Headphones for Kids (Funny Story)
Mar 15, 2010 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pearlgirl

New Head-Fier
So we got our 5 yr. old daughter this Disney Mix Max MP3 player for the holidays. We probably should have just gotten her an iPod, but this thing was only $50, and had 4GB of storage, and it was Hannah Montana (how can anyone argue with that, right?). Anyway, we loaded some movies on it, as well as music and photos. She was super excited. We went on a trip a couple of weeks ago, and brought it with us so she can use it while on the plane. I should mention that it came with these little IEM's with very soft tips. We were concerned about these being uncomfortable for her, and maybe too loud, so we also got her a pair of Sony Kids Headphones. Once the pilot says it's ok to turn on electronic devices, she is so excited, she puts on her headphones, and picks a movie to watch. It starts playing, and she says she can't hear it. We turn the volume up all the way, and she still can't hear it. I thought she must be crazy, so I tried it too, and she's right, you could barely hear it. We had her try the IEM's that came with it, and while a little better, the volume was still way too low. When we get to Florida, we went to a Best Buy to get some better headphones. They sold us these Sony noise canceling ones. On the trip back, same thing happened, they weren't any better. We went to Best Buy this afternoon to return those too. The sales guy there actually suggested the Dre's! No kidding. We also had our 2 yr. old with us. They were in the store, both had the Dre's on, listening to some hip hop, dancing around, so hilarious. Some dudes walked by and were cracking up. Now there's no way that I am getting those for my 5 yr. old, that's crazy.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions for a solution to this? Are there any reasonably priced headphones that are tuned super loud?

Does anyone know how to increase the volume on movies on the player itself? I used PocketDVD Wizard software to get the movies on the player. There is no volume adjustment capability that I can tell.

Thanks.

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 9
Sounds like the disney player is either buggy, or designed to be quiet so small children dont damage their ears. any way you could return/replace it?

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 9
Do you know if it's just movies that play really quietly, or does the music play quietly too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pearlgirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We went to Best Buy this afternoon to return those too. The sales guy there actually suggested the Dre's! No kidding.

I went to Best Buy knowing that I wanted to get a pair of Klipsch S4s, and when they didn't have any in stock, the Best Buy salesman led me over to the Monster setup they had and suggested the full-size Dre's -- not at all similar to what I was originally looking for. I guess Best Buy likes to push the Dre's, apparently even to 5 and 2 year olds
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zida /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like the disney player is either buggy, or designed to be quiet so small children dont damage their ears. any way you could return/replace it?

+1

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 9
Sophonax;6478587 said:
Do you know if it's just movies that play really quietly, or does the music play quietly too?

Just the movies. Music is fine, plenty loud. I have a similar issue with movies on my iPod. It's not nearly as bad as hers, but when I put movies on the iPod, the volume is not as loud, and I find myself having to raise the volume on the player higher than the music I was listening to. For that I use HandBrake.

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 9
Definitely an issue with the player. IEM's should be able to go to ear destroying levels on just about any source.

You could try a cheap amp (like a FiiO E3 or E5, or a Cmoy) and see if that fixes the problem, but you may just need a new player.

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #9 of 9
So something is wrong with the hp out on that player. But give these a try for the young ones:

31-zmUklhmL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Amazon.com: Sony Mdr-222Kd/Pin Children's Headphones (Pink): Electronics

I got them for my 4yr old and know a couple other families who like them. They have a little more impedance so the volume won't get too high. Obviously, this won't work in your current situation...but you should return that mp3 player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back