headphones for jazz
Feb 12, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #61 of 65

Trav

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to Kind of Blue on my DT150s last night. It was absolutely in-freakin-credible! I could hear the spit in the horns and count the wires on the drum brushes! Spatially, it was almost like being there (pretty impressive for a 50 year old recording!)
All jazz sounds fantastic on the DT150s (as does everything else.)

Is it not incredible! On one of my Chris Botti tracks, for the first time i heard someone in the control room say, "that's it". The warm detail they yield is quite astounding at times.

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #62 of 65

pataburd

Headphoneus Supremus
IMHE, the HD600 do a fine job with acoustic jazz, but over time I've come to strongly prefer the K501.

With the UP-OCC solid silver recable, the AKGs further outdistance the (Cardas, RAL, and Headphile) recabled HD600 that I've also owned. The UP-OCC cable adds another magnitude of cohesiveness and tonal fullness/correctness/purity to the already excellent (stock) K501 performance. With acoustic venues, I reach for the K501 before even the D5000.

Can't speak for the DT48, but would like to try them someday. : )

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #63 of 65

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHE, the HD600 do a fine job with acoustic jazz, but over time I've come to strongly prefer the K501.

With the UP-OCC solid silver recable, the AKGs further outdistance the (Cardas, RAL, and Headphile) recabled HD600 that I've also owned. The UP-OCC cable adds another magnitude of cohesiveness and tonal fullness/correctness/purity to the already excellent (stock) K501 performance. With acoustic venues, I reach for the K501 before even the D5000.

Can't speak for the DT48, but would like to try them someday. : )

I doubt you would like them for anything besides jazz. My modded 48e is smoother and more refined then my stock 48s.. A tad warm, better bass impact, and more musical. I'm also using a 120ohm adapter which helps to give it life. I still prefer my stock 48s more..

Erik who has both the 501s and 48s said the 501s midrange sounds slow and sluggish compared to his 48s, but his still has the stock cable.

Feb 12, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #64 of 65

pataburd

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt you would like them for anything besides jazz. My modded 48e is smoother and more refined then my stock 48s.. A tad warm, better bass impact, and more musical. I'm also using a 120ohm adapter which helps to give it life. I still prefer my stock 48s more..

Erik who has both the 501s and 48s said the 501s midrange sounds slow and sluggish compared to his 48s, but his still has the stock cable.

KBBI,
The K501 are my headphones for almost every acoustic venue, including early, period, baroque, classical, romantic, etc., together with jazz. However, with the Bada PH-12 and the right recordings (e.g. Legacy Remasters), I prefer Santana--imagine that!--and other R&R/Pop offerings over the K501 as well.

Granted, I've spent a long time with the K501, so I've gotten used to/gotten more and more adapted to their presentation in the process.
PAB

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #65 of 65

librarian

500+ Head-Fier
I want to thank all of you for good advice. Especially oldblueyez and uncleerik: I bought hd650 and k501. Both great headphones. And your advice was great! I wanted to do some writing about my impressions, but haven't had the time. Also I'm waiting for my WA2 to arrive :) My old jazz records doesn't sound the way, they used to do. I changed the cartridge. Had a cheap audio technica, allways thought it was too dark and blurred. Still do. But the Denon dl110, that I bought, is to bright. On the other hand this is very good for most of my soul records. Some of my reggae records. Maybe the WA2 will warm it all up a little...

Buying these new headphones really was a huge step up sound quality wise, but it also challenges the rest of my set up. Good headphones are not very forgiving, but I imagined that anyway... You haven't heard the last word from me. Head-fi.org is too good. I'd love to share my experiences later on, but for now I need to listen :wink: Some favorites are: Al Green on k501 and Aretha Franklin on HD650. Thanks for getting me started!!!

Users who are viewing this thread