Headphones for Melos
Jan 15, 2003 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Wondering about some pairing of headphones for a Melos SHA-1. So far I've tried and liked the following:
HD600/Cardas
Ety 4P/S
Grado SR60

I'm wondering about the Grado HP's and RS's or maybe the Sony CD3k?

Jan 15, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 15
The question you should be asking is, which one should I get first
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 15, 2003 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 15
You might want to ask some members here(markl comes to mind) about their experiences with the sony cd3000s. I believe markl used his with sony r10s as well
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 15, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
Weren't the Melos originally voiced with the HP-1 in mind?

Yep. If you're looking for THE headphone for the SHA-1, the HP-1000 is it, IMO

Jan 15, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Yep. If you're looking for THE headphone for the SHA-1, the HP-1000 is it, IMO

From what I can tell, the SR-200--not the SR-225--has a similar attraction to the SHAs. I don't remember the Alessandro MSP, an RS-1 derivative, doing nearly as well at roughly five times the retail price.

NGF

Jan 15, 2003 at 4:39 AM Post #7 of 15
Have you heard the SR-80's with it? i tried it at a local shop, and was very pleased with the results. I almost perfered it over my beyerdynamics, if it weren't for comfort issues, and sharp highs, i'd own the thing. IMO, the 80's base defination makes them far better than the 60's.

Jan 15, 2003 at 8:59 AM Post #9 of 15
I would definitely recommend the HP-1/2's or the W2002. I personally feel that the W2002 sounds better then the HP-1/2 out of the Melos, but do know that the W2002 is colored. So if you are after a more neutral sound the HP-1/2 is definitely the way to go.

Jan 15, 2003 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 15
I'm not sure if other Melos/HD600 users have noticed this as well, but I find myself turning the volume pot close to the 3 'o clock position on quite a few CDs, which results in noticeable distortion. With a lower impedance 'phone like the Grado RS2, there's no need to go beyond 11 'o clock (and there's certainly no distortion at that point)..I had the same beef with the Sonic Adventure Reality/HD600 combo as well.
I'd say that you should stick with low impedance 'phones if you'll be using the SHA-1; the HD600 is best powered by a good tube amp..

- Wasif

Jan 15, 2003 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 15
My vote goes to the HP-1's. I don't enjoy the RS-1/Melos combo and I have never heard the CD3000. Given the HP-1000's were used in finalizing the Melos...it is virtually a given to buy them.

Jan 15, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim
I'm not sure if other Melos/HD600 users have noticed this as well, but I find myself turning the volume pot close to the 3 'o clock position on quite a few CDs, which results in noticeable distortion. With a lower impedance 'phone like the Grado RS2, there's no need to go beyond 11 'o clock (and there's certainly no distortion at that point)..I had the same beef with the Sonic Adventure Reality/HD600 combo as well.
I'd say that you should stick with low impedance 'phones if you'll be using the SHA-1; the HD600 is best powered by a good tube amp..

- Wasif

Agreed. Combined, these two pieces sound gutless, the SHA-1 accentuating the HD-600's hollowness but bringing it some welcome pizzaz in speed and pacing. Although I hear this characteristic washout reduced by the CAD-300SEI and MG-Head DT and OTL, I haven't found an amp that complements it, what I feel should be done instead of warring against it to no end, throwing money at it, as it were.

NGF

Jan 15, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim

- Wasif

Where starting postion, zero volume? Mine's around 7 o'clock. I usually listen to my HD's at around the 11 o'clock postion. With the Grado's it's around 9o'clock. I have never driven them to distortion.

Jan 18, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #15 of 15
I've tried the following with my Melos:

HD 600 with Equinox and Cardas
Grado RS-1
Grado HP-1000.

Once you try the HP-1000's, you'll see what all the talk is about. They are great, and IMO, nothing really comes close with the Melos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back