Headphones for movie watching
May 18, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #17 of 21
I'm not so much looking for headphones specifically for myself (which is why I didn't include a budget), but more to start a discussion on what characteristics a good movie headphone should have. I completely agree that there is no headphone solution yet conceived that matches a decent surround speaker set-up, but I'd like to limit the topic only to what makes a good movie headphone.

I have considered the HD555's, since their comfort level is supposed to be very high. I likely will be using my Tivoli PAL's headphone output as a headphone amp from my Sony 500v DVD player. But, I MIGHT buy a CMOY amp off of Ebay to smooth out the sound.

May 18, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by brianknewbie
SA-5000

extremely lightweight & comfortable, very detailed

But isn't a closed headphone essential? If you're watching a movie in bed, you're likely to get kicked, punched, etc. with an open phone!

The problem with closed headphones, however, is that I haven't found one that I can wear for two hours straight. The CD3000 seems to meet most of the criteria, but it just gets too hot after a while.

May 18, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild
Dolby Headphone makes movies with headphones significantly more comfortable in my opinion. It gets the actors out of your cranium (damn voices in my head!! shut up!). The biggest problem I have is that I sometimes forget that I'm wearing the headphones as I get up to go to the kitchen....
wink.gif

Yes, I agree Dolby headphone is very nice and perhaps an avenue I should have persued further. At the time I was frustrated by lack of standalone processor options, none of which provided a 2ch SPDIF or line-level analog signal (for hooking up a hifi headphone amp and/or DAC). I don't know if there are any solutions today that provide this.

I did audition DH out of WinDVD and liked the effect, but I don't want an HTPC in my main HT
tongue.gif

May 18, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Yes, I agree Dolby headphone is very nice and perhaps an avenue I should have persued further. At the time I was frustrated by lack of standalone processor options, none of which provided a 2ch SPDIF or line-level analog signal (for hooking up a hifi headphone amp and/or DAC). I don't know if there are any solutions today that provide this.

I did audition DH out of WinDVD and liked the effect, but I don't want an HTPC in my main HT
tongue.gif

I was frustrated by this as well (and though I do have an htpc, I wanted DH for console games too). The options are very limited. I ended up getting a receiver with DH, then some speakers, the my wallet tried to get up and walk out...
eggosmile.gif

There are some other threads on here that discuss the options, as well as on avsforum.

May 18, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
But isn't a closed headphone essential? If you're watching a movie in bed, you're likely to get kicked, punched, etc. with an open phone!

The problem with closed headphones, however, is that I haven't found one that I can wear for two hours straight. The CD3000 seems to meet most of the criteria, but it just gets too hot after a while.

Seconded. I remember the time when it would be recommended for films. Not to mention your exacting matching description. If you can still get a pair, id go for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back