Headphones for rock and metal? (yes another thread like this)
Oct 25, 2009 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

UrturaGei

New Head-Fier
Wasgwannin headfi,
I'm looking into getting some headphones because recently my soundcard broke that i bought from maplins, after noticing even the difference of a £20 soundcard to onboard i was like 'oshiet i gotta get me some good equipment yo'

I've looked around and have already been recommended the Asus Xonar Essence STX PCI Card since it already has everything already onboard.
But then i was told that different headphones make for different music so,
I want a good balance between bassyness but also clear enough for distinguishing between instruments because i listen to a lot of music with multiple parts.

Tezza_Larks’s Music Profile – Users at Last.fm
maybe this will help towards what type of headphones would be good for my tastes.

My budget, i guess, will be £110 for the soundcard and then maybe between £50 and £120 for the headphones!

Hoping for a lot of help!
Thanks
Terry

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 11
Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet.
Look around on the first few forum pages. There quite a lot of rock/metal phone threads.

Grado's are great with metal, for 120 pounds i guess the SR80i is good one, or the Alessandro MS-1.
Although they sound better with an amp, they don't need it. Assuming you aren't considering that.

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 11
G.R.A.D.O

still the best metal and rock phones I ever heard...
I only have the RS1, and I didn't auditioned the less expensive models, but from all the reviews there are some very good ones.

about amplification, the RS1 sure sounds awsome straight from a portable, but an amp would raise their performance considerably. (especially tubes
smile.gif
) just a tip for thought. good luck mate!

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 11
A 'phone from Grado would suit your preferences perfectly.

As Stitch says, the one that fits your budget best is SR80i. Check that one up.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 11
Another vote for Grado.

It's difficult to find retailers, though, no matter where you are. Only a hanful of places stock them here in the Colonies.

Also, Grado prices overseas tend towards the vicious. Your best bet is to find a used pair in the For Sale Forums here. You might also be interested in the Alessandro MS-1 (Alessandros are Grados made under a different brand name) that sells for $99 worldwide. If you want to stretch your budget, try the Alessandro MS-2i for $299.

Personally, I'd skimp on the soundcard and go for the MS-2i or maybe a used Grado SR-225.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back