Headphones for Rock and Jazz
Jul 14, 2008 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi there, I'm looking for a pair of headphones that are good with mostly rock and some jazz. I like grado's for rock but I can't stand listening to jazz on them.(I know I know....
eek.gif
)

I need something that is fast, dynamic, and fun, but also smooth treble and a very natural sound.

I don't know if the Beyer DT990 is the best choice, but that is what I've been eyeing lately.

I don't mind the phone being on the bright side so long as the treble isn't etchy and sibilant.

For right now the price range needs to be under $300. Thanks everyone!!

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 15
I'm in the same boat. I love my Grados for rock, but I either need a seperate headphone for small combo jazz or I need to bite the bullet and get the RS-1.

Recently, I've been looking at the K701s or the HD600. I don't know much about the Beyers, Ultrasone, or Audio Technica.

I love my Grados though, and I wonder if the RS-1 will be as good with jazz.

I'll be watching this thread!!

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GS1000 are made for JAZZ, imo, but a lot of members are very happy with RS-1 to.

that may be a bit out of the $300 budget. just a bit.

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimSmiley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the same boat. I love my Grados for rock, but I either need a seperate headphone for small combo jazz or I need to bite the bullet and get the RS-1.

Recently, I've been looking at the K701s or the HD600. I don't know much about the Beyers, Ultrasone, or Audio Technica.

I love my Grados though, and I wonder if the RS-1 will be as good with jazz.

I'll be watching this thread!!

Just to let everyone know, I've owned RS-1, HD650, DT880, k701, MS-2i, etc.

I loved RS-1 for rock and HD650/DT880 for jazz. But the RS-1's just colored the sound too much for me to enjoy jazz compared to the 650's or dt880's. But the latter two didn't do justice to my mostly classic rock collection.

So, stuck in the budget that I am, I need to find a compromise between the two.

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 15
I'd recommend either the Beyerdynamic DT880 or the Sennheiser HD-600 for both rock and jazz. Those are terrific all-around headphones.

However, did you think about going with a two headphone solution? If you already have Grados, you might want to consider the AKG K-501 for jazz. It excels at jazz and you can rock with the Grados. The Beyerdynamic DT48 is more forward and has a tighter soundscape than the K-501, but is hugely neutral and lots of fun for jazz.

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 15
I would like to throw in the AKG K601 as well.
Great all-rounders.

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 15
Considering your past experience, I dont think youll be able to find anything sub 300$ that will satisfy your needs. I thought my HD650s were great all rounders, but recently discovered electrostatics. For the past few days I've been trying very hard to find something that doesn't sound mind-blowingly good on my Lambda pros, but as of yet Ive failed. I dont know about the 2020 system (500$) or other used systems (a full lambda pro system just sold for 225 on audiogon) but if there anything like my lambdas, you wont be disappointed with electrostatics.

Jul 14, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchess of York /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering your past experience, I dont think youll be able to find anything sub 300$ that will satisfy your needs. I thought my HD650s were great all rounders, but recently discovered electrostatics. For the past few days I've been trying very hard to find something that doesn't sound mind-blowingly good on my Lambda pros, but as of yet Ive failed. I dont know about the 2020 system (500$) or other used systems (a full lambda pro system just sold for 225 on audiogon) but if there anything like my lambdas, you wont be disappointed with electrostatics.

X2 although mine's a SR-Lambda

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there, I'm looking for a pair of headphones that are good with mostly rock and some jazz. I like grado's for rock but I can't stand listening to jazz on them.(I know I know....
eek.gif
)

I need something that is fast, dynamic, and fun, but also smooth treble and a very natural sound.

I don't know if the Beyer DT990 is the best choice, but that is what I've been eyeing lately.

I don't mind the phone being on the bright side so long as the treble isn't etchy and sibilant.

For right now the price range needs to be under $300. Thanks everyone!!

I have found that the Ultrasone Pro (Proline) 750 excells at both of these musical genres. Just to let you know: Burn-in is very important with these headphones. Once they are burned-in, beautiful!! IMO.
Look at the links in my signature area.

Good luck.

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #13 of 15
I concur 'Dutchess of York' on Stax.
A pair of Lambda's can be had for less than $300, and are excellent performers for the price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #14 of 15
I just don't know if I could bring myself to put some of those Stax phones on my head. Not to mention what my wife would think especially if she thought the RS-1's were ugly.
eek.gif

But I did listen to the He60 once and it absolutely blew my mind.
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #15 of 15
Once I heard how beautiful the Stax sounded, I don't care how ugly they are! I rewatched Cloverfield with my Stax last night and man it was absolutely mind blowing especially the unbelievable precise imaging. It certainly blew out the D2000 that I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back