Headphones for ROCK and Old School Metal
Aug 30, 2012 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Ricv2106

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

I would like to purchase my very fist good set of Headphones however....its so hard to choose!
These sets shall only be used to listen to Rock Music and some old school Metal and sometimes to play games PC games but most importantly is how the cans perform with Rock and Metal music

the stuff i usually listen are:
The Scorpions, The Michael Schenker Group, Dio,Metallica,Iron Maiden, Priest, Helloween, Steel Panther, Van Halen,pink floyd, Guns n' Roses,Def Leppard, Coheed and Cambria and some punk rock too.

Anywyas my budget is up to 150 € but if I am paying that then it must feel for me that I am not just wasting my money.

Feature wise most important for me is the sound quality,Build quality - i would not want a 150 € headphone to break in just a few months......  comfort is fairly important too and sound isolation would be nice but if the sound quality is amazing then i don't mind if there is some sound leak.So please recomend me some open and closed cans and what is overall the advantage of it besides the sound isolation. Preferably the Non Amplified to play on my android phone and on my pc although maybe end of this year or next year i will get myself a proper sound card for my pc.

So to continue I was considering these:

Sennheiser HD 555, 598 - I remember hearing these at some shop,they were so comfy and I liked the feel of them.
  The way I remember it the 598 sounded warmer and it seemed as i could discern a bit more between the instruments.However the songs played on the shop was some crappy pop music that was not well recorded (probably some really low mp3 bitrate) so I don't know how good they are for rock.

Shure SRH840

alessandro ms-1 - I heard that these are amazing for rock

Creative Labs Aurvana Live - These are cheap comparing to the others but they might be just suficient for me unless there really is a huge difference in sound quality against the others.

Sennheiser HD 280 and HD 380

Philips The Strech - I got a friend who has these and I found them nice and they are not that expensive, however i want the best sound i can get for my budget :wink:

Anyways thank you all in advance for your advice.

and Rock on!!

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 15
Prepare to have Grados suggested to you a lot, probably ideal. I blasted some Judas Priest through my Denon's this morning, they still handle that kind of thing pretty well. I don't believe Sennheisers are the go-to rock can though.

You will have to decide weather you want open or closed though, the low end is usually a lot different on both. I prefer closed/semi closed for guitars and rock.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for your comment man. Yeah I heard a lot about Grado's too. But how bad is the sound isolation with open cans, like if you are near people and stuff would they be able to hear what you are listening and if you are listening to music in a noisy environment (like if the TV is on) would you be able to hear it and will it affect what you are listening in a bad way.

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
Thanks for your comment man. Yeah I heard a lot about Grado's too. But how bad is the sound isolation with open cans, like if you are near people and stuff would they be able to hear what you are listening and if you are listening to music in a noisy environment (like if the TV is on) would you be able to hear it and will it affect what you are listening in a bad way.

How ever loud you are listening to your headphones, that sound is getting pushed out the back of them, there is very little to stop them from filling up a room. 

Some open cans are much better than others with background noise, but once you are listening to them, you can't really hear other stuff as easy. Nothing compared to cans with good isolation though.

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 15
Yeah, I heard grados are good for rock music. Only tried them out for like a minute or so, but what I heard was good.
I really enjoy listening to rock with my akg k242 hd.

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 15
Sennheiser HD25 for all your rock and metal needs (maybe except Pink Floyd, but hey.. sounds good enough too). Infinitely more versatile than a Grado, with high detail and immensely engaging sound. You should be able to find a pair for around 150 euros.

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 15
The sennheiser HD-25 I II are good for rock and such genres, ultrasone is not bad either. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
The sennheiser HD-25 I II are good for rock and such genres, ultrasone is not bad either. 

I have the HD25-1 II and would agree. I don't think they sound quite as good for rock and metal as the Grados, but they are a bit more versatile too and if you need the isolation a very reasonable choice over the Grados. 

If you have a larger head or wear glasses though they might be uncomfortable, as part of the reason they isolate so well is that they have quite a high clamping force (I wear glasses and find them uncomfortable for anything longer than brief listening sessions). Just something to bear in mind.

