Headphones for sound design in video production
Feb 8, 2013 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jalann

New Head-Fier
Been searching now for nearly a week, every day all day, and have come up with a few that might work but, I am not convinced and there seems to be no end. The best might be to just decide, but before spending the cash thought I would ask for advice here. 

I do video production. Nothing real big but I am getting into larger productions a few of which have already been seen by fairly large groups for which decent sound systems are required. Naturally, sound quality is important. I do own a set of studio monitors but am not able to use them due to my current living arrangement.

Please take into consideration that I live in Bolivia, South America. The only headphones I found, that might be decent, are the Shure srh440, 840, and 940. There is very little to choose from and testing them is very rarely an option. Also, a friend will be able to bring some down for me from the U.S. so, my limit to options is whatever I can find online.

What I am looking for:
 -flat response, natural sound, good sound stage would be nice.
 -comfortable. I won't need headphones everyday but the days I would will be very long.
 -Durable. I take care of my stuff but still want to be using these for years to come without them falling apart.
 -Price: $150 give or take. I know this isn't much. Will go higher if the price seems justified.

The headphones that keep coming up are the Beyerdynamic dt770 pro. If I got these it would probably be the 250Ohm along with an amp/dac. The amp would be apart from the price range mentioned above. I have read several times that the dt770 pro is bass heavy. Do I need to be concerned about this?

What are your thoughts? Options?

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 17
The DT770's are very comfortable and durable, and have good sound stage for closed headphones. The 80 Ohm version is the bass heavy one, but in my opinion it's not all that bass heavy. Colored, yes, but by no means the bloated thumper that some people make it out to be. The 250 Ohm or 600 Ohm versions are more analytical.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:
The DT770's are very comfortable and durable, and have good sound stage for closed headphones. The 80 Ohm version is the bass heavy one, but in my opinion it's not all that bass heavy. Colored, yes, but by no means the bloated thumper that some people make it out to be. The 250 Ohm or 600 Ohm versions are more analytical.

Thanks for the clarification on the 80 Ohm. Exactly the kind of advice I was hoping to get.

Do you have experience with the Sony MDR V6 or 7506? They have come up several times in my search. I have wondered if people are more forgiving of the Sony's sound quality because they are inexpensive. Do you know how they compare to the DT770's ? 

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 17
I haven't heard them, unfortunately. BTW, is there a requirement that the headphones must be closed? Usually that's kind of a last resort if you really need the isolation. The DT880's are considered extremely neutral headphones; they're like the dt770's but more open and a different sound. There are some sellers who are selling them for decent prices, not much more than the DT770's go for on Amazon.

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 17
For video productions you'll need some hps with a great mids to hear the vocals right. You can try the AKG K-271MKll, or the K-240MKll. For more money, you can get the GMP 8.35 D Monitor. All those hps are studio monitor hps.   

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 17
Thank you for your replies. Sorry it has taken me some time to get back and respond. 

Quote:
I haven't heard them, unfortunately. BTW, is there a requirement that the headphones must be closed? Usually that's kind of a last resort if you really need the isolation. The DT880's are considered extremely neutral headphones; they're like the dt770's but more open and a different sound. There are some sellers who are selling them for decent prices, not much more than the DT770's go for on Amazon.

The main reason I lean toward a closed hp is for the same reason I am not able to use my monitors. I'm sure semi-open/open hps are not a loud as monitors it's just that I don't know how loud they would be. I read up on the DT880s you mentioned and other open hps in their price range. From what I read either an open or semi-open hp will better than closed. One that stood out was the HD600 but it is simply costs too much right now. I think it might be worth stretching the budget a bit farther for the DT880s if they are not too loud and of course if there is no other open or semi-open in my price range that beat them on sound quality. To clarify about the living arrangement, I live and work in a small house with my wife and 8 month old. I am working from a desk in the dinning room with the bedroom, a separate room, next to it. Don't want to disturb them when they are sleeping. 

Quote:
For video productions you'll need some hps with a great mids to hear the vocals right. You can try the AKG K-271MKll, or the K-240MKll. For more money, you can get the GMP 8.35 D Monitor. All those hps are studio monitor hps.   

