Headphones for Metal/Rock - $150-200
Jan 24, 2012 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

DaemonSire

500+ Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,
I've been reading on the forums for awhile now on the best headphones to get for Metal/Rock music.  I've done lots of searching and the majority of the threads are a few years old and newer headphones have arrived on the market since then.  Also, it seemed like a lot of the recommendations were for the Grado SR225i.

Currently, I have the Grado SR80's and I do like them, but I find they get uncomfortable for my ears after extended use.  As it looks like the SR225's are the same design, I would expect the same problems with them.

These headphones will be for home use, so portability isn't an issue.  They can be open/closed as I'm not concerned with sound leakage either.  Although, I would like them to be comfortable.  As I mentioned above, they will be used for mainly Metal/Rock music.  My sources will be my PC sound card and the Sansa Fuze+, both running through a PA2V2 amp.  My budget is in the 150-200 range, but can be extended some if it warrants it.

There isn't a lot of selection in my area so unfortunately, going to a store and trying headphones out isn't an option for me.

Based on my searching, I've landed on the following so far (and here are the prices I can currently get them for locally)

Sennheiser HD558 (currently on sale until Thursday for $139.99)

Beyer Dynamic DT990PRO - Open Studio Headphones 250 Ohms ($180)

Sennheiser HD25-1 II ($250)

If anyone has any other suggestions for headphones, please let me know.  Thanks for the help!

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 41
All three headphones that you mention here have a somewhat recessed midrange, which might not be the best sound signature for rock/metal. Ideally, I think, cans for rock need to excell at midrange (since this is where the guitars and vocals reside), can be slightly mid-bass colored (bass guitar is mid-bass), have good bass extension (kick drums need to be felt), while the high frequencies might need to be recessed a little bit to avoid sounding overly harsh.

With all this in mind, some good options are:
Goldring DR-150 (excellent sound signature for rock, although bass extension is a slight issue)
Sony MDR-ZX700 (mid-happy sound, quite flat otherwise, closed)
Koss PRO DJ 100 (cheap, mid-based sound, quite flat otherwise but a bit bass-shy, closed)
KRK KNS 8400 (studio monitor, very flat, physical, somewhat aggressive sound, closed, comfortable)
Ultrasone HFi 780 (aggressive sounding, somewhat artificial soundstage, great bass and mids, harsh highs, closed)

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 41
I would also add the srh840. But if you can increase your budget, the SR325is is one of the best for your music genre.

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #4 of 41

Quote:
I would also add the srh840. But if you can increase your budget, the SR325is is one of the best for your music genre.

+1 for the sr325is

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 41

Quote:
The OP already found the SR80 uncomfortable, the heavier SR325 will likely be unwearable for him.

The SR80 hasn't the same pads than the SR325. S for the 60/80..., L for the 225/325...

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #8 of 41
The comfort might be an issue for some, but no cans can do rock/metal like Grados. I love my Sr325is. With a little bit of tweaking (especially with the headband), they can be pretty comfortable. For your budget SR225i will be a great choice.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 41
+1 for the 325's (sound wise), although they are the most uncomfortable things I have ever worn on my head (stock pads).

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 41
Thanks for the replies everyone.

How are the pads, S and L, different between the SR60/80 and the 225/325?  Judging strictly by the pictures, they look the same to me.

What I find uncomfortable about the Grado's is they way they press against my ears...specifically a part of my ear cartilage is touching the 'unpadded' part of the headphones which becomes sore after awhile.

If there are different pads that I can get that would make them more comfortable, I'd be up for that too.

Also, I've been looking into the differences between the 225 and the 325, is it worth the $100 price jump?  Basically, I'm seeing the 225 for $200 and the 325 for $295.  And I've actually been reading about people preferring the 225 over the 325.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 41

Quote:
Judging strictly by the pictures, they look the same to me.

No, the L are bigger and more comfy but that don't really transforms the sr325is in a comfortable headphone,lol.

Quote:
What I find uncomfortable about the Grado's is they way they press against my ears...specifically a part of my ear cartilage is touching the 'unpadded' part of the headphones which becomes sore after awhile.

L are better for that, but it does not fix completely the problem.

Quote:
Also, I've been looking into the differences between the 225 and the 325, is it worth the $100 price jump?  Basically, I'm seeing the 225 for $200 and the 325 for $295.  And I've actually been reading about people preferring the 225 over the 325.

I don't know, i never had the sr225, but i read more pleased peoples with the sr325 than the sr225 imo.

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #12 of 41
There will be many people who will disagree with this, but there is basically nearly no difference between the 225 and the 325. A lot of it is placebo, their sound signature and general technical capabilities are pretty much identical. 

Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

How are the pads, S and L, different between the SR60/80 and the 225/325?  Judging strictly by the pictures, they look the same to me.

If there are different pads that I can get that would make them more comfortable, I'd be up for that too.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #14 of 41

Quote:
There will be many people who will disagree with this, but there is basically nearly no difference between the 225 and the 325. A lot of it is placebo, their sound signature and general technical capabilities are pretty much identical. 

Identical..probably, but not the same. Its a matter of preference some people like more the 225's over the 325's and vice versa. 

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #15 of 41
I think I've heard more people that claim the 325's are near identical or slightly-to-annoyingly higher than the 225's than I have say they're better. The graphs I saw on headroom showed there was more spike in the higher frequencies than other Grados.

The 225's are better sounding, IMO. I've had limited experience with both, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back