Headphones for kids?
Feb 4, 2010 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

wgb113

100+ Head-Fier
Call me crazy but I'd like to get my four year old her first set of cans. I saw a pair of JVC around-the-ear headphones targeted at kids and Griffin's MyPhones intrigue me with their volume-limiting ability.

Anyone else have any recommendations? She'd be using them in the car with her portable DVD player and at home with our old iPod Nano.

Bill

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 29
Glad to see you're thinking about volume limiting. Whatever you buy, try it in situ yourself to confirm it can't play too loudly and harm her hearing.

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kids are so lucky these days lol

HA!

Those Griffin's limit anything they're plugged into to 85dB and apparently have decent isolation from outside noise, further reducing the need to crank up the volume.

I'm kicking around here looking for my first good headphone/amp combo and thought it'd be good to get her a pair of her own so she didn't have to borrow dad's.

Bill

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by iHelp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ultimate Ears "Loud Enough": Amazon link.

Oh, and on the Nano, you can set certain volume limits.

Those look cool, same limiting feature as the Girffins, but I don't think she's ready for in-ear phones.

Good reminder on the Nano setting.

Bill

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 29
I doubt her ears are big enough for in ears.

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kids are so lucky these days lol

I definitely didn't know any music back in the day...

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 29
You could also look at a pair of Koss headphones just because if they get broken they all have a lifetime warranty. Like iHelp said the nano has it's own volume limiting setting so you may not need the headphones to limit the volume as well.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 29
You probably already saw this, but in case you didn't, I had a thread going about this same thing here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rec...yr-old-468317/

Some interesting perspectives were given at the end regarding IEM's. I ended going with the Sennheiser PX200-II's simply because my son didn't want to stick anything in his ears. Plus I have heard they sound awesome, and they have them for a good price right now at Amazon.

Good luck in your search!

Feb 4, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #11 of 29
you can set a max limit of volume on the nano its self, so you dont really have to worry about the headphones doing that.

Feb 4, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #12 of 29
I gave my 7 y/o daughter a volume-limit Nano (3rd Gen) and Senn PX200, which is light, foldable, and has decent sound.

Feb 4, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #14 of 29
I don't recommend in-ears for kids due to the fact that as they grow, so do their ears.
Something real cheap and insane bang for buck is are the Koss KSC-75. Those are clip-ons thus you might want the Koss KTXPro1, which is basically the KSC-75 but with a headband.
Koss come with a lifetime warranty as well.
Both are sub $20 but easily sound better than sub $20 suggests.

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely didn't know any music back in the day...

I'm proud to say she knows nearly the entire Beatles catalog! She's started digging Vampire Weekend and the Arctic Monkeys as well.

Then of course there are the Disney princess songs...

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back