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 15
Btw, which kind of games you play Op? do you need accuracy or you are fine with overall Sq? 

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Prepare to have Grados suggested to you a lot, probably ideal. I blasted some Judas Priest through my Denon's this morning, they still handle that kind of thing pretty well. I don't believe Sennheisers are the go-to rock can though.

You will have to decide weather you want open or closed though, the low end is usually a lot different on both. I prefer closed/semi closed for guitars and rock.

My HD600 sounds great with the OP's music, BUT only with the right amp, which I don't think he'd want to have to think about.

My vote goes to the SR225, had one before. It just got kind of redundant when I got the HD600, since my tube amp at the time just made both sound nearly the same with the Sennheiser having better soundstage. I'd want to try it my SS amp now though since this one's really pushing the HD600 a lot better. Closest I've tried recently was the RS-1 and it was so smooth, fluid and dynamic it was like the HD600 on it, but with a bit smaller soundstage (crossfeed on though; off, it was a tad harsh).

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #11 of 15
I'm a huge metal fan and I listen to many sub-genres. I think Grado works well for the traditional metal and hard rock. If you're into a wider range of genres it might be better to get a more flexible headphone.

My 0.02

Aug 31, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #12 of 15
Thanks Guys for your Repply. I narrowed my choice to either the:  Grado's SR 80, Allesandro MS 1, and the Sennheiser HD 25.

Can someone please explain me the difference between the Grado's and Alessandro as I heard that they quite similar, and which one of these would be better for my needs.

And about the Sennheiser I saw that there are different variants at different prices like here:

http://www.amazon.es/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_10/276-5613079-9464306?__mk_es_ES=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sennheiser+hd+25&sprefix=sennheiser%2Caps%2C110

You get like a  Sennheiser HD 25 that retails from like 100 - 200 € just don't know which one is more suitable for me and what is the difference between these models.

And obviously there is also the price: I saw that I can get the Allesandro MS 1 for under 100 € with shipping in the Allesandro web site while you get the Sennheiser HD 25 I - II that retails at 179 € which is quite a difference in price. I just wonder if the price difference is justified for what I plan to use it for, Mainly listen to Rock / Metal Music with the ocasional gaming thrown in
and which ones of these models are well built so that they do not break after like just a few months...

Thank you all for your Input.

Ric.

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #13 of 15
Can you please tell me more about your AKG 242 HD? I saw that they are semi open so do they leak a lot of sound? And would it be better if i got an amp with it and if so which model could i get for a reasonable price (Less than 50 €) would something like a FiiO 6 work fine?

Thank you for your input.

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:
Yeah, I heard grados are good for rock music. Only tried them out for like a minute or so, but what I heard was good.
I really enjoy listening to rock with my akg k242 hd.

Can you guys please tell me more about your AKG 242 HD? I saw that they are semi open so do they leak a lot of sound? And would it be better if i got an amp with it and if so which model could i get for a reasonable price (Less than 50 €) would something like a FiiO 6 work fine?

I saw that they retail for 99 € and for 50 more i got get a decent amp, thats why i am asking. Would it be nice for Rock and Metal?

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Can you guys please tell me more about your AKG 242 HD? I saw that they are semi open so do they leak a lot of sound? And would it be better if i got an amp with it and if so which model could i get for a reasonable price (Less than 50 €) would something like a FiiO 6 work fine?

I saw that they retail for 99 € and for 50 more i got get a decent amp, thats why i am asking. Would it be nice for Rock and Metal?

Sorry for the delayed answer.

They do leak sound, Not as much like a full open headphones but still theres some music coming out and that can disturb people around you.
They are low impedance headphones so they will work fine without an amp. But you will get more bass response with an amp, and thats good for rock music. I use them with a nuforce icon hdp, the amp is overkill for these headphones but they sound great for rock/metal. Never tried any fiiO amps but I've read good reviews and they will probably not have any problem driving the k242 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back