Headphones for Rock/Hard rock under $250
Nov 30, 2011 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

vansoul

New Head-Fier
Hello.  I am looking for headphones for mainly rock/hard rock. Classical metal stuff like van halen, extreme, ozzy, some more recent stuff like collective soul, creed, alter bridge, and some newer A7X, bullet for my valentine. 

I'm not sure whether i would prefer open or closed headphones, and am not really sure of the difference between the two. I may use them in class or the library while studying but mainly at home. 

I'm willing to spend around $250. Any advice? thank you

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 6
Hello,

Personally I use the Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 and there are around your budget.
Here in Swiss you can find it online for $270, hope there are cheaper in your country !

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ultimate-ears-triple-fi-10-pro-earphones-gun-metal-blue-with-roadie-case

But the fit can be an issue with this IEM, for me I have to use it with the Sony Hybrid Earbuds and do the back flip (over the ears) to get the most.
In my point of view is a very good IEM for rock and metal, I use it for more than one year and I listen the same kind of music
L3000.gif

Nov 30, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 6
TF10 is awesome for hard rock/metal (my preferred genres), RE0 is also good for rock/metal.

Nov 30, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Hello.  I am looking for headphones for mainly rock/hard rock. Classical metal stuff like van halen, extreme, ozzy, some more recent stuff like collective soul, creed, alter bridge, and some newer A7X, bullet for my valentine. 

I'm not sure whether i would prefer open or closed headphones, and am not really sure of the difference between the two. I may use them in class or the library while studying but mainly at home. 

I'm willing to spend around $250. Any advice? thank you

Are you looking for full-size headphones, portables, or in-ear (IEM)?  In-ear will give you the best isolation for public use.  Full-size and portables will often be a bit more comfortable, especially if you don't like putting things in your ears, and will usually give a fuller sound, but won't isolate quite as well. 

As for open vs. closed, open headphones don't isolate very well, but give a better soundstage and (some people think) a more natural sound.  Closed headphones isolate better than open headphones, though not as well as most IEMs, and typically have better bass response.

Grados (new SR225/used SR325 can be had in your price range) are typically the first recommendation for rock, hard rock, and metal.  They do guitars quite well and have enough of a midbass hump to give the bass the presence it needs, though it doesn't extend very deep if you're looking for rumble rather than punch.  They are open and have virtually no isolation though, so you'll be able to hear external sounds fairly clearly and people within a few feet of you will hear your music.  I would strongly recommend looking to see if a retailer in your area carries them and allows demos, or order from Amazon so you can take advantage of their return policy since the Grado sound isn't for everyone.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Grados - I find the mids and highs too forward and piercing.  For rock and metal, I prefer the Fischer FA-011.  They're a bit more laid-back than the Grados in the mids and highs, as well as having much deeper bass extension, which makes them more versatile in my opinion.  They're rather difficult to find though - only two retailers that ship to the US carry them, and one is out of stock while the other takes forever to ship and has hit-or-miss customer service.

I would also look at the Shure SRH-840.  I haven't listened to them, but they're commonly recommended for rock.

Nov 30, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 6
I will recommend the closed headphones because it provide noise isolation and no one else can hear your music. The headphones like M80, DT1350, P5, MS500, JVC XT10 are recommened and they sound great for these genres music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back