headphones for jazz
Feb 4, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #46 of 65

vvanrij

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Posts
2,961
Likes
17
I think we almost got everybody's opinion now. I hope you have made a list of all the recommendations. Imo these threads get less and less interesting for new persons. How is he going to listen to all headphones that were mentioned here. (almost) everybody is just gonna put up there own headphones. Some people only have ever heard a HD600 and go like, o yeah, definetly that is the best headphone for jazz... really helpfull.
 
Feb 4, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #47 of 65

librarian

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Posts
658
Likes
19
@Vvanrij: actually, I think it's very helpful. I'm a total newbie into headfi, so everything you all say, is valuable :) The more, the better!!! At the time, I'm more confused, than when I started - but that's allright, things are complicated. Life is :) At the moment, I'm thinking:

1. HD 600/650 (with tube amp)

2. k240 sextett lp/k240s/
k501/k601/k701 (which amp?)

3. RS-1/GS1000 (which amp?)

4. DT880/DT48 - AD700/AD2000 - D5000 - Goldring DR150 - Alessandros (?) - Ultrasone pro 750 - MS2i
 
Feb 4, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #48 of 65

Acix

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Posts
6,486
Likes
71
To much homework, look like the system crash...

1. RS-1, For 1950's and 1960's jazz.
2. K702, For modern jazz. And somewhere in the middle you can find the HD 600. Maybe you need the middle, but only you can tell. It will be more fun to start your experiment with the RS-1...
wink.gif
 
Feb 4, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #49 of 65

vvanrij

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Posts
2,961
Likes
17
Well you should listen to them all first imo. Before I got here I was pretty sure the HD650 was the best headphone ever, my opinion changed a good 150 degrees.
 
Feb 4, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #50 of 65

librarian

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Posts
658
Likes
19
Would this amp be a good match for HD 600/650?

Vincent Audio KHV-111
(Frequency range: 10 Hz – 40 kHz +/- 0.5 dB
Nominal output power: 5 Watt
Total harmonic distortion: < 0.1 % max. (1 kHz, 1 Watt)
Input sensitivity MM I & II: 5 mV
Signal-to-Noise Ratio MM I & II: > 90 dB
Mains supply: 230 V/50 Hz)
 
Feb 4, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #51 of 65

robm321

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Posts
7,971
Likes
208
Another HD-600 recommendation.

To stretch your budget the GS-1000 is excellent with jazz too, because they excel with acoustic or natural (non-digital) recordings. And the bass, which simulates the "rumble" you hear from speakers, really captures the feeling in the gut really suits the stand up bass.

The RS-1 is ok, but I wouldn't get them for jazz in particular. They can be sharp in the highs with trumpets. With flats, the RS-1s sound wonderful with jazz, but you lose any sense of a sound stage and the bass becomes woolly. I prefer the RS-2s with jazz to be honest with you.

The K701s were actually enjoyeable too but take a backseat to the Senns which have a more musical midrange. However, that can be a matter of preference. Listening to jazz on the K701s was really enjoyeable in a more analytical kind of way. Uncle Erik's testimonies would make me very interested in the K501s, if I were looking for jazz phones.
 
Feb 4, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #52 of 65

intoart

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 10, 2008
Posts
1,490
Likes
12
I listened to Kind of Blue on my DT150s last night. It was absolutely in-freakin-credible! I could hear the spit in the horns and count the wires on the drum brushes! Spatially, it was almost like being there (pretty impressive for a 50 year old recording!)
All jazz sounds fantastic on the DT150s (as does everything else.)
 
Feb 4, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #53 of 65

librarian

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Posts
658
Likes
19
thanks for all the answers, this is really great! I'm rather confused though... I'll be back...
 
Feb 11, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #55 of 65

librarian

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Posts
658
Likes
19
Just got my DH650 today :) Not crazy by the way they look, nor the way they fit. But maybe it's like new shoes, you have to wear them for months before you can say, that they fit. Well, new stuff is never as good as old. But I'm already a little crazy about the way they SOUND - even though I've only tried them for 10 min. through my pc at work. They sound very detailed and there's a lot of soundstage. I think they sounded right in some way. That's cool. Tomorrow I'll have time to listen to them through my NAD C352 reciever. Looking very much forward to that! Still researching on amp. Got my eyes set on Woo2, but that means that I must purchase the SAA Equinox cable (and the K501 and other stuff) further down the road. I really am excited about those new headphones!!!
 
Feb 11, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #56 of 65

REB

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Posts
1,626
Likes
22
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to Kind of Blue on my DT150s last night. It was absolutely in-freakin-credible! I could hear the spit in the horns and count the wires on the drum brushes! Spatially, it was almost like being there (pretty impressive for a 50 year old recording!)
All jazz sounds fantastic on the DT150s (as does everything else.)



Oh yes, the DT150. I still regret selling mine...
frown.gif
 
Feb 11, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #57 of 65

REB

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Posts
1,626
Likes
22
Quote:

Originally Posted by librarian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my DH650 today :) Not crazy by the way they look, nor the way they fit. But maybe it's like new shoes, you have to wear them for months before you can say, that they fit. Well, new stuff is never as good as old. But I'm already a little crazy about the way they SOUND - even though I've only tried them for 10 min. through my pc at work. They sound very detailed and there's a lot of soundstage. I think they sounded right in some way. That's cool. Tomorrow I'll have time to listen to them through my NAD C352 reciever. Looking very much forward to that! Still researching on amp. Got my eyes set on Woo2, but that means that I must purchase the SAA Equinox cable (and the K501 and other stuff) further down the road. I really am excited about those new headphones!!!


Congratulations and enjoy!
biggrin.gif
 
Feb 11, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #58 of 65

vvanrij

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Posts
2,961
Likes
17
The C352 does a pretty good job of driving headphones, I have yet to hear a <250euro amp sounding better.
 
Feb 11, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #59 of 65

REB

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 15, 2008
Posts
1,626
Likes
22
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The C352 does a pretty good job of driving headphones, I have yet to hear a <250euro amp sounding better.


It does? That's good to hear, since I was contemplating purchasing a NAD integrated amplifier.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top