Headphones for post-rock?
Apr 11, 2006 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

breadcrumbs

Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade from my Grado SR-60s, because although I've enjoyed them immensely, they're starting to look worse for the wear, and I'm ready to move up the headphone ladder for my next purchase. I'd be real grateful about any advice you experts could offer me.

My favourite musical genre is post-rock, a type of music that relies on getting very quiet and then getting very loud, so I'm thinking some headphones with dynamics and detail that could accentuate this? I really don't know where to start. No vocals, the type of music is almost classical in structure, but with rock instrumentation. I'll be running it from FLAC EAC'd through a Squeezebox 3. No amp yet, but I plan to get one after I've researched one that synergises with the headphone that I've bought.

I don't mind about open or closed or supraaural or circumaural, just no IEMs, and comfort is king. Budget is $350. :)

Ta very muchly.

Apr 11, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 17
I always describe post-rock as "classical music using rock instruments". I like my A700s for it just because they are so comfortable and mellow. To me post-rock is something to just mellow out to, and a laid back comfy pair of cans is in order.

P.S. Just out of curiosity, but what bands do you like?

Apr 11, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 17
65daysofstatic
A Silver Mt. Zion
Bathyscaphe
Detwiije
Efterklang
El Ten Eleven
The Evpatoria Report
Explosions in the Sky
Foxhole
Friends of Dean Martinez
God is an Astronaut
Library Tapes
The Mercury Program
Mono
Neil on Impression
People for Audio
Port-Royale
Season
Slint
Surface of Eceon
The Timeout Drawer
Tortoise
Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson
Yndi Halda

And just today I picked up upcdowncleftcrightcABC+start's And The Battle Is Won. =) What about you?

Thanks for the headphone rec by the way. They look nice, but I can't say much about them yet. :p Once I've collected a few names from you pros, I'll go do my research. <3

Much love,

breadcrumbs

Apr 11, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 17
If you like your SR60s, then you should definitely check out the higher-end Grados/Alessandro headphones, for example, the Grado SR225, SR325i, or the MS2i. If you don't have comfort issues with the SR60s, then you shouldn't have any with any of the headphones I mentioned.

Apr 11, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 17
Although they're border-line post-rock, I highly suggest listening to Sigur Ros.
icon10.gif

Apr 12, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 17
i kinda like my hd-580's for post-rock, helps mellow out the mood.

also, if sigur ros isn't post rock, i don't know what is.

Apr 12, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #10 of 17
I love post rock through my DT-880s but you'd need an amp.

I am assuming that godspeed you black emperor was an ommission from your list given you know a silver mt zion. But if not, DUDE get it all IMMEDIATELY, you ain't heard nothing yet.

Also I think Do Make Say Think is the best of the post-godspeed outfits. Also if you like Explosions in the Sky and Neil on Impression you should check out Giardini Di Miro and Maserati.

Apr 12, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 17
I really like the look of the Beyer DT-880s, they look like just what I'm looking for, and it seems that I'd be able to get them cheaper over here in Europe. I know you're doing all my work for me at the moment, but 250 Ohms is a pretty hefty impedance. What amp do you use for the 880s? Any suggestions?

I doubt I'd be able to find the A700s, and I don't know if I'd like Sennheisers for this kind of music. My experience with them has left me feeling a little underwhelmed; I think they're a bit tame for this kind of music personally.

Much as I love my Grados, and as shiny and appealing as MS-2is are :p, I'd like a move away from Grados. There are slight comfort problems (nothing that would want to make me stop wearing them), and I'd love to try something new in the headphone world.

As for the bands: Godspeed You! was an omission that I can't believe I've missed, and I do enjoy them immensely. I have Winter Hymn, Country Hymn by Do Say Make Think, but it's not something I listen to as often as I should, in fact, I'd all but forgotten about it. I don't like Sigur Ros: sorry. :/ And also I've heard of Maserati, but I haven't ever listened, and I've never heard of Giardini Di Miro - I'll be sure to seek out both of those.

Thanking yous for all the feedback,

breadcrumbs

Apr 12, 2006 at 11:20 AM Post #12 of 17
Try Sigur Ros's new album Takk - it's a big leap from their earlier stuff (and sounds great on my Grados, in fact it's a real headphone album). Also, where's Mogwai on that list of yours?

Nov 16, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #13 of 17
Bump. I have a similar question and thought I'd just re-use the thread.

I listen to post-rock but also metal/hardcore/indie. I have the K701 and Beyer 250-80. Not a fan of Grados mostly for comfort reasons; I used to have the SR 80s. Using a Gilmore Lite and am thinking about getting a DarkVoice 336i.

Never tried Sennheiser so not sure of what to expect. Would the HD 580 or HD 595 offer something that I'm missing with the K701? I'd like to keep the price to $200-ish.

Nov 16, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 17
Nov 16, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #15 of 17
For lighter Post-Rock, I like K501s for their awesome soundstaging and instrument separation. But for most Post-Rock, I tend to stick to my SR225s.

I guess I'll namedrop some bands as well:

Turing Machine
The Six Parts Seven
Bark Psychosis (the term "post-rock" was coined to describe the music of this band)
Talk Talk
Labradford
The Durutti Column
The Sea and Cake
Cul de Sac
Flying Saucer Attack
Gastr del Sol
Füxa
Pelican
Red Sparrowes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back