Headphones for low volume listening ?
Jan 5, 2008 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mthrsuperior

100+ Head-Fier
I'm starting to worry about my hearing.....
I think it might be more to do with band practice than headphones, but...

I'd be curious what headphones might be recommended for low volume listening?
My fave cans are in my sig as are my 2 fave amps.

I know the RS1000 are well known for excelling at low volumes.

Anyway, price is no barrier. I don't want IEMs.
What I do want it a flattish response at low volumes which I guess would be the dreaded 'U curve'.
I'd be using these strictly for lower volume listening.

And remember what Ivor said: "If you haven't heard it, you don't have an opinion"
tongue.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 12
I think the DT-880s perform well at low volumes, but my all-time faves -- keeping in mind your "price no object" budget -- have to be the Ultrasone Edition 9s, which preserve their levels of detail and dynamics and also most of their tonality even at very low levels. Superb late-night listening phones.

best,

o

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 12
I find my Sennheiser PXC250 phones to be exceptional at very low volumes. They are very smooth sounding at very low volumes, but remain very forensic as well, so you don't really feel you are losing detail on account of the low volume. The active noise cancelling improves the situation further, since you don't have an IEM in your ear, but it cancels out external noise such as computer, train and airconditioning noise at least as well as any IEM, whilst external speech, telephones, etc remain virtually unaffected.

I love my PXC250s and I use them most often for extended listening, since as you say, very low volume is important for very long listening sessions. As I type this I am at my computer listening to internet radio with them, and I can hear my keys tap but can't hear the computer itself. And I am listening at around 55 dB with excellent clarity and comfort.

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 12
It's called the GS1000, and it's exactly what you need. It also doesn't sound very much like any other Grado.

Low volume listening doesn't need a "U" curve to sound flat. Lots of upper treble sounds very out of place at low volume, and that is not what the GS1000 has. It has a peak in the high mids/low treble and in the bass.

Jan 5, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mthrsuperior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be curious what headphones might be recommended for low volume listening?

Seeing from your signature that you are already familiar with the Beyer sound, I would suggest giving the DT 990 Pro a listen. It has a "U" curve frequency response that, due to the Fletcher-Munson effect, makes it appear more linear when listening at low volume. That's why I have a pair - very satisfying. For critical listening, I use my Stax, Senns or AKGs.
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 12
Yeah My 880s would do the trick if they weren't so open.
"Fetcher-Munson effect" =) Now I can call it what it is!
Thanks for that. I'll check out the 990pros too.

Also, I removed my snide remarks about Grado from earlier posts in this thread.
I'll keep the politics out of it and show a little more respect to a company who's significant contribution to audio is indisputable.

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 12
+1 for DT880. They are very detailed and balanced at low volume. Trebles that may sound harsh at high volumes are big + for this headphones at low volume.

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jecklin Floats and a Jecklin Transdyn. Adjust that Fletcher-Munson curve to your own liking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's called the GS1000, and it's exactly what you need. It also doesn't sound very much like any other Grado.

Low volume listening doesn't need a "U" curve to sound flat. Lots of upper treble sounds very out of place at low volume, and that is not what the GS1000 has. It has a peak in the high mids/low treble and in the bass.

X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back