Thanks for the suggestions Acix. After Tsujigiri got me looking at open hps I am interested to know what the K-240MKll are like. What is their soundstage like? Could you give me a comparison to other hps that seem to be popular like the DT880 and the HD600?
I read up on the GMP 8.35 D Monitor and really like what other are saying about them only it seems the soundstage is small due to them being closed.

Again, I really appreciate your questions and feedback.

Feb 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
Thank you for your replies. Sorry it has taken me some time to get back and respond. 

The main reason I lean toward a closed hp is for the same reason I am not able to use my monitors. I'm sure semi-open/open hps are not a loud as monitors it's just that I don't know how loud they would be. I read up on the DT880s you mentioned and other open hps in their price range. From what I read either an open or semi-open hp will better than closed. One that stood out was the HD600 but it is simply costs too much right now. I think it might be worth stretching the budget a bit farther for the DT880s if they are not too loud and of course if there is no other open or semi-open in my price range that beat them on sound quality. To clarify about the living arrangement, I live and work in a small house with my wife and 8 month old. I am working from a desk in the dinning room with the bedroom, a separate room, next to it. Don't want to disturb them when they are sleeping. 

Thanks for the suggestions Acix. After Tsujigiri got me looking at open hps I am interested to know what the K-240MKll are like. What is their soundstage like? Could you give me a comparison to other hps that seem to be popular like the DT880 and the HD600?
I read up on the GMP 8.35 D Monitor and really like what other are saying about them only it seems the soundstage is small due to them being closed.

Again, I really appreciate your questions and feedback.

You can try out the GMP 435 that is a open design and share the same drivers as the 8.35 D monitor @ 35 ohm. The point with the GMP, and the K240MKll is that you'll not need hps amp to drive them, and you'll need a hps with a good mids to be able to monitor the vocals clearly. I don't like the DT880, or the HD-600, I prefer the K702 as a studio hps. Anyway, to drive those hps you'll need a good DAC, and hps amp.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
I work for a Video Production company and we have two sound engineers - both use HD25 II's.

Thanks for the suggestion. I can see being able to test these and the many other hps would be the best way to decide. Unfortunately testing hps is not an option for me so based on first hand experience of others I think the best (for my budget) will end up being circumaural and semi-open/open. Out of curiosity though, do you happen to know why they use the HD25 IIs? Did they choose them as prefered hps or were their options limited... ? 

Quote:

You can try out the GMP 435 that is a open design and share the same drivers as the 8.35 D monitor @ 35 ohm. The point with the GMP, and the K240MKll is that you'll not need hps amp to drive them, and you'll need a hps with a good mids to be able to monitor the vocals clearly. I don't like the DT880, or the HD-600, I prefer the K702 as a studio hps. Anyway, to drive those hps you'll need a good DAC, and hps amp.

I like the fact that the GMP and the K240MKII don't need amps. However, the more I read the more I consider waiting and saving up a bit more. The point you make about being able monitor vocals got me reviewing hps again. The challenge with the continued search is that for just a bit more money you can get a better hp. Even so, my guess is that after hps like the DT880, HD-600, and K702 my ears are not going to appreciate the difference in sound quality enough to justify the difference in cost. I would think it better to get to know the hp well enough (whatever it might be) to produce a good mix on. Would you say this is true?

You said you prefer the K702 as studio hps so I read up on them and liked what I read. How would you compare the GMP 435 and the K702? Another concern I have is, how loud is an open back hp? If it helps, I don't like listening to music/audio at high volume especially on hps. I prefer the lowest but clearest volume.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #10 of 17
Neither the DT770 and the HD25 are flat, though they're popular for their durability and the overall reputation of their brands.

I'd vouch for either the GMP or a KRK KNS-series headphone if you can find either in your country. Both are pretty flat, really durable, and will fit your needs well without an amp.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I can see being able to test these and the many other hps would be the best way to decide. Unfortunately testing hps is not an option for me so based on first hand experience of others I think the best (for my budget) will end up being circumaural and semi-open/open. Out of curiosity though, do you happen to know why they use the HD25 IIs? Did they choose them as prefered hps or were their options limited... ? 

I like the fact that the GMP and the K240MKII don't need amps. However, the more I read the more I consider waiting and saving up a bit more. The point you make about being able monitor vocals got me reviewing hps again. The challenge with the continued search is that for just a bit more money you can get a better hp. Even so, my guess is that after hps like the DT880, HD-600, and K702 my ears are not going to appreciate the difference in sound quality enough to justify the difference in cost. I would think it better to get to know the hp well enough (whatever it might be) to produce a good mix on. Would you say this is true?

You said you prefer the K702 as studio hps so I read up on them and liked what I read. How would you compare the GMP 435 and the K702? Another concern I have is, how loud is an open back hp? If it helps, I don't like listening to music/audio at high volume especially on hps. I prefer the lowest but clearest volume.

The K702 can bring you to buy a very expensive system 3-4K, to get the top sound quality out of them. The K702 have one of the best soundstage depth, and this is mostly the bigger difference between them.

Feb 19, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #12 of 17
Everyone I personally know that does any video production work with headphones, are using Sony monitors. (a variety of them)

I don't think anyone would be satisfied only checking their work on a single setup though, and would also be checking on other headphones and speakers.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
Neither the DT770 and the HD25 are flat, though they're popular for their durability and the overall reputation of their brands.

I'd vouch for either the GMP or a KRK KNS-series headphone if you can find either in your country. Both are pretty flat, really durable, and will fit your needs well without an amp.

The KRK KNS sound very interesting, price weighing heavily here. Plus, I read a review on the  KRK KNS 6400 done by tdockweiler and in his words "the KRK KNS-6400 has a very impressive soundstage for a closed headphone". Have you listened to the KRK KNS 6400s? If so, would you say this is true?

Quote:

The K702 can bring you to buy a very expensive system 3-4K, to get the top sound quality out of them. The K702 have one of the best soundstage depth, and this is mostly the bigger difference between them.

Would you say then that the K702 are worth investing that much in? I mean, I'm sure investing in a nice system would improve the sound quality of just about any hp but not all hps would be worth investing that much in. If the K702s are worth an investment like this then I would be more inclined to get them and build over time.

Quote:
Everyone I personally know that does any video production work with headphones, are using Sony monitors. (a variety of them)

I don't think anyone would be satisfied only checking their work on a single setup though, and would also be checking on other headphones and speakers.

From everything I have read and from my little experience I definitely agree. As much as I am able I check my work on other systems. My current work situation does not allow for me to use studio speakers and I will probably only be able to buy one set of hps this time around. Whatever I get will have to do until I can afford more hps or until I can use my speakers. Having a second set of hps would still be nice though!

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
The KRK KNS sound very interesting, price weighing heavily here. Plus, I read a review on the  KRK KNS 6400 done by tdockweiler and in his words "the KRK KNS-6400 has a very impressive soundstage for a closed headphone". Have you listened to the KRK KNS 6400s? If so, would you say this is true?

I wouldn't say it's one of the best closed cans in terms of soundstage (a well-modded T50RP and others will do much better), but it's definitely in the top 30% or so.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #15 of 17
I would like to add again that I am leaning toward an open or semi-open hp but my concern about an open or even semi-open hp is how loud they will sound to other people nearby. I understand this is somewhat subjective but I have read some pretty decided opinions ranging from, "totally annoying to others working around me" to "Can't hear a thing from a couple feet away."

I don't use my studio monitors now because they would be too loud. If open or semi-open headphones end up being too loud they won't be an option for me. So, if possible, I need to get a good idea of how loud they will be or, should I say, how audible. Let me give an idea of my listening habits and work environment:

- I don't like listening to music/audio at high levels especially through hps. I have pretty sensitive ears and so prefer the lowest possible volume but still able to hear details.
- I work at home. The only others around will be my wife and now 8 month old son. The house is pretty small and my wife sometimes works in the same room with me about 4 feet away. She would find it distracting if the hps sounded like a radio only playing my editing at more than pretty soft background music levels.

Can an open hp be almost inaudible from a few feet away at low volume and still be able to hear detail with them on?
Any concrete experience or comparisons you could give will help.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back