headphones for poor newbie
Oct 8, 2009 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

utkusu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I need some advice on which headphones to get. Almost 30, I am just starting understand the beauty of good quality of audio. I am not very knowledgeable or rich, so I just wanna upgrade from regular consumer crap to cheap decent audio.

I accidentally bought 40$ edifier speakers (m3300) for my desktop. Quite cheap right? But after my purchase, I read some reviews, they turn out to be great speakers for the cheap end. And they are such an improvement over the desktop/laptop speakers or cheap headphones. Now I am trying to get that quality on the go for my mp3 player.

For my mp3 player/ I bought Creative Ep-630s. It was a disappointment: (1) It turns out I don't like in-ear buds. (2) more importantly the sound is too dull and there is too much bass for my taste. Being completely ignorant about audio and almost completely tune deaf, I can't describe how the sound is different on my speakers and EP-630 other than what I wrote above. The sound on speakers are so much clean, I can hear everything. On ep630, I can hear everything too but it is just not the same, it does not feel natural and real as the speakers. Maybe it is the bass. I am sorry for inability of describing, but it is just like describing pain to someone else and I don't know the language you guys talk.

Would you mind giving advice for relatively cheap headphones which would give cleaner sound without crazy bass, as if I am listening to my decent quality (cheap) speakers.

(I have Koss KSC75 in my mind)

(I am listening to FLACs on both my integrated sound card pc and sansa fuze, so the difference must be the speakers/headphones. )

thanks a lot and forgive me if I did not make much sense.

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 17
The Ep630 are not exactly highly praised around here, so you are probably right to be dissapointed with them. The KSC75's are a great choice and certainly within any budget. However, if you're looking to spend a little more the Yuin G2A's are solid value for money and provide incredibly balanced sound with good clarity, and detail across the range.

However, if you state your max budget as well as how you intend to use them/what you would like (portability, isolation, clip-on vs over-the-head etc) other suggestions could probably be provided. You can read the review in my sig for a comparison of the KSC75's vs. a few other budget phones.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 17
I think that a modded KSC-75 is a really good headphone for the money, especially if you haven't heard any high-end headphones or high-end gear.

I think mine ended up costing me about 20 USD (with a headband).

I'd say go for it.

-Nylan

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 17
Thanks for you replies. I decided to set my budget around 60-70 CAD. KSC-75 is 17+tax+shipping and so well in my budget. But I can afford a bit more if it is worth it. I seriously have no idea about on-ear, clip-on or over the head headphones. I only regular earbuds and ep-630s. Even though Ep-630 isolates noise well, I really hate the pressure that it puts on my eardrums, that can't be good in the long-run for my hearing.

I am not a big commuter, so I don't need crazy noise isolation, although some won't be too bad. I am gonna mostly listen music (literally all sorts of it) in an office setting while crunching numbers for my research. and the occasional walk or work out. I don't think I can use thick over the head headphones either. I usually wear a funny winter head.

I am in Canada, I googled Yuin and there seems to be no place that actually sells it. But I have encountered some good reviews. It seem like worth giving a shot. Or maybe it might be my next step after ksc75. If anyone knows a reputable seller which ships to Canada at a reasonable cost, please let me know!

I really have no idea where to get a modded ksc-75 or what kinda modding you are talking about. Would you mind telling me a bit more about that or referring me to a link?

thanks a lot again guys.

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by utkusu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for you replies. I decided to set my budget around 60-70 CAD. KSC-75 is 17+tax+shipping and so well in my budget. But I can afford a bit more if it is worth it. I seriously have no idea about on-ear, clip-on or over the head headphones. I only regular earbuds and ep-630s. Even though Ep-630 isolates noise well, I really hate the pressure that it puts on my eardrums, that can't be good in the long-run for my hearing.

I am not a big commuter, so I don't need crazy noise isolation, although some won't be too bad. I am gonna mostly listen music (literally all sorts of it) in an office setting while crunching numbers for my research. and the occasional walk or work out. I don't think I can use thick over the head headphones either. I usually wear a funny winter head.

I am in Canada, I googled Yuin and there seems to be no place that actually sells it. But I have encountered some good reviews. It seem like worth giving a shot. Or maybe it might be my next step after ksc75. If anyone knows a reputable seller which ships to Canada at a reasonable cost, please let me know!

I really have no idea where to get a modded ksc-75 or what kinda modding you are talking about. Would you mind telling me a bit more about that or referring me to a link?

thanks a lot again guys.

I think Head-Direct, the only authorized Yuin dealer AFAIK, will ship to canada (and anywhere in the world, for that matter). If you intend to use your phones in an office setting, the Yuins may actually work better than the Koss's because they leak less sound out into the surroundings. Isolation is pretty minimal with both - you really have to go closed for that. I do think clip-ons are a way to go if you intend to wear a hat and be comfortable. Also, if you find conventional (non in-ear) earbuds comfortable, the Yuin PK3 might be an option. For me they are somewhere between the KSC75 and G2A sound quality-wise.

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 17
Thanks a lot for your help. I decided to go with the KSC-75. It seems like yuins are quite better than ksc75 but I want to get something cheaper. Maybe I will upgrade to G2A later if I get used to clip-ons.

cheers,

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 17
Aren't they basically same thing with ksc-75? I just did not want a big thing over my head, because born in Turkey, I have to wear a winter hat in Canada 6 months a year
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks for the suggestion though.

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Aren't they basically same thing with ksc-75? I just did not want a big thing over my head, because born in Turkey, I have to wear a winter hat in Canada 6 months a year
smily_headphones1.gif
thanks for the suggestion though.

No, the PortaPros use the same drivers as the KSC35, not the KSC75. They sound quite different, as outlined in my review. And yeah, they probably wont work with a hat.

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #12 of 17
I have already ordered them. Thanks a lot though. you guys all have been very helpful for my relatively tiny purchase. See you in my next purchase. (If I wish I could hang around help others, but I seriously have no idea about audio equipment)

Oct 10, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

I have already ordered them. Thanks a lot though. you guys all have been very helpful for my relatively tiny purchase. See you in my next purchase. (If I wish I could hang around help others, but I seriously have no idea about audio equipment)

The KSC-75's should give you an idea of what decent headphones sound like. If you end up not liking them, it at least gives us a starting point toward something else.

-Nylan

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 17
For decent cheap IEM, I'd recommend the JVC HA-FXC50 series. I have them and the bass out of these IEM's just amaze me with its clarity.

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 17
I have just received my KSC-75s and I must say they are a huge improvement over the EP-630. Decent headphones sound great! I would like to thank you all again for helping me out. Heck, maybe I will get those Yuins for my birthday.

cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back