Headphones for movies/television/gaming
May 9, 2010 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

cheesetogo

Head-Fier
Before I start, I'd say that I do know that there is a similar post on the front page right now. However, the OP of that thread was looking to use their headphones unamped, whereas I do not. Most likely, I will be using the Audio-GD Sparrow amp (although if anyone has any comments on how it would perform for my uses, I'd be glad to hear them).

Right now, I just use my HD555s and onboard sound from my computer.

I don't really have a very close budget, but I'd like to spend somewhere between $200 and $400. Most of my usage will be for movies and television, along with some gaming. I should point out that I don't really care a whole lot about being able to pinpoint other players in an FPS match; I just want something that's going to sound good.

I also listen to music occasionally, although my tastes vary pretty widely; classical, jazz, pop, trance. However, music listening probably makes up less than 10% of my overall usage at the moment (although maybe that will change if I'm blown away :D).

I've mostly just been looking at the HD650s and the Denon D2000s, although I'm completely open for suggestions. I try to search around as much as I can on these forums, but it seems that almost all discussions are based around music, with relatively few having any mentions of movie watching at all.

I'll look forward to replies to this thread. Thanks for reading.

May 9, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 18
DT880

May 9, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 18
DT 880 or Ultrasone 900 Pro are both nice and easy bets. 650 is a no go. Denon 5000 is a better idea than the 2000.

Stax are the best but out of your price range atm? Depends if you can catch a used pair?

May 9, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #5 of 18
Would either of you guys mind elaborating a little bit? What makes the DT880 a good choice for movies, and why is the HD650 a no go?

As far as the D5000, it doesn't really seem like it's worth it over the D2000 from what I've read. $200 seems like a lot for what amounts to an upgraded cable and wood cups. I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has heard both though.

May 10, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 18
the HD-555's are ok.

if you're spending at most $400, get a pair of HD-600's and a $200 DAC.

HD650's are nice but for the price premium I don't think they're worth it unless you have the equipment to back it up (i.e. more expensive DACs and tube amps)

May 10, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 18
I suppose I should clarify that part -- my budget is for headphones only; I already have purchased a DAC/Amp. I ordered the Audio GD Sparrow, which is basically just a smaller/less customizable version of the FUN (there's a pretty big thread on it in the amps forum right now).

May 10, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 18
If you don't mind going with another Sennheiser headphone I'd suggest getting the HD-600. There is a HUGE difference between the HD-600 and 555.  For me the HD-600 does everything right and it won't drive you crazy with excessive details and annoying highs that give me a headache. The HD-600's are especially good for very extended listening and the comfort is perfect if you don't have the clamping effect. They will just not fatigue your ears like with other headphones. If you want a ton of detail, the DT-880 (250ohm+) is the way to go. I just find it annoying with most of my music. It's all there with the HD-600, just not as forward. The AKG 701/702 to my ears had a tad less detail then the DT-880, but to me that's a plus.

I've been through a ton of headphones and to me, the HD-600 is my preferred sound and favorite right now. You may find it interesting that I hated the HD-650, but love the HD-600. I saw the frequency charts and saw that the HD-600 had slightly more extended high frequencies (over the HD-650) and less bass. For me that was perfect. To me it's the most natural sounding headphone there is. Even more so then the AKG 702/701 which would be my #2 suggestion.

I'll be honest and say I don't watch a lot of movies with headphones or play games with them, so this may be a worthless post.

May 10, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 18
The 600s are great headphones for music. I loved them. However, if you are also doing a lot of tv/movie/gaming, you will need more "air" in the soundstage. The DT880s are the kind of headphones you want. Max comfort, soundstage, detail. For a dynamic headphone in your price range, it is a tough one to beat. Especially in the comfort area. Those Beyer pads are COMFY.

May 10, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 18
Alright, The Sony MDR-F1 headphones are superior to the HD650's for gaming, movies, and general all around computer/ TV use (I own both)  The HD650's although more detailed, have a weird soundstage, the MDR-F1's have an EXCELLENT soundstage, with equally good directionality. They have bass (IMO) on par with the HD650's, and great clarity, and excellent all around set of cans. I leave mine plugged into my computer whenever I'm not using my speakers. And they are tough as nails due to the fact they are nearly completely magnesium, the HD650's love them as I do, feel like a toy compared to the F1's
And you can pick up a pair of F1's for $100 used, or $300 new (worth it) There is a reason I owned 3 of em. (I recently sold a pair)

May 10, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #15 of 18
If the Sparrow is just a FUN with less features it won't be able to drive the 650s/600s/DT880s to their full potential

Users who are viewing this thread

Back