Headphones for metal/rock/acoustic?
Jan 19, 2010 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ok1907

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, There should be lots of threads like this but I couldn't find one that answers my question adequately. So, I wanna get some full sizes to listen to mostly metal,rock,acoustic,blues,country,raggea,jazz,clas sic etc. I currently have Sennheiser IE8 and Yuin G2A. IE8's are great for listening to pop,hiphop,r&b,classical,jazz etc I mean simply anything but I know that Grado headphones are highly appreciated for metal listening and I was wondering if they can excel IE8's without spending too much. I have actually no information about full size headphones therefore I would love to learn if there is any other brand better than grado for especially metal. My budget is not that high because I prefer upgrading after using them for a while and in the event of IE8's being better than them
o2smile.gif
Thanks in advance.

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 11
Grado is the best IMO....

The price-performance ratio is great.

The SR80i. Or if it's for more genres, the MS1.

EDIT: the AD700 is great for [mellow] acoustic.

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 11
Grados ....are okay for rock and metal.

You'd do finer with a pair of Sennheiser HD25Mark IIs if you can squeeze the extra $10 for it. The Grados are bright and ear piercing at higher volumes: they have a shrillness in the upper frequencies which makes them sound painfully bright if you turn the volume up.

Coupled with the open design, you will always be listening to music on Grados at higher volumes than with a closed platform like the HD25 Mark IIs with its superb isolation: this combination enables you to enjoy your music in peace, and listen at lower volumes without getting fatigue.

But the Grados are more comfy on the head. So comfy they can fall off easily! Not so with HD25 Mark IIs....choices choices.

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the replies. Actaully I know HD25 II's are good but I also have a sennheiser that reflects the sennheiser sound therefore I would love to try sth else. Also, Can anyone compare HD25 II's and IE8's? I can't handle ie8 being better with same sound signature
biggrin.gif
I hope you understand what I mean.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados ....are okay for rock and metal.

You'd do finer with a pair of Sennheiser HD25Mark IIs if you can squeeze the extra $10 for it. The Grados are bright and ear piercing at higher volumes: they have a shrillness in the upper frequencies which makes them sound painfully bright if you turn the volume up.

Coupled with the open design, you will always be listening to music on Grados at higher volumes than with a closed platform like the HD25 Mark IIs with its superb isolation: this combination enables you to enjoy your music in peace, and listen at lower volumes without getting fatigue.

But the Grados are more comfy on the head. So comfy they can fall off easily! Not so with HD25 Mark IIs....choices choices.

Grados are home headphones. That's bad if you bump the volume just because of background noise. And Grados are somewhat stable; then again, they are home headphones.

And the Grados are bright. So what? You can pay $69 for a headphone MSRP. Obviously the Grado is going to have brighter highs than more than a used headphone 2x the price of the Grado headphone.

A lot better buy than the HD 25. In fact, the SR225 decimates them IMO.

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 11
I own ATH-AD700, ALO-780 and had Grado SR-225. Personally I think the Grado's were awesome for metal but they lacked bass and punch, hence I got the Ultrasone's. IMO they sound better but they are a lot more expensive too. The AD700 are a poor choice for metal but are really nice with acoustic stuff. I say get the Alessandro MS1 or a used SR-225.

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ok1907 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IE8's are great for listening to pop,hiphop,r&b,classical,jazz etc I mean simply anything but I know that Grado headphones are highly appreciated for metal listening and I was wondering if they can excel IE8's without spending too much.

If you have a limited budget Grado SR60 is one option to consider.
If you have saved budget Grado SR225 is one way to think.
If you are already rich Grado RS1 is at stake maybe.

Be a simple headfier. Be a Grado lover.-Valiente

Jan 21, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a limited budget Grado SR60 is one option to consider.
If you have saved budget Grado SR225 is one way to think.
If you are already rich Grado RS1 is at stake maybe.

Be a simple headfier. Be a Grado lover.-Valiente

lol...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back