Headphones for Metal/Rock - $150-200
Jan 25, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #31 of 41
Thanks for all the input.

Despite the many recommendations for the Grado's, I think I'm still leaning away from them...I still see many reports of them being uncomfortable.  And I think I want to try another headphone other than Grado as my first step into this world was with the SR80s.  Who knows, I may end up getting them at some point later...

I think I'm going back towards what Negakinu was recommending and looking at the HD25-1 II.

How would they compare against the following other models:

I can get the HD25-1 II for $200 now

KRK KNS-8400 for $150

AKG K272HD for $231

Thanks again

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #32 of 41

Quote:
I think I'm going back towards what Negakinu was recommending and looking at the HD25-1 II.

How would they compare against the following other models:

I can get the HD25-1 II for $200 now

KRK KNS-8400 for $150

AKG K272HD for $231

I don't have the KNS8400 but from reviews its a balanced headphone, the K272HD require an amp to really shine and its a more laid back headphone in comparison to the HD25. The HD25 is a fun headphone, aggressive and forward sound, but i never found them very comfortable on th long period.

231$ its expensive for the K272HD imo, when you think that you can have nowadays at 100-110€ in Europe.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #33 of 41
Before making any purchasing decisions I would suggest trying to find a local store that sells grado's, this page on their site will tell you where:

http://www.gradolabs.com/page_dealers.php

And Grados definitely won't be the only brand of headphones they have in your price range.  I spent a good 3 months reading reviews, forums all day long looking for the perfect headphone to suit my needs, which isn't a bad thing.. but at the end of the day your personal preference can be different than all 1000 reviews or posts you've read. It's great to really experience it for yourself before making a decision that you may later regret.  Just my $.02

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #36 of 41
+1 on the non comfort of the 225i.  I purchased a pair a couple of weeks ago from amazon and even though I loved the sound (especially with rock) I could only wear them for an hour at the max.  I tried to break them in over the next couple of weeks but to no avail.  I sent them back to amazon the other day.  I just can't justify spending $200 on a pair of headphones where I focused more on the pain then on the sound.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #37 of 41

Quote:
+1 on the non comfort of the 225i.  I purchased a pair a couple of weeks ago from amazon and even though I loved the sound (especially with rock) I could only wear them for an hour at the max.  I tried to break them in over the next couple of weeks but to no avail.  I sent them back to amazon the other day.  I just can't justify spending $200 on a pair of headphones where I focused more on the pain then on the sound.

+1 on non comfort and brightness of Grado headphones. I really wanted to love the 325s, but just couldn't . Since the ergonomics of the Grado phones are essentially the same, it makes no sense to try out other models. They do have a great mid-range for rock. I do not understand why the company persists in sticking with such an uncomfortable basic design. Doesn't it see the innovations from all other manufactures?

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #38 of 41
It is a pity since more comfortable grados would be so appealing. Heavy cable on the grado is the first thing that I am going to change, I just can not even imagine to wear the grados with cable hanging (horizontally) in the air, so much pain. Al in all, grado sr325 is not allrounder but with some of the rock, acoustics , live and even some jazz  in my collection it is unreplaceable.

Think that @Gwarmi said that sr325s are like madman swinging on chandalires and I agree completely. Retro madness :)
eQuote:
+1 on non comfort and brightness of Grado headphones. I really wanted to love the 325s, but just couldn't . Since the ergonomics of the Grado phones are essentially the same, it makes no sense to try out other models. They do have a great mid-range for rock. I do not understand why the company persists in sticking with such an uncomfortable basic design. Doesn't it see the innovations from all other manufactures?

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #39 of 41
Ugh, nile. My friend drives me up a wall with that damn band. I'm more into Chelsea Grin, Crimson Armada, Vildhjarta, Periphery, Whisteria Cottage, Killswitch, Molotov Solution, etc. I have some Vmoda M80s, and I absolutely love them for nearly every genre I listen to. Bass output from them really depends on your source device, but when it's there, it's amazing. Highs aren't grating at all, more of a laid back 'phone with silky smooth, near perfect mids. Deffinitely reccomended, Absolutely recommended if you can manage an EQ like my Cowon Q5W

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #40 of 41
The HD25-1 II is eventually what I settled on buying with similar needs but also needing portability and isolation. It's a very nice headphone that's very comfortable (if you wear it correctly - Split the band!) and very similar to Grado headphones in terms of sound signature, albeit a little less bright. It's very, very nice at 200 dollars.

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #41 of 41
Hi again,
Just wanted to throw in that I went with the HD25-1 II headphones as well.  Got them a few months ago actually and like them.  Thanks everyone for the recommendations and advice.

I picked up a FiiO E17 as well...nice piece of kit.

I know this thread is several months old now, but hate when people start a thread and then don't finish it :)

I'm still curious of the Grado SR225i's though....comfort aside, I would like to try them out.

Anyone want to trade (+ some cash I suppose... :)) for my old SR80 (non-i).

I feel like that I have a nice closed can, I need a nice open one now.

I've been following the V-MODA M-100 thread closely too and am very curious of those...but I feel that I already have a closed can, doesn't make much sense to get an M100 too.

I got the 'headphone upgrade' bug haha.  However, as the fellow Canucks know, we don't have a huge selection up here and pay more for it....I don't really have the luxury to go to a store and listen for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back