link on the topic: Mixing On Headphones

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #10 of 47
Thanks for the replies everyone! Alot of mixed thoughs i see.
I read through all the links you guys posted, interesting reads.. though alot of people seem to favour the senn 600, even if they have less frequency responce.

Forgot to mention that i already own different speakers and headphones (have used closed cans until now) so i was looking for something more open and clean sounding.
I will go with the AKG k702 for now see how that works out.

Now i am really torn about the amp and power supply. I will be using PC out, meaning sound comming directly out of my soundcard.
Im not looking for anything supreme, just something that can drive and power the k701/702. I would say anything around 600$ or so.
regular_smile .gif

I have read about the Grace DAC's and such but i think it's just too much.
also, id rather stay away from tubes(do not want to change them when they burn etc..)
redface.gif
you guys have any tips, or should i take this matter to the amp forums?

Nov 9, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 47
Pick some capable headphones with faults you can learn and live with. I suggest closed. Pros and Semi-Pros will tell you that "real mixing" shouldn't be done on headphones anyway - again, if you know the limitations of your gear you'll probably be fine if you check your mixes.

Nov 9, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakata /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read through all the links you guys posted, interesting reads.. though alot of people seem to favour the senn 600, even if they have less frequency responce.

Forgot to mention that i already own different speakers and headphones (have used closed cans until now) so i was looking for something more open and clean sounding.

Now i am really torn about the amp and power supply. I will be using PC out, meaning sound comming directly out of my soundcard.
Im not looking for anything supreme, just something that can drive and power the k701/702. I would say anything around 600$ or so.
regular_smile .gif

also, id rather stay away from tubes(do not want to change them when they burn etc..)
redface.gif

ok - so as i understand you already have a decent soundcard - just looking for a good headphone amp...for $600-00 you can get something amazing - wish I had that budget :p
How bout this: Meier-Audio
was thinking perhaps the CORDA CANTATE

Nov 9, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakata /img/forum/go_quote.gif

regular_smile .gif

redface.gif

Well, first of all I'd like to recommend you to use monitors/speakers for checking/editing the stereo image. What type of setup do you have going? What converters are you using? I would recommend the PRO 750 over the AKG K 702 or any other headphone for that matter with a flat headphone amp. I'd advice closed, especially if you're talking about a bedroom studio. How quiet is your room, what type of equipment do you have standing nearby you, how much noise does your computer make, do you work mostly ITB or OTB, what exactly do you want to accomplish? Stereo imaging is only possible on Ultrasone headphones, and only slightly. What type of music do you mostly work with? What do you do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back