Headphones for plane travel?
Aug 11, 2008 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Adeptus

New Head-Fier
We're going overseas later in the year. 20-something hour flight each way.
eek.gif

Soo... I'm looking for some suggestions for headphones that have decent noise reduction/isolation. I've mostly ruled out the active noise-cancelling type, as it sounds like they're not that great at either noise reduction or sound quality. That leaves me with IEMs or closed (probably circumaural) cans.
  1. For myself, I want something fairly balanced, with decent but not overpowering bass.
  2. For my wife, something with strong midrange.
  3. For my 7 year old daughter, something cheap but still decent... best I've seen is UltimateEars LoudEnough, but some non-IEM suggestions would be good too.
  4. For all of us, good isolation, and a budget of around $100 each. Needs to be able to handle the level output from the plane's headphone socket. Portability would be good.
Some that I've seen recommended are:
IEMs:
Westone UM1
UE SuperFi 3
Shure SCL2 / SCL3 / SE110 / SE210

Closed 'phones:
Extreme Isolation EX-25 / EX-29
Koss QZ-99
Milian Soundstage ST
Audio Technica ATH SQ5
AKG K414P

Recommendations on any of these, or other suggestions, please!

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #2 of 15
As far as circumaural headphones go, I find they will block out the mid + treble but let the bass from the engine through. For this reason I would think about bassier phones of this type or IEMs, unless you want to hear more of the plan than your music.

Also, I noticed when I plugged my Sennheiser HD25's into a plane headphone socket, there was some really terrible noise making its way in, mostly because I think the HD25's are super sensitive. If you are using sensitive headphones you might want to considering bringing a headphone amp or something else that has a volume control with you.

I've flown with both Sennheiser HD25's (which are way out of the budget you've suggested) and AKG K81DJ/K581DJs. Both do a good job at isolation but the way they sit on your head might not be the best for a long flight. I would suggest the K81DJ/K581DJ's if one of your family members wanted a set of not-too bad sounding (although quite bassy) headphones for afterwards too.

But yeah, IEMs might sort you out for this exercise... some other head-fi-ers will surely be able to help you in that department
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 15
The Shure Line, particularly the se210, se310, se420, se530 provide excellent sound and excellent sound isolation...

I have used the se310 on many flights cross country

Aug 11, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for the input
smily_headphones1.gif

More opinions welcome!
Quote:

Originally Posted by psyllium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as circumaural headphones go, I find they will block out the mid + treble but let the bass from the engine through. For this reason I would think about bassier phones of this type or IEMs, unless you want to hear more of the plan than your music.

A couple of the ones I listed (Milian & Extreme Isolation) were designed for use by musicians, particularly drummers, and for mixing in the same room as live drums. I would have thought blocking out bass was an important part of that... Has anyone had experience with these specific models?

Quote:

Originally Posted by psyllium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've flown with both Sennheiser HD25's (which are way out of the budget you've suggested) and AKG K81DJ/K581DJs. Both do a good job at isolation but the way they sit on your head might not be the best for a long flight. I would suggest the K81DJ/K581DJ's if one of your family members wanted a set of not-too bad sounding (although quite bassy) headphones for afterwards too.

How do the K81DJ compare to the K414P? The 414 fold away nicely, which would be a plus if they're otherwise similar.

Aug 12, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 15
For your daughter there are special iem headphones for children, various manufacturers.

For you and your wife isolation provided from headphones such as shure and alike wont completely drown out aircraft noise.

imo ur looking for a headphone with max isolation which doesnt give you a headache because of the extreme highs over a long period.

stay away from Shure for the headache part..

Aug 12, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adeptus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input
smily_headphones1.gif

More opinions welcome!

A couple of the ones I listed (Milian & Extreme Isolation) were designed for use by musicians, particularly drummers, and for mixing in the same room as live drums. I would have thought blocking out bass was an important part of that... Has anyone had experience with these specific models?

How do the K81DJ compare to the K414P? The 414 fold away nicely, which would be a plus if they're otherwise similar.

The K81DJ do fold away flat like other AKG's. I haven't heard/seen the K414P before, but yeah see the other posts above.

Can't help you re: the other phones sorry!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #9 of 15
Sony MDR-NC6, can style, has airline adaptor included. Noise canceling and also be used as a normal headphone, when nc is off.

Aug 12, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
make sure your wife and daughter are willing to wear iems
most people don't like the feeling of em

Yeah, especially kids. Even the smallest size sleeve may be too big for younger ears. The circumaural options may be a better choice.

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 15
I'd suggest adding the Senn HD280 to your list of closed cans to consider. Easily powered, good sound and good isolation. They also fold up, making them a bit easier to stick in your carry-on.

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #15 of 15
I agree-closed or circumaural type headphones are perfect for airplane travel-in fact I've got a NC headphone which are over the ear in style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back