Headphones for portable gaming
Mar 7, 2009 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Smirk

Head-Fier
Hi guys. I'm becoming desperate in my quest to find the most suitable cans for my PSP and NDS and ocasionally some laptop and DVD-Player usage. I'm willing to spend around 150-200$, maybe a bit more if it'll be totally worth it. I'm quite a novice at that impedance and sensitivity stuff so I don't really know what PSP and NDS are capable of in terms of maxing the **** out of headphones. I don't want to overpay for what I'll never hear and at the same time don't need crap cans.

I've been digging some info on Ultrasone recently and their new innovative technologies. And that Ultra Low Emission thing got me quite interested cause I'm quite wary about my ears and don't want a hearing loss to develop. Is this and S-Logic Surround actually true or it's a cheap piar?

I've also been looking into Grado Prestige Series but they seem to be notorious for their awkwardness and comfort is one of the most important factors for me.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any help and tips guys. And yeah, full-size only, doesn't matter open or closed and those will be mainly for home usage so cans portability is not needed at all.

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 15
Auhh, comon guys. It's like a phones guru lounge out here. I've been searching for like 2 weeks now. There's such a huge variety of cans I don't know where to look first.

Ouh, crap. Look what you've done...you made me double-post. I'm barely here and already've broken a rule. Can a guy get some attention?

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 15
Yes you may.

I think for NDS and PSP there's no point spending too much to get top quality headphones since the environment you'd be using them in and the quality of the output itself probably means you won't get the most out of them.

Ultrasone's 'low emissions' thing is just a marketing gimmick. It has absolutely nothing to do with hearing loss. The only way to prevent hearing loss is not listen too loud. As for S-Logic surround, there are mixed opinions on this.

For solely portable gaming, I'd recommending something decent and cheap. Maybe like the AD500?

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 15
Cheers for the answer. Those look good. As I mentioned I'm going to use them for my laptop and dvd from time to time. Since i've got a spair bucks now maybe something more expensive would be appropriate? Or AD500 is the max those portables can pull out?

I wouldn't mind using an amp (that FiiO E5 looks cool) but frankly it'd be quite a bother.

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 15
Ah, I somehow managed to skip over the bit about DVD watching.

Well then maybe go for the AD700's. They have an incredibly large soundstage which is amazing for movies and are VERY hard to beat for the price. Plus they don't need an amp at all, although they will improve with one.

I think you would benefit more from an external USB DAC than an amp. Not sure about what you'd need there, maybe check out the computer as source forum.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 15
Yeah AD700 is highly recommended here on head-fi... my friend is gonna get one as well, i hope to grab it and have a listen to it my self to see what whats.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 15
I'm having some problems with Audio Technica availability in my area. All other brands are quite normally spread around here.

I'd appreciate Bose, Beyerdynamic, Grado, Sennheiser advices.
Sennheiser HD 595 looks good by the way.

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 15
Ok. After all those hardships - Audio Technica ATH-AD900 won at yahoo japan auction and waiting to be shipped.
Was choosing between them and AD1000, and decided to go with AD900, being more like jack-of-all-trades is exactly what I need and quite a solid reputation here at head-fi and quite scarce reviews and info about AD1000.

Thx every1 for your tips. However I won't be able to tell much about them cause they're basically my first cans and I have nothing to compare them with.

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #11 of 15
Personally, I don't think the DS has very good sound quality. But the PSP isn't too bad and in games like Patapon, you really need to have headphones.

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #12 of 15
I actually used 595s with a PSP. Excellent game sound. Fun sounding w/ Tekken.

Mar 9, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #13 of 15
I use the HD 280 Pros for gaming with competitive CS 1.6. But I'm not too sure what types of games you are into.

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #14 of 15
x2 for the AT AD700 recